UI stops working after several hours

Please report any bug found here

UI stops working after several hours

Postby uli » 17 Jun 2016, 18:50

Hi all,

since a few day I have the RP3 with Hifiberry DAC+PRO running with RuneAudio. I'm very happy about functionality and sound quality!

However, when I leave the pi on for several hours, I cannot connect to the UI (webinterface) anymore. Login with ssh still works but only using the IP, not using the hostname, which before was no problem. Looking at systemctl status it say "degraded" because both logrotate.service and shadow.service have failed:

Code: Select all
[root@runeaudio www]# systemctl status logrotate
● logrotate.service - Rotate log files
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/logrotate.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2016-06-17 18:46:00 CEST; 41min ago
  Process: 23229 ExecStart=/usr/bin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 23229 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 17 18:46:00 runeaudio systemd[1]: Starting Rotate log files...
Jun 17 18:46:00 runeaudio logrotate[23229]: error: skipping "/var/log/runeaudio/ui_error.log" because parent directory has insecure permissio
Jun 17 18:46:00 runeaudio systemd[1]: logrotate.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 17 18:46:00 runeaudio systemd[1]: Failed to start Rotate log files.
Jun 17 18:46:00 runeaudio systemd[1]: logrotate.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jun 17 18:46:00 runeaudio systemd[1]: logrotate.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

It seems to me that there is a problem with the permissions of /var/log/runeaudio. They are drwxrwxrwt.

[root@runeaudio ~]# systemctl status shadow.service
● shadow.service - Verify integrity of password and group files
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/shadow.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2016-06-17 19:37:54 CEST; 20s ago
  Process: 25907 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pwck -r (code=exited, status=2)
 Main PID: 25907 (code=exited, status=2)

Jun 17 19:37:54 runeaudio systemd[1]: Starting Verify integrity of password and group files...
Jun 17 19:37:54 runeaudio pwck[25907]: user 'mpd': directory '/home/mpd' does not exist
Jun 17 19:37:54 runeaudio pwck[25907]: user 'smbd': directory '/home/smbd' does not exist
Jun 17 19:37:54 runeaudio pwck[25907]: user 'upmpdcli': directory '/home/upmpdcli' does not exist
Jun 17 19:37:54 runeaudio pwck[25907]: user 'frank': directory '/home/frank' does not exist
Jun 17 19:37:54 runeaudio pwck[25907]: pwck: no changes
Jun 17 19:37:54 runeaudio systemd[1]: shadow.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
Jun 17 19:37:54 runeaudio systemd[1]: Failed to start Verify integrity of password and group files.
Jun 17 19:37:54 runeaudio systemd[1]: shadow.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jun 17 19:37:54 runeaudio systemd[1]: shadow.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

After a reboot, everything seems working again, but I think this shouldn't happen.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Uli
uli

Re: UI stops working after several hours

Postby hondagx35 » 18 Jun 2016, 09:47

Hi Uli,

welcome to RuneAudio.

Looking at systemctl status it say "degraded" because both logrotate.service and shadow.service have failed:

Failing services are never good and should not happen at all, but here i do not think that they are responsible for your issues.
- logrotate can be removed (we do not log much)
pacman -R logrotate

- shadow misses some home folders, nothing that will block access

Login with ssh still works but only using the IP, not using the hostname, which before was no problem.

Did you try to connect to the UI via IP?

I have multiple devices running Rune and never had this issue.
As you you are not the only user with this issue, i really would like to help and find the problem.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby uli » 18 Jun 2016, 11:23

Hi Frank,

thanks for the reply! I guess I'll remove the logrotate package then. Shouldn't the permissions of /var/log/runeaude be rwxr-xr-x anyway?

I think I've tried getting to the UI through IP without success. But I have to try again next time, sorry...

Note that I'm running kernel 4.4 (Updated following http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/post14507.html?hilit=kernel%204.4%20update#p14507)
Also I'm using the RuneAudio in its origin/dev version (updated via git pull in /var/www/).

Let me know if I can help with any other tests or logs...

Thanks,
Uli
uli

Postby uli » 27 Jun 2016, 22:20

Hi there,

It happened again twice over the last days, the runeaudio.local URL was not accessible any more. Everything WORKS using the IP address (ssh and the UI as well). Disconnecting and reconnecting the network cable brought everything back to normal...

If I understand correctly RuneAudio uses avahi to establish the .local address. Looking at the arch wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Avahi it says to edit the hosts: line in /etc/nsswitch.conf like so:
hosts: files mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns myhostname

In RuneAudio this isn't the case. Could this be related?

I couldn't find anything obvious in any of the journals (http://pastebin.com/9rYJzXtB). I forgot save the debug info from the RuneUI, sorry.

EDIT: Just happened again, here the http://pastebin.com/uyG08a9d fresh debug info.

Thanks,
Uli

BTW: RuneAudio still sounds awesome! :-)
uli

Postby magic-music » 27 Jan 2017, 08:46

Bump.

I'm a new RuneAudio user. After trying a QED uPlay for 6 months and being unhappy with it, I read good things about RuneAudio, and so far I love it - with the exception of this bug.

I have a brand new Raspberry Pi 3. A fresh install of RuneAudio, no tweaks or changes.

I connect the Pi to my network switch, which includes my NAS. It found the music there and streams no problem. I also added 9 radio station streams, they also play back no problem.

However, after a few hours without using it, the UI is unresponsive. The Android app won't connect, and I can't connect via IP. If I ping the IP address I get no response, although my router shows the Pi is still connected. Every morning when I get up,I have to power down the Pi and reboot it, and the same when I get in from work every evening. This literally happens twice a day, every day. I tried doing a git pull from the dev settings to see if that update would help, but no improvement. The PSU I'm using is an ex iPad one, 5v 2a.

I'd love to see this bug ironed out, I really don't want to have to buy a timeswitch just to power the Pi down twice a day!

Just to confirm once more, this is an unaltered, untweaked version of RuneAudio. I downloaded it, used the recommended software to extract the image to the sd card, and plugged it in.

Has anyone got anywhere in tracking this down?
magic-music

Postby hondagx35 » 27 Jan 2017, 11:38

Hi magic-music,

the problem seems to be the Android app and not Rune.
post19185.html

Frank
hondagx35

Postby KrzyszB » 28 Jan 2017, 10:33

Hello,
First: sorry for my English, but I hope you understand me :)
I use RPi3 and RuneAudio for 3 months and I had the same problem when the WiFi card was set to DHCP.
When do I set the IP address directly in RuneUI problems disappeared. Perhaps a problem with my router?
RuneAudio working non stop, but once a week (or two) I do restart - prophylactically :)

I updated to the latest version of Linux and RuneUI too.
The only modification I made: setting samba to my needs.

I used before Volumio, but RuneAudio is much better: appearance and stability.

KrzyszB
KrzyszB

Postby magic-music » 28 Jan 2017, 12:14

Hi Frank,

How weird! I guess it will be interesting to operate Rune from the phone using Chrome instead and see if that makes a difference!

Cheers
Adam
magic-music

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Bug report