Is rune still being developed?

General discussion about RuneAudio. Do not post any support or feature requests here.

Is rune still being developed?

Postby mickburke » 08 Mar 2020, 23:18

Just wondering? It seems a great system, but not terribly active (the latest version isn't even on their web site's 'downloads' page), so I wan to see if it's something I should build around or look for something else more active? Thoughts?
mickburke

Re: Is rune still being developed?

Postby martinb0820 » 10 Mar 2020, 05:53

I had the same impression because the Download link pointed to ancient software.

I found the following: https://www.runeaudio.com/forum/runeaudio-r-e1-an-improved-version-of-runeaudio-t6883.html

I downloaded the 20191109 release from a link on that page and then used the Rune Addons form to update to 20200213.
martinb0820

Postby Mecworks » 22 May 2020, 22:06

I am wondering the same thing. It seems that other players (Volumio, Moode, etc.) are making regular releases but the last official release of Rune was in 2014 or 2016 depending on the platform. That's 4-6 years ago. I'm guessing that it's just in maintenance mode now and is a dying project.
Mecworks

Postby Mecworks » 25 May 2020, 15:32

I had a reply to an issue raised on Github here saying that the project is not dead and that v2.0 is in the works; https://github.com/RuneAudio/Docs/issues/29

I responded:

How is one to know that v2.0 is in the works? I can find no indication on the web site, the forum is filled with posts of barely maintained and/or hacked versions but no announcements of betas or testing of v2.0 and there have been no commits in github for years.

There should be some updates to the web site that are plain and easy to see that indicate RuneAudio has a future and a road map. There should be some official announcements of releases and beta testing leading up to 2.0. If this isn't the project for 2.0, then maybe some documentation here that explains that and a link to the new repo would be a good thing.

Once it's easier to know about the future, less questions like this will be asked and the more help you'll get in developing and testing v2.0.
Mecworks

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to General discussion