The Raspberry Pi 3

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3

Postby osanto » 07 Apr 2016, 11:36

PeteB wrote:
osanto wrote:To power the Pi3 + Digi+ with Ethernet connection, which power bank do you recomend? I will try the power bank solution...

I have not used one with a Pi, can't say how well they work for long-term use. Make sure the output is specified between 5.0 and 5.25 volts, not just use as a charger. Read the reviews on Amazon.

Some battery power banks can only output current when not being changed themselves, meaning you have to unplug them before turning the Pi on. Some lithium batteries are designed for short-term use, some are long-discharge. Some have a greater memory effect than others. Make sure what you buy is actually useful for what you need.

With this specs:
http://www.gearbest.com/iphone-power-ba ... mer_review
Charging time: About 7 hours
Input: DC 5V / 2A, 9V / 2A, 12V / 1.5A
Output: DC 5.1V / 2A max 3.6A
osanto

Postby PeteB » 07 Apr 2016, 16:05

osanto wrote:With this specs:
http://www.gearbest.com/iphone-power-ba ... mer_review
Charging time: About 7 hours
Input: DC 5V / 2A, 9V / 2A, 12V / 1.5A
Output: DC 5.1V / 2A max 3.6A

I think this question, and a discussion of power banks, probably should be asked in a separate thread. I am nor familiar with this brand, but perhaps if you start a thread about using battery power banks, someone else will know more about it.

Pete
PeteB

Postby DaverJ » 07 Apr 2016, 16:13

Any word on when the Pi3 version of RuneAudio player will get an update?

I love the software, but still getting little pops/clicks playing 24/96 music files off a USB3 hard drive via a Musical Fidelity V90 DAC. Hoping updated code for the Pi3 might smooth this out.

Thanks!
DaverJ

Postby PeteB » 07 Apr 2016, 22:54

Dohmar wrote:...If thats not a typo, thats 16amps...
No its amp-hours, the total capacity of the battery bank is expressed as the product of current and time, so 16000mAH == 2 amps for 8 hours, or 1 amp for 16 hours, 1/2 amp for 32 hours... etc. Someone please start another thread so the rest of us can find it later when we need it?...;)

The battery chargers do not normally have to produce "clean" 5V, because their performance is optimized for rapid charging a phone or tablet. I tried one a year ago, and it was a great charger, but not so great as a power supply. The output was not the direct battery voltage, but the output of a regulator designed to charge a battery as fast as possible. In other words it had some chop, and some small dropouts when the regulator reset for changing demand.

Btw, sounds like a great project, I hope you will post some details about it, and the DAC you are using in the DIY section, I would look forward to reading that!
PeteB

Postby Dohmar » 08 Apr 2016, 04:06

Hi Pete
Whoops. I was a little tired when I made that post and thought he was referring to a wall wart usb charger. Makes sense in terms of battery capacity..

Regarding my project, I have a thread on thegearpage.com which has all the details, http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... e.1686866/

Regarding the DAB support, is it possible for you guys to compile in the driver for the dongle? It would save me some dev work (I'm very time poor at the moment)...

http://www.dfragos.me/2011/11/installat ... linux.html

I also have some ideas about GUI improvement from a human interaction point of view, but I'll post about that in the dev thread

Cheers
D
Dohmar

Postby PeteB » 08 Apr 2016, 05:25

Dohmar wrote:... Regarding my project, I have a thread on thegearpage.com which has all the details, http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... e.1686866/
I took a quick look, and I will definitely read it carefully this weekend, :D

Post ideas for additional features in this thread:
http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/feature-request-f6.html
That way, other people interested in the same or similar feature will read it and add their votes or opinions.

I can't comment on DAB support, but I am sure someone will take that...[/quote]

Cheers,

P.
PeteB

The Raspberry Pi 3

Postby LogPi » 08 Apr 2016, 07:54

Hi Pete,

When you say that the quality of the Pi3 is not what studios expect. Do you have in mind an alternative ? Cubox or Odroid would be much better or not really ?

Thanks
LogPi

Postby Dohmar » 08 Apr 2016, 08:41

LogPi wrote:When you say that the quality of the Pi3 is not what studios expect. Do you have in mind an alternative ?

Hi LogPi
I think Pete was referring to the sound that comes out of the pi by itself, which is only 12 bit. CD audio is around 16 bit but some of the DAC HATS and usb DACs can go all the way to 32bit. Studio quality is generally 24bit.

-D
Dohmar

Postby osanto » 08 Apr 2016, 11:30

PeteB wrote:
osanto wrote:I think this question, and a discussion of power banks, probably should be asked in a separate thread.
Pete

I will do that. Thanks
osanto

Postby LogPi » 08 Apr 2016, 14:17

Dohmar wrote:
LogPi wrote:When you say that the quality of the Pi3 is not what studios expect. Do you have in mind an alternative ?

Hi LogPi
I think Pete was referring to the sound that comes out of the pi by itself, which is only 12 bit. CD audio is around 16 bit but some of the DAC HATS and usb DACs can go all the way to 32bit. Studio quality is generally 24bit.

-D

Ah ok ! Thanks. So I he was not talking about the use of a Pi3 with a usb dac ?
LogPi

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi