Problem loading large library

Raspberry Pi related support

Problem loading large library

Postby chisoxaddict » 26 Mar 2015, 02:43

Hi all -

I loaded RuneAudio onto my B+ rpi this past weekend. I mounted a NAS share of about 160GB of mp3s, and i got the 'Connecting' spinner for a bit. 2 days later, the spinner is still going, so I hard reset the device, and the nas share is still inaccessible. I removed that mount and added a much smaller one just to test it out, and that comes up fine. I should also note, I tried volumio a few months ago and had the same issues.

Is 160GB of mp3s too large? Should I have just left it longer?

Thanks for the help
chisoxaddict

Re: Problem loading large library

Postby dagsix » 26 Mar 2015, 05:17

I had issues as well with my Pi2 crapping out with a large library (over 10k songs/over a hundred directories).... I had each band in its own directory with sub-directories for each album....

I changed my file structure to a directory for each letter so /A for bands that start with A (Anthrax, Animals etc...) were together B...C... etc... then it seemed to load considerably better.

I guess this is a work around. I'm not sure what the limits are but I couldn't access the directories from samba or windows share without it timing out. I could still ssh to the RuneAudio server however.

I guess it would be nice to know if the library is *really* still recompiling or if it has actually froze.
dagsix

Postby ptiboubou » 26 Mar 2015, 15:18

Strange... I have a 1To library on 2 different NAS with flac/mp3/DSD files and it take less than 5 min to update the library
ptiboubou

Postby ACX » 26 Mar 2015, 17:37

I suppose MPD could have some issues during the indexing if there are some corrupted or bad tagged files in your collection. Please check for it, as I never experieced such issues with a library of almost 13k entries.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby creamy » 22 Jan 2017, 18:55

I had this same issue, and was about to revert back to Volumio due to not having most of my music available on Rune. However, I think I've fixed the issue in my case.

1) Navigate through to Network Mounts to your music drive, and scroll to the bottom of the list. Identify the last artist listed.
2) Open this folder on your storage device, and look through the contents of the media folders. If you have any files beginning with a dot e.g. "._01 Put The Needle On It.mp3", delete these.

Having deleted these files, MPD automatically progressed past this artist and continued to catalogue the rest.

So MPD needs to just ignore any files beginning with a "."?

Is this a simple fix?
creamy

Postby creamy » 22 Jan 2017, 19:06

A quick way to find all such files in Wndows 10 is to open your music folders in File Explorer and enter the following in the search box :

filename:*._
creamy

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi