Getting Tontec 3.5" Screen to work on RPi3

Raspberry Pi related support

Getting Tontec 3.5" Screen to work on RPi3

Postby rlsten » 27 Mar 2016, 20:45

Hi Frank,

Thanks for offering to help in setting up my Tontec screen on the Pi3!

This is what I have done so far:

1. I installed the 3/21/2016 image on the Raspberry Pi3 and set up wireless networking using a static IP address. Everything works, I am able to see the Pi on my network.
2. Per the Tontec instructions, I added the following to /boot/config.txt and rebooted:
Code: Select all
dtparam=spi=on
dtoverlay=mz61581

3. I created the file 99-fbturbo.conf in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/with the following text:
# This is a minimal sample config file, which can be copied to
# /etc/X11/xorg.conf in order to make the Xorg server pick up
# and load xf86-video-fbturbo driver installed in the system.
#
# When troubleshooting, check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for the debugging
# output and error messages.
#
# Run "man fbturbo" to get additional information about the extra
# configuration options for tuning the driver.

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Allwinner A10/A13 FBDEV"
        Driver          "fbturbo"
        Option          "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"

Option          "SwapbuffersWait" "true"
EndSection

4. I added fbcon=map:10 at the end of current line of /boot/cmdline.txt and rebooted.

I now get the runeaudio login terminal on the Tontec screen, but no midori. I entered startx, and got the following error message:

Fatal server error
[EE] no screens found

It was at this point previously that I started updating the system, downloading drivers, etc. One time I somehow got the screen to work. Another time I could not get it to work. The time I got the screen to work, I lost the ability to see the Pi3 on the network.

I assumed that the problem had something to do with fbturbo, but I really don't know.

So, on this attempt, I have stopped at step 4. I get the runeaudio login prompt, but no midori. The network works fine.

Now what should I do?

Thanks,
Rod
rlsten

Re: Getting Tontec 3.5" Screen to work on RPi3

Postby hondagx35 » 27 Mar 2016, 22:08

Hi Rod,

I now get the runeaudio login terminal on the Tontec screen, but no midori.

So your display is working.

The "xf86-video-fbturbo" package is not installed by default, so do this:
pacman -S xf86-video-fbturbo

Next thing is to check if local browser (midori) is enabled:
redis-cli get local_browser

The output should be "1", if not do this
redis-cli set local_browser 1

Now reboot your device and report.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby rlsten » 27 Mar 2016, 23:22

hondagx35 wrote:
Now reboot your device and report.

Frank

It worked! Midori is now visible. Thanks so much for your help.

However, I must say the Tontec screen is not very responsive, and it is quite dark. (I may have damaged something with all the handling of it, since it all of a sudden got dark before I made any changes). The lack of responsiveness could be a problem with the RPi3 not working well with the screen. I know that the Adafruit 3.5" screen has some problems with the RPi3 on Raspbian Jessie.

Do you know of any other 3.5" screens that might work well with Rune and the Pi3? The Pi 7" screen is great, but it draws too much power for battery use. I am trying to make a portable enclosure for the Pi and the Mojo DAC, and a 3.5" screen would be ideal for this.

Thanks again,
Rod
rlsten

Postby hondagx35 » 28 Mar 2016, 00:31

Hi Rod,

However, I must say the Tontec screen is not very responsive, and it is quite dark.

What do you mean with not responsive?

All these small displays have problems with responsiveness, because of their serial interfaces.
The touch needs calibration and is not comparable with a modern capacitive touch.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby rlsten » 28 Mar 2016, 01:01

hondagx35 wrote:Hi Rod,

What do you mean with not responsive?

All these small displays have problems with responsiveness, because of their serial interfaces.
The touch needs calibration and is not comparable with a modern capacitive touch.

Frank

By nonresponsive I mean I usually have to press a button many times before I get a response; sometimes it responds right away. Also, when I tap on the lines on the far right to get the menu to add songs to the queue, nothing happens.

I have a Lemaker 5" screen with a Banana Pro that responds immediately. The only problem with the Banana Pro screen is I can't figure out how to scroll except using scroll bars, and there's no Rune Audio for the Banana Pro. Hint. ;)

I figured the Tontec needs calibration, but I was going to wait until tomorrow to bother you about that. :mrgreen:
Do I have to download a special package for calibration, or is the xinput_calibrator already installed?

Rod
rlsten

Postby hondagx35 » 28 Mar 2016, 01:16

Hi,

you have to install the calibrator

pacman -S xinput_calibrator

Did you try it with a stylus (pen), most resistive touch do not like your fingers.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby rlsten » 28 Mar 2016, 13:23

Franks,

Thanks for your help with the screen.

I'm afraid what I really need is a good 3.5" capacitive screen; I had the Tontec laying around and I thought I'd give it a shot. If you or anyone else knows where I can get a 3.5" screen that connects directly to the Pi (not to the HDMI port) and works with Rune that would be great.

Thanks again,
Rod
rlsten

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi