Noob running from terminal

Raspberry Pi related support

Noob running from terminal

Postby demonboy » 03 Dec 2017, 12:43

Hi guys,

Interested to try out Rune. I've had an old Pi 2 knocking around and thought I'd crank it up and play with Rune. My first question is regarding how it runs: I've copied the image file to the SD card and have it running as a complete OS. Am I supposed to do that or am I supposed to run it within Raspian? So far I've logged in to Rune with user name and password with the Pi plugged into a TV via HDM I and external hard drive attached... now what?

My second issue is that I don't have ethernet connection (I live on a boat in a far distant land where technology eludes me, so sourcing parts is difficult). I understand that ultimately I should be running through a wired connection but I'm just playing with this at the moment. I'm relying on the dongle for connection to my network. Thing is there's at least two, sometimes three, networks running on my boat, so how does it know which one to connect to? At no point has it asked me to put in the password for a network. The instructions say "RuneAudio will now boot on your device for the first time, acquiring an IP address (with enabled DHCP on your LAN)."

So does Rune only work on ethernet?
demonboy

Re: Noob running from terminal

Postby hondagx35 » 03 Dec 2017, 13:34

Hi demonboy,

running as a complete OS. Am I supposed to do that or am I supposed to run it within Raspian?

Rune is a complete OS.

So does Rune only work on ethernet?

No, but for the setup process, an ethernet connection is very useful.
Rune is designed to be a headless music player, so no monitor and keyboard is needed.
Also, there is no need to log in.

The local display option is optimized for the 7" Pi touch display, so there is no mouse cursor visible.

Please try my latest test image from here.
It offers an access point by default so it is easier to setup without ethernet connection.

Feel free to ask if you need further help.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby demonboy » 04 Dec 2017, 07:05

Just tried the latest image and I'm getting nothing. TV tells me it's receiving a signal, green light flashes on the Pi seven times. Corrupt download maybe? Will try again...
demonboy

Postby demonboy » 04 Dec 2017, 07:27

Yep, downloaded it again and same problem.
demonboy

Postby janui » 04 Dec 2017, 11:42

Hi demonboy,
Did you follow the instructions when you flashed the SD-card? See: http://www.runeaudio.com/documentation/ ... he-sd-card
janui
janui

Postby hondagx35 » 04 Dec 2017, 13:16

Hi demonboy,

I've had an old Pi 2 knocking around and thought I'd crank it up and play with Rune.

If you have a RP2 (not an old RP1) the image will work (over 50000 downloads).

Frank
hondagx35

Postby demonboy » 05 Dec 2017, 03:47

My mistake. I have the old B+, so that puts me back to where I was originally. Logged in at terminal screen with no way of setting which network it connects to.
demonboy

Postby demonboy » 05 Dec 2017, 03:49

I should add I'm happy to buy a newer model, that's not a problem, but I won't be able to do that until later this month and won't be able to test anything until the new year, so in the meantime is there any way I can get round this wifi issue with my current model, just to have a play?

And which model would you say is best for audio (bearing in mind I'll probably be outputting audio either via an HDMI audio extractor box or a DAC hat - interested in opinions on this too).
demonboy

Postby janui » 05 Dec 2017, 09:41

Hi demonboy,
You can use Pi B+ for a fully functional RuneAudio player. You have a choice of images, the official one here: http://www.runeaudio.com/download/#raspberry-pi and an unofficial upgraded version here: raspberry-pi-zero-support-in-0-4-t3711-80.html#p23506
The B+ UI performance if fine, but as you would expect it is a little slower than 2B and 3B models.
WiFi seems an interesting option, but it can be a problem when streaming (Spotify, webradios, AirPlay or UPnP/DLNA), it really depends on your situation but wired ethernet always works better.
The onboard Pi 3B WiFi is poor, an external dongle is better. So, you could buy one of these for experimenting with your B+.
For audio, the HDMI output of the B+ and the 3B are the same (video resolution is different).
All add-on (hat) soundcards for a 3B will also work on a B+.
There is a lot of choice these days for add-on soundcards, some need a recent kernel to work (that’s one of the main reasons for the upgraded image). Most of these are excellent and good value for money, it is a very competitive marketplace where you generally get what you pay for. My personal favourites are: "HifiberryDac+ 3.5mm jack model" - excellent quality, relatively low price and fits into most standard cases after drilling a small hole and the "HifiberryDac+ Pro" - see here http://archimago.blogspot.nl/2016/10/me ... berry.html for review/measurements, this needs a special case.
But there are many other products which can be simpler, have added features, etc., etc.. Be careful of buying Chinese sound cards on e-bay, these cards work and are cheap but can have disappointing sound quality (expect to get what you pay for).
janui
Last edited by janui on 03 Mar 2018, 22:06, edited 2 times in total.
janui

Postby hondagx35 » 05 Dec 2017, 10:51

Hi demonboy,

Wifi profiles can be added manually (/etc/netctl/profile_name)

Code: Select all
    Interface=wlan0
    Connection=wireless
    Security=wpa-configsection
    AutoWired=yes
    ExcludeAuto=no
    IP=static
    Address=('192.168.1.14/24')
    Gateway='192.168.1.1'
    DNS=('8.8.8.8' '8.8.4.4')
    WPAConfigSection=(
        'ssid="XXX"'