RuneAudio 0.5-beta for most Raspberry Pi models

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: RuneAudio 0.5-beta for most Raspberry Pi models

Postby konki » 17 Mar 2019, 13:28

Thanks janui for your quick reply, Rern's addons RuneUI enhancement is compatible with 0.5beta (works fine under Linux and Windows with any browser). This is a strange behavior under Android and ios. I add a post in addon's section.

edit 20190319 all warnings will be fixed in next update of RuneUIe http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/post27536.html#p27533, Thanks rern

konki
Last edited by konki on 19 Mar 2019, 22:24, edited 2 times in total.
konki

Postby nic » 18 Mar 2019, 21:09

I tried the manual gitpull , issue remains the same then tried the reinstall script , the same error still occurs.

It's working so I'll keep using as is for the time being

cheers

Nic
Pi3 , Kali / Piano 2.1 (with dedicated choke input PSU) ----6SN7 beta follower---BUZ900P choke loaded source follower---Beyma 15XT in 230l cabinets/TPL150H AMT .
nic

setting of additional "your-extra-mpd.conf" doesn't work

Postby werdandi » 20 Mar 2019, 14:23

hardware: raspberry 3b+ (latest), DAC -> "Project RS USB Audio 2.0"
software: RuneOs: Experimental Beta 0.5 20180903, RuneUI: 0.5b (gearhead), Hw-env: RaspberryPi 2 / 3

due to the mpd.conf on every startup will be overwritten/rebuilt the only possibility to amend options/configurational aspects to the mpd.conf (that are not covered by the available UI) is, to set an additional file in the /home directory, named "your-extra-mpd.conf" containing the desired options.
so i did:
root@runeaudio(rw):/home# ls -alh
total 12K
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Feb 28 18:29 .
drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4.0K Sep 9 2018 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 851 Mar 19 17:54 your-extra-mpd.conf
contains:
#############################
## your-extra-mpd.conf ##
## Playlist Plugin Example ##
#############################
#
# This is an example for adding a Playlist Plugin to MPD
# You could use this file for setting many other MPD options
# This file needs to be placed in the directory /home to activate it
# Set the correct file protections with the command: chmod 644 /home/your-extra-mpd.conf
#
audio_output {
name "Project RS USB Audio 2.0"
type "alsa"
device "hw:1,0"
dsd_usb "yes"
format"352800:24:2"
auto_resample "yes"
auto_format "no"
}
playlist_plugin {
name "m3u"
enabled "true"
}

playlist_plugin {
name "extm3u"
enabled "true"
}
#
############################
## end your-exta-mpd.conf ##
############################D
-> the playlist content (what i'm not primarily interested in) indicates that i copied this sample from an other post in this forum.
my main goal is to get the audio_options working: automatic resample (using soxr, what in principle is already enabled in the existing mpd.conf) of all pcm material to 352khz, 24bit.
the good news is: the system sees no problem with this amended file and the os starts and the player works so far, but ignoring the set options.

can anyone help?

thanks in advance!
werdandi

Postby janui » 20 Mar 2019, 20:44

Hi werdandi,
werdandi wrote:…my main goal is to get the audio_options working: automatic resample (using soxr, what in principle is already enabled in the existing mpd.conf) of all pcm material to 352khz, 24bit…
Yes you can do this, but not by using your-extra-mpd.conf.
I recommend you first experiment with SoXr by editing the standard /etc/mpd.conf file.
I was disappointed by the results of using SoXr resampling to higher sample rates. The hardware in the DAC's seems to do a better job the SoXr.
You need to delete or rename your-extra-mpd.conf, then edit /etc/mpd.conf adding the 'format "352800:24:2"' clause to the existing 'audio_output {...}' section. Play around with the bitrate, I found no improvement with anything higher than 96000, and even then you lose some high frequency accuracy in the sound.
If you could post your final 'audio_output {...}' section I will show you how to make it stay after rebooting.
janui
janui

Postby werdandi » 20 Mar 2019, 21:17

janui wrote:Hi werdandi,
werdandi wrote:…my main goal is to get the audio_options working: automatic resample (using soxr, what in principle is already enabled in the existing mpd.conf) of all pcm material to 352khz, 24bit…
Yes you can do this, but not by using your-extra-mpd.conf.
I recommend you first experiment with SoXr by editing the standard /etc/mpd.conf file.
I was disappointed by the results of using SoXr resampling to higher sample rates. The hardware in the DAC's seems to do a better job the SoXr.
You need to delete or rename your-extra-mpd.conf, then edit /etc/mpd.conf adding the 'format "352800:24:2"' clause to the existing 'audio_output {...}' section. Play around with the bitrate, I found no improvement with anything higher than 96000, and even then you lose some high frequency accuracy in the sound.
If you could post your final 'audio_output {...}' section I will show you how to make it stay after rebooting.
janui

hello and thanks for the recent reply
several aspects:
first of all - the pity is - playing around is not possible, due to a change of the conf requires a restart of the mpd what else requires a restart of the complete raspi (plug power cable or turn off via menu - it makes no difference) what again leads to an overwriting .... ;-) and i'm back at the beginning. so please be so kind and tell me how to make it stay that i can play around :-)
the other question is: is there a soxr alternative - prior i used jriver media center where the upsampling worked REALLY good
again - thank you in advance
werdandi

Postby hondagx35 » 20 Mar 2019, 23:12

Hi werdandi,

first of all - the pity is - playing around is not possible, due to a change of the conf requires a restart of the mpd what else requires a restart of the complete raspi (plug power cable or turn off via menu - it makes no difference)

Restarting mpd without rebooting is no problem:
Code: Select all
systemctl restart mpd.service

Frank
hondagx35

Postby werdandi » 21 Mar 2019, 11:10

hello and thanks again for your help
in principle it worked (interesting: in the play ui the 44.1-16 will be displayed unchanged, but the indicator on the DAC switches to 352 - so far so good. and... yes there is a bit of change in the sound but this impressions and the felt quality (better/worse) is absolutely individual and i really DON'T want to preach any missionary things - at least for me it is a bit of soften the sound and widen of the room ...
anyway BUT: what i told was for pcm material, but my now upcoming problem is: i want to differentiate between pcm and dsd material.
i only want the pcm material treated in that way, but left the dsd material unchanged, due to my dac can handle it directly (or at least over the package format DoP).
is the a way to set this ?
and finally remaining the question of making it stay after a possible reboot
again, thanks in advance
werdandi

Postby janui » 21 Mar 2019, 12:17

Hi werdandi,
werdandi wrote:...quality (better/worse) is absolutely individual...
Agree entirely.
werdandi wrote:..i only want the pcm material treated in that way, but left the dsd material unchanged, due to my dac can handle it directly (or at least over the package format DoP). is the a way to set this ?...
I am not sure that this can be configured. But there is a possibility, you will need to experiment. First look here: https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/plugin ... ut-plugins Look specifically at the 'allowed_formats' clause. Something like this could work:
allowed_formats "dsd64:=dop dsd128:=dop dsd256:=dop dsd512:=dop 352800:24:2"
You also need to remove the ‘format ...’ clause which you have been using. In theory, the DSD streams should be passed through as DSD/DOP at their standard bitrate (you can remove any which your dac does not support) and the only valid option for PCM is "352800:24:2", which should then be used. I am very interested in the results.
werdandi wrote:...and finally remaining the question of making it stay after a possible reboot...
I need to see your final mpd.conf 'audio_output {...}' section, please post this then I can explain how to make it stay after rebooting.
janui
janui

Postby werdandi » 21 Mar 2019, 16:26

hello again :-)
at the moment, i can't determine if the set option will be ignored or it simply doesn't work ( i know, it may sound a bit funny, but in case of ignored, i see the chance of correcting a mistake, that i may have done, but in case of not working it's more probable that i cant' do anything against that ...)
the actual behavior after setting this option is: dsd is being played as it is put in, but the pcm material also with its original sample rate properties - so you see, without having any more detailed log output etc. i can't decide if the player plays like initially not using any additional setting, or if in principle the allowed_formats setting partially works, but the implicite upsampling to 352800:24:2 only doesn't work
currently used mpd.conf ->
audio_output {
name "Project RS USB Audio 2.0"
type "alsa"
device "hw:1,0"
dsd_usb "yes"
dop "yes"
auto_resample "yes"
auto_format "yes"
allowed_formats "352800:24:2 dsd64:=dop dsd128:=dop dsd256:=dop dsd512:=dop"
}
werdandi

Postby janui » 21 Mar 2019, 17:03

Hi werdandi,
werdandi wrote:...so you see, without having any more detailed log output etc. i can't decide...
This will show you what alsa is processing:
cat /proc/asound/card*/pcm*p/sub*/hw_params | grep -v closed
I will get back to you on making the changes persistant after reboot.
janui
janui

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi