Playlist Issue Again

Raspberry Pi related support

Playlist Issue Again

Postby Hwrd69 » 08 Apr 2020, 17:56

I've asked this question previously, and though I received a response, I still am battling this issue and I can't figure out why.

I was told that the playlists are stored in /var/lib/mpd/playlists, yet when I create a playlist and store it in this location it is not recognized or "seen" by the software. However, if I place the playlist in the location /srv/http/data/playlists/ the software sees the playlist and it is listed in the playlist window. Why is this?

Also, the M3U playlist I create, though seen by the software, must have some sort of error in it because though it has the correct number of entries, they are all shown as "NULL". I've tried to use the format indicated in the quote posted below, but that didn't help. What is it I need to do to create a playlist using an external source (i.e., my laptop) and then ensure that the file format is correct and that the pathing is also correct. I've tried to read some of the MPD information, but it doesn't clarify what I am trying to seek answers to. Is there a "simpler" source of information?

Creating playlists and utilizing them should not be such an effort. But creating a playlist using the Runeaudio software when I have thousands of titles and there are multiple variations of playlists I want to create just isn't feasible.

I appreciate any all assistance and look forward to any responses.

Thank you

hondagx35 wrote:Hi ,

RuneAudio is based on mpd.
Mpd stores its playlists in m3u format in "/var/lib/mpd/playlists".

example:
Code: Select all
NAS/MyMusic/David Elias/01 - David Elias - The Window - Vision of Her (DSD64).dsf
NAS/MyMusic/Fleetwood Mac/Fleetwood Mac - Tusk (2004) {Disc 1 of 2}/19 - Tusk.flac
NAS/MyMusic/Amy MacDonald/This is the life/01. Mr. Rock & Roll.flac
NAS/MyMusic/David Gilmour/[2008] Live In Gdansk,Disc 2/05. Echoes.flac
NAS/MyMusic/Fleetwood Mac/[1987] Tango in the Night/07. Little Lies.flac
NAS/MyMusic/Music/Amy Winehouse/Back To Black (Lim. Sonderedition)/07 Tears Dry On Their Own.wma
NAS/MyMusic/Leonard Cohen/Greatest Hits/01 Susanne.wav
NAS/MyMusic/Fleetwood Mac/Rumours/04 Don't Stop.wav

If you are not satisfied with the UI and its possibilities to generate playlists you can try a mpd client.

Frank
Thanks for any responses and assistance.

RPI4
RuneAudio+R e3
Hifiberry DAC +Pro
Samsung T5 500GB SSD
Hwrd69

Re: Playlist Issue Again

Postby cmh714 » 08 Apr 2020, 18:39

I agree that the playlists are in /srv/http/data/playlists....

On your issue with a playlist of .m3u's, I believe it is the same as the issue I have with a list of Web Radio stations.....the script is NOT parsing the playlist properly and it shows as NULL. My playlists with just songs (or albums) does work properly since the script parses it properly. I tried to fudge a playlist in the json format but so far wasnt able to get it right :)

if you look at /srv/http/bash/convertplaylist.php (I think since I am not looking rn), you can see it doesnt handle playlists other than those with separate songs correctly.......at least that is what I believe HTH
cmh714

Postby Hwrd69 » 08 Apr 2020, 22:05

cmh714,

I appreciate the response. I looked into the file you mentioned and there is no convertplaylist.php; much less even a "bash" directory. I've tried differing pathing modifications and nothing has worked so far. I do not understand how it can recognize the playlist ("test/m3u" for my testing) but not recognize the data inside.

When I did some researching into the differences between what a 3rd party program creating a M3U file looks like and what the "non-extensioned" playlist (created by runeaudio) looks like, these were differences:

3rd Party M3U:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:234,3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
USB/HiFI Music/3 Doors Down/The Better Life/01. Kryptonite.flac

Runeaudio Playlist (note: this is actually just one linethat got wrapped in the "code" insert):
USB/HiFI Music/AES DANA feat. MIKTEK/The Unexpected Hours/01 The Unexpected Hours.flac^^The Unexpected Hours^^11:33^^#1 • AES DANA feat. MIKTEK • The Unexpected Hours

I guess I'm going to play around with this and see if this helps. What I don't get is that the playlist shows no extension and I found no way to display if it is hidden via WinSCP.

I'm hoping I get pointed in the right direction. We should be able to create playlist in the proper format using 3rd party applications on a PC without having to fight with the Pi and/or the RuneAudio software. IMHO

RPI4
RuneAudio+R e3
Hifiberry DAC +Pro
Samsung T5 500GB SSD
Hwrd69

Postby cmh714 » 08 Apr 2020, 22:47

Well then I guess you are not running the e3 version :)
cmh714

Postby hondagx35 » 09 Apr 2020, 08:37

Hi Hwrd69,

I was told that the playlists are stored in /var/lib/mpd/playlists, yet when I create a playlist and store it in this location it is not recognized or "seen" by the software.

This answer is from "13 Dec 2015, 11:10" and is correct for the version used at that time.

All MPD configuration ist stored in "mpd.conf":

[i]playlist_directory[/i] - The folder where playlists are saved into

[i]playlist_plugin {
    name "extm3u"
    enabled "true"
}[/i]

[i]Playlist plugins
asx                   Reads .asx playlist files.
cue                   Reads .cue files.
embcue                Reads CUE sheets from the “CUESHEET” tag of song files.
m3u                   Reads .m3u playlist files.
extm3u                Reads extended .m3u playlist files.
flac                  Reads the cuesheet metablock from a FLAC file.
pls                   Reads .pls playlist files.
rss                   Reads music links from .rss files.
soundcloud            Download playlist from SoundCloud..
xspf                  Reads XSPF playlist files.
[/i]

More can be found here:
https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/user.html#configuring-playlist-plugins
https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/plugins.html#playlist-plugins

Frank
hondagx35

Postby janui » 09 Apr 2020, 08:56

Hi Hwrd69,
As Frank says some of the plugins depend on the version of MPD. There have been issues in the past, specifically with m3u. If Frank's suggestions work you can automate the inclusion of the extra plugin's, see here: runeaudio-0-5-beta-for-all-raspberry-pi-models-t6532-130.html#p26218
janui
janui

Postby rern » 09 Apr 2020, 12:02

rAudio @ https://github.com/rern/rAudio-1
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi 3B > SMSL M8 DAC
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern

Postby Hwrd69 » 11 Apr 2020, 14:36

cmh714 wrote:Well then I guess you are not running the e3 version :)

I am now using the e3 version. I know my questions and lack of understanding of the RuneAudio & ArchLinux environment are at times tedious, but this is a completely new world for me. I, probably unfortunately, come from the Windows environment programming in an archaic language (I supported legacy test systems) so I ask patience with my inquiries.

I am trying to understand the process of updating the plug-ins so that I can get to install the M3U playlist. Unfortunately, due to my home environment, my Pi/RuneAudio is not hooked into the internet so I have to figure out how to get the plug-ins downloaded and installed via the LAN using the WinSCP/PuTTY environment.

I will continue my efforts and if I have more questions I will be back. I will also report progress so that maybe my experiences will help other newbies. I really like the RuneAudio UI and the sound of my system. I know that is done in Janui 's spare time and is not a full time commitment, I just wish documentation was more complete so that people not coming from a Linux environment could be more easily acclimated to the functionality and processes.

Thanks to everyone involved and who tried to provide some insight, It is appreciated

RPI4
RuneAudio+R e3
Hifiberry DAC +Pro
Samsung T5 500GB SSD
Hwrd69

Postby Hwrd69 » 11 Apr 2020, 14:47

hondagx35 wrote:Hi Hwrd69,

I was told that the playlists are stored in /var/lib/mpd/playlists, yet when I create a playlist and store it in this location it is not recognized or "seen" by the software.

This answer is from "13 Dec 2015, 11:10" and is correct for the version used at that time.

All MPD configuration ist stored in "mpd.conf":

[i]playlist_directory[/i] - The folder where playlists are saved into

[i]playlist_plugin {
    name "extm3u"
    enabled "true"
}[/i]

[i]Playlist plugins
asx                   Reads .asx playlist files.
cue                   Reads .cue files.
embcue                Reads CUE sheets from the “CUESHEET” tag of song files.
m3u                   Reads .m3u playlist files.
extm3u                Reads extended .m3u playlist files.
flac                  Reads the cuesheet metablock from a FLAC file.
pls                   Reads .pls playlist files.
rss                   Reads music links from .rss files.
soundcloud            Download playlist from SoundCloud..
xspf                  Reads XSPF playlist files.
[/i]

More can be found here:
https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/user.html#configuring-playlist-plugins
https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/plugins.html#playlist-plugins

Frank

Frank,

I found three (3) different files named mpd.conf, which one is supposed to be modified as in your suggestions above? They were in the following directories:

./etc/
./usr/lib/sysusers.d/
./user/lib/tmpfiles.d/

RPI4
RuneAudio+R e3
Hifiberry DAC +Pro
Samsung T5 500GB SSD
Hwrd69

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi