PCM2704

Working DACs, USB dongles, ...

Re: PCM2704

Postby rodgersan » 18 Nov 2014, 21:46

littlebone wrote:
rodgersan wrote:Hi,

Does it work if you use alsamixer to control volume? I got similar symptoms (permissions issues) and had it working changing mixer_device to "default" in /etc/mpd.conf. You may look for setting manually a different value for mixer_device.

Regards.

Thanks for the reply.

I edited the file and set the value to default. It was using the alsa mixer already. But when I restarted the MPD from the interface, the default mixer was overlaid with the old value in the mpd.conf file. Then I re-edited the file and rebooted. The default was overlaid again. So, I looked for the rc.d folder in /etc, thinking I would manually restart the media player. But there is no such directory in /etc.

#EDIT3: Sigh. I rebooted the Pi this morning and my mpd.conf file was overlaid again. And I could not use the settings in #EDIT2 below to fix the hardware volume control. I now suspect that I had a software control all along, regardless of what my mpd.conf file and mpd reset were doing. So, I think that the hardware volume control for the PCM2704 DAC is not going to be working.
#EDIT2: The following configuration appears to turn the hardware configuration on. Of course, I could be fooling myself. It's been known to happen. :)

Code: Select all
audio_output {
name       "USB Audio DAC"
type       "alsa"
device       "hw:1,0"
mixer_type    "hardware"
#mixer_type   "software"
#mixer_device    "hw:hw:1,0"
mixer_device   "default"
#mixer_control    ",0"
mixer_control   "PCM,0"
mixer_index    "0"
dsd_usb    "yes"
auto_resample    "no"
auto_format    "no"
enabled    "yes"
}

audio_output {
name       "bcm2835 ALSA"
type       "alsa"
device       "hw:0,0"
mixer_type    "hardware"
mixer_device    "hw:hw:0,0"
mixer_control    ",0"
mixer_index    "0"
dsd_usb    "yes"
auto_resample    "no"
auto_format    "no"
}

I did an MPD reset following that edit and now the hardware volume control works. The MPD settings screen now shows me that the file has been manually modified and offers to either let me continue that way, or to reset back to defaults. For now, I'll keep my settings.

#EDIT1: I searched the forums for some idea of how to reset the MPD. I stumbled upon the command systemctl restart mpd. That did restart the MPD, but the setting of 'default' for mixer type did not fix the volume control for a hardware DAC. It is still stuck at 100.

I was sure I did a restart... it seems I didn't... webpage mpd settings (with my own settings) are back....

Found this on another thread so I guess current behavior is an issue:

ACX wrote:Hi siam28,
the right file is /etc/mpd.conf, have you edited that one?
When you manually edit it you should only get a warning in the UI, telling you that manual modifications have been done, losing the possibility to use the configuration wizard. But manual modifications should stay after a reboot... what else did you do?

Tried:

Code: Select all
find / -name mpd.conf

I get 3 results but none of them seems to be that default configuration... I am probably never going to reboot runeaudio again!!

Well sorry this goes beyond my knowledge...
rodgersan

Postby apocalipsis1234 » 19 Nov 2014, 16:38

I had same "trouble" with rune 0.3 alfa, it works, but only with software volume control, in alsamixer volume control works ok.
apocalipsis1234

Postby rodgersan » 20 Nov 2014, 00:29

apocalipsis1234 wrote:I had same "trouble" with rune 0.3 alfa, it works, but only with software volume control, in alsamixer volume control works ok.

So now that you upgraded to 0.3-beta, does it work automatically with hardware control without modifying anything?

Regards,
rodgersan

Postby apocalipsis1234 » 24 Nov 2014, 19:20

rodgersan wrote:
apocalipsis1234 wrote:I had same "trouble" with rune 0.3 alfa, it works, but only with software volume control, in alsamixer volume control works ok.

So now that you upgraded to 0.3-beta, does it work automatically with hardware control without modifying anything?

Regards,

Sorry... not updates for now (if works... dont touch it) i have to backup my sd prior to upgrade...
apocalipsis1234

Postby exetico » 28 Feb 2015, 13:34

I'm able to control my PCM2704 with alsamixer, but not with the GUI - Something went wrong.

I did choose Software mixer and etc..

http://pastebin.com/1xN3yUw1

- Raspberry Pi with 0.3beta.

Update: I did try with Volumio now, and everything is working here. There must be an error in the code, somewhere.
Raspberry Pi with Rune, Synology NAS, OVH Debian Fileserver and a Shuttle HTPC.
exetico

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to Compatibility list