Hidden SSID and AP

Please report any bug found here

Hidden SSID and AP

Postby aistaca » 05 Jun 2017, 14:09

Hi all,

I'm quiet a newbie here and not sure if this is known bug or anything worth mentioning, but I'm gonna post it anyway. I'm using runeUI 0.4 beta rpi3 build 20170229 on Raspberry Pi3 using built-in WiFi. Hidden SSID is using WPA2 PSK encription with AES key, runeUI network set on DHCP.

1. (this seems to be mentioned somewhere in the forum) R̶u̶n̶e̶U̶I̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶o̶g̶n̶i̶z̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶i̶d̶d̶e̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶f̶i̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶f̶i̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶f̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶(̶n̶e̶t̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶U̶I̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶e̶n̶g̶t̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶)̶ b̶u̶t̶ ̶u̶n̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶t̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶l̶i̶c̶k̶e̶d̶. This was on the previous build 20160321, apparently now it shows unknown encription. This was fixed by removing the old wifi profile, enable the broadcast SSID from the router and connect through the discovered SSID panel.(common way to connect)

2. When AP is enabled and SSID still remain visible, runeaudio will connect to the saved network when available and host AP when unavailable (as what it is intended).

3. When AP function is turned off and SSID is turned back to hidden (assuming step no 1 has been done), runeaudio will connect to the hidden SSID (wifi profile is also shown in the GUI).

4. When the AP function is turned ON and SSID is hidden (assuming step no 1 has been done), runeaudio seems to not recognize the hidden network and proceed to host the AP, saved wifi profile is not visible in the GUI (it showed as no profile has been saved).

It doesn't really bother me much at the moment since I mainly use it at home, although it would be nice if this kind of minor problem can be fixed. See if anyone else can replicate this bug.

Cheers,

jimmy

ps: I also got connection instability on the UI on this build (20160321 seems to be fine) but SSH seems to be pretty stable, could be my router or the webserver?
Jimmy
aistaca

Re: Hidden SSID and AP

Postby hondagx35 » 06 Jun 2017, 10:27

Hi aistaca,

connecting to a network with hidden SSID seems to take more time.
The AP feature tests if there is an IP assigned to one of the nics.
- if yes, the AP is not started even if enabled
- if not, NETCTL is stopped and the AP is started.

You can try to insert a delay (sleep) before this line:
https://github.com/hondagx35/RuneUI/blo ... Y_wrk#L304

Frank
hondagx35

Postby aistaca » 08 Jun 2017, 11:13

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I have switched back to build 20160321 as the latest image somehow give very poor response and latency on the webserver side. I may try your solution later when I reflash my card.

While on it, is there a way to fix the replaygain (track and auto mode) and dirble (null) issue without reflashing to the 20170209 build? Or would it be better to use latest build and give you the debug info?

Jimmy
Jimmy
aistaca

Postby hondagx35 » 10 Jun 2017, 13:56

Hi Jimmy,

.... is there a way to fix the replaygain (track and auto mode) ....

please check this

.... dirble (null) issu ....

you can try this.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby aistaca » 10 Jun 2017, 15:09

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the reply. This may seems like a dumb question but.. how do I apply the fix?
Do I have to clone the entire git and recompile? Do I do it from master or dev, or get the code from master and modify according to the fix you point at?

Jimmy
Jimmy
aistaca

Postby hondagx35 » 10 Jun 2017, 15:15

Hi Jimmy,

you only have to find and modify the two files on your SD card.

/var/www/app/templates/mpd.php
/var/www/app/libs/runeaudio.php

The best way to edit them is to use WinSCP and Notepad++, but you can also use nano on the console.

Frank

- Get access to the console:
Use SSH from your PC
    If you are not familiar with SSH read this for Windows or this for Linux/MacOS
    The default login for RuneAudio is "root" with the password "rune" (without quotes).

- Use sftp to access files on Rune Audio:
Get WinSCP from here and install it.
When it opens setup the following:
- Session
File Protocol: SCP
Host name: The IP address of you Raspberry Pi
User name: root
Password: rune

That's it, connect and you can transfer files just by dragging and dropping.
hondagx35

Postby aistaca » 10 Jun 2017, 16:02

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the time and the guide. I am familiar with SSH, never though the sources would be in /var/www directory.

Dirble seems to response better now, although the UI still shows as Dirble (null). It won't load some radios (nonstop loading trying to open radio list), but probably because I'm inside China at the moment (blame the great firewall of China). The order of code on mine was slightly different from yours (not in similar line number), maybe I should copy your entire code and replace mine?

Replaygain works as it should (or maybe?), I couldn't hear the difference on a few songs, maybe just missing tags.

Best regards,
Jimmy
Jimmy
aistaca

Postby aistaca » 13 Jun 2017, 08:47

Hi Frank,

I got a new SD card today and able to test your solution on hidden SSID problem. I can confirm that adding sleep(100) does fix the wifi check problem. (now hidden SSID is detected)

Another problem I discovered was regarding the latency issue on the UI I had before. I'm very sure now that runeUI frozen up whenever it tried to load artist information and album cover. When all information are loaded the UI operates normally.

I really like the info panel by the way, it's very cool. However, as I am in China now, connection to outside world is very slow and this makes the latest update unusable for me. Just a suggestion: maybe an option to turn this feature off, maybe saved all information locally, or just general optimization on the UI and info panel (maybe running on separate thread?)

Anyway, thanks for your time Frank.

Best regards to the development of RuneAudio,
Jimmy
Jimmy
aistaca

Postby hondagx35 » 13 Jun 2017, 12:07

Hi Jimmy,

a suggestion: maybe an option to turn this feature off

It is possible as a hidden feature.

Get access to the console and enter:
Code: Select all
redis-cli set lyric 0
redis-cli set artist-info 0

This should disable searching the net for additional info about lyric and artist.

Frank

- Get access to the console:
Use SSH from your PC
    If you are not familiar with SSH read this for Windows or this for Linux/MacOS
    The default login for RuneAudio is "root" with the password "rune" (without quotes).

- Use sftp to access files on Rune Audio:
Get WinSCP from here and install it.
When it opens setup the following:
- Session
File Protocol: SCP
Host name: The IP address of you Raspberry Pi
User name: root
Password: rune

That's it, connect and you can transfer files just by dragging and dropping.
hondagx35

Postby aistaca » 13 Jun 2017, 13:40

Frank, you are awesome!

Thank you for the help, it is much responsive now. I tried to turn on and off each of them, it does seems that both are affecting the UI response.

Jimmy
Jimmy
aistaca

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Bug report