Wolfson card

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Wolfson card

Postby ericpeters » 16 Oct 2014, 00:32

I followed the instructions that dangardner wrote and I got the Wolfson Line out playing, however.

At first I thought that I had real good quality sound but after listening to a couple of songs I realized something was wrong with the channel output.
Sometimes voices or certain instruments would completely fade away as If they distanted very far away from the rest of the band.
To make sure I wasn't listening to a special version of a song I played the same file throug my Imac with external audio controller and the Audio output on the Pi and both ways it played fine.
I t looks like there is crostalk between the left and the right channel and this crosstalk is out of phase. It also seems is a certain frequency range because this does not apply to the bass range (otherwise I would have almost no bass).

Does anyone else have this problem? (The effect is very easy to spot if you play old ping=pong stereo recordings, I my case "Here Comes the Sun" from Abbey Road. George Harrisons voice should come from one speaker only but with the Raspi and the Wolfson card it glides between the speakers. This must be an Issue with the Wolfson Card (or driver / settings ) because when I use the Audio out on the Raspi there is no issue with the stereo (but the sound is pretty bad of course)
ericpeters

Postby ericpeters » 16 Oct 2014, 01:24

I already found the problem, there is a Typo in the script:

"amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='HPOUT2R Input 1' AIF1RX1" shoud have a "2" as last character.

Thanks anyway for the all the instructions here on the forum.
ericpeters

Postby nofx » 30 Oct 2014, 07:33

Like before can't get wolfson card work with latest 0.3-beta!
Changed kernel to wolfson kernel and after reboot I switched mpd to like snd-wlf.. but i get no sound through line out.
Did I miss anything to setup? What shall I do?
Has anything wolfson related changed at all since the alpha release?!
how did the cat get so fat?
nofx

Postby AndreR » 31 Oct 2014, 04:24

In order to enable the Wolfson card on the 03.beta I followed these steps which worked for me:
- in Menu/Settings/RuneOS kernel, select the 'Linux kernel 3.12.13-rt RUNE-RT [Wolfson Audio Card]' entry
- reboot
- after reboot, go to Menu/MPD/Audio output and select 'snd_rpi_wsp' --> Save and Apply
- from ssh run the following, which is a script from dangardner earlier in this post, with changes from ericpeters (thanks guys...):
Code: Select all
amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='HPOUT2 Digital Switch' on
amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='HPOUT2L Input 1' AIF1RX1
amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='HPOUT2L Input 1 Volume' 32
amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='HPOUT2R Input 1' AIF1RX2
amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='HPOUT2R Input 1 Volume' 32

This should enable your Wolfson card Line-out output straight away (it did it my case), else try rebooting
AndreR

Postby nofx » 31 Oct 2014, 10:41

Thanks!
What's the command for S/PDIF?
nofx

Postby AndreR » 31 Oct 2014, 12:09

The following should enable the SPDIF output (I have not tried it):

amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='SPDIF out Switch' on
amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='TX Playback Switch' on
amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='Input Source' AIF
amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF Playback Switch' on
amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF2TX1 Input 1' AIF1RX1
amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF2TX1 Input 1 Volume' 32
amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF2TX2 Input 1' AIF1RX2
amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF2TX2 Input 1 Volume' 32
AndreR

Postby GrumpyBob » 03 Nov 2014, 12:05

I have tried several times to get the Wolfson card working with a Raspberry Pi B, but I cannot get output from either the RCA outputs or the headphones socket.

I have selected the correct kernel (but I note that the I2S selecter is now greyed out), and run those commands from a few posts before this one.

Any further advice? I'm confident the card is OK as I have had it working under Raspbian.

Robert
GrumpyBob

Postby nofx » 03 Nov 2014, 16:14

Me neither! Can't get it work.
nofx

Postby AndreR » 03 Nov 2014, 17:15

The script for the analog line-out (that is the green 3.5mm jack on the Wolfson) seems to be working well for me.
I know it's a silly question, but have you made sure you selected the 'snd_rpi_wsp' output in the Menu/MDP page?

Regarding the digital out, I have had not a chance to test it yet, but the following works, at least on my setup, in order to enable the headset output which is the black 3.5mm jack just beside the aforementioned green line-out jack (it lowers the volume a bit for the headset, in order to avoid possible ear damagea, although I did not find the volume to be particular high...):
amixer -D${CARD} cset name='HPOUT1 Digital Switch' on
amixer -D${CARD} cset name='HPOUT1 Digital Volume' 116
amixer -D${CARD} cset name='HPOUT1L Input 1' AIF1RX1
amixer -D${CARD} cset name='HPOUT1L Input 1 Volume' 32
amixer -D${CARD} cset name='HPOUT1R Input 1' AIF1RX2
amixer -D${CARD} cset name='HPOUT1R Input 1 Volume' 32

I will try to test the SPDIF out (coaxial yellow RCA plug on the card) and let you know wether the script given a couple of posts earlier works or not.

Meanwhile, if you are still running into issues, could you please post the output of the aplay -l command run from ssh?

Thanks

EDIT: there was a typo in the first command above - now fixed
AndreR

Postby GrumpyBob » 03 Nov 2014, 20:58

GrumpyBob wrote:I have tried several times to get the Wolfson card working with a Raspberry Pi B, but I cannot get output from either the RCA outputs or the headphones socket.

I have selected the correct kernel (but I note that the I2S selecter is now greyed out), and run those commands from a few posts before this one.

Any further advice? I'm confident the card is OK as I have had it working under Raspbian.

Robert

I can confirm the Wolfson card is functioning and seated correctly - I have it working smoothly using Squeezelite/Squeezeplug to play from my LMS system.

Robert
GrumpyBob

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to Raspberry Pi