The Raspberry Pi 3

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3

Postby hondagx35 » 27 Mar 2016, 01:10

Hi todvon,

you can use nano to edit files on linux systems.
But first you have to get access to the console.
Code: Select all
nano /boot/.xinitrc

Make your changes and use Ctrl+x to exit, you will be asked to save => hit y.

- Get access to the console:
Use SSH from your PC
    If you are not familiar with SSH read this for Windows or this for Linux/MacOS
    The default login for RuneAudio is "root" with the password "rune" (without quotes).

Frank
hondagx35

Postby Purpletrash » 27 Mar 2016, 06:48

Just wanted to say a massive thank you. Got rune running perfectly through my Cambridge Audio 651a DAC. What a fantastic piece of kit!!! Amazing job guys!
Purpletrash

Postby rlsten » 27 Mar 2016, 13:57

hondagx35 wrote:Hi,

no idea what it could be.

I first would try to play with the workgroup setting.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I believe this may be a problem with samba on the Raspberry Pi and not a Windows problem because I am unable to connect to the Pi3 using the samba protocol from any machine, including an iPad and a Windows 8 machine. Also, earlier I had done a full system upgrade (Pacman -Syu) because I needed some drivers to operate a Tontec 3.5" LCD touchscreen. I think somehow this may have fouled up samba or some of its dependencies.

Ordinarily, I would just reinstall the Rune image and start over, but, to be honest, I'm not sure I can recreate the steps I used to get the LCD screen working. It was very much an act of serendipity, and when I did try to do it again, I couldn't do it.

When I tried to reinstall just samba, I got a message that there was a conflict with samba4-rune, which I assume is some kind of special samba package you developed. Is it possible to reinstall that package and its dependencies?

Thanks very much for all your hard work. Other than this freak problem, which I am sure I created, this image has been working perfectly with my Pi3 feeding a Chord Mojo USB DAC. I have been using 2 SD cards (512GB and 256GB) connected via USB and it sounds great.

Rod
rlsten

Postby hondagx35 » 27 Mar 2016, 14:17

Hi Rod,

the latest RP2/RP3 image is a few days old and so has nearly all things up to date.

I do not think it is necessary to make a system upgrade to get the display working.
The overlay file "mz61581-overlay.dtb" is available on the latest image!

What was missing?
Please open a new topic for your display setup issues, i will help you to get it working.

Yes samba is a custom package, because default samba is a very huge package with most things not needed by RuneAudio.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby DaverJ » 27 Mar 2016, 16:31

The Pi3 beta is working great on my setup (Pi3 + Musical Fidelity V90 DAC, using the internal wireless), thanks so much for making it public!

The only little issue I'm having is an occasional "click" in the stream. Not really a click, but a little bump or hesitation. Sometimes I don't hear it at all for a long time, but then a couple times within 5 minutes.

Is this network or hardware related? I'm a complete newb with the Pi, so not really sure what I'm doing.
DaverJ

Postby MrDerp » 27 Mar 2016, 21:32

It's wifi related - I have those pauses now and then too. When running music over the cable everything is ok.
MrDerp

Postby MrDerp » 27 Mar 2016, 21:36

hondagx35 wrote:Hi todvon,

you can use nano to edit files on linux systems.
But first you have to get access to the console.
Code: Select all
nano /boot/.xinitrc

Make your changes and use Ctrl+x to exit, you will be asked to save => hit y.

- Get access to the console:
Use SSH from your PC
    If you are not familiar with SSH read this for Windows or this for Linux/MacOS
    The default login for RuneAudio is "root" with the password "rune" (without quotes).

Frank

As I've said above, Putty may get some server errors. At least, that was my case. WinSCP made my day)
MrDerp

Postby DaverJ » 28 Mar 2016, 03:50

MrDerp wrote:It's wifi related - I have those pauses now and then too. When running music over the cable everything is ok.

Well, the music is streaming over a cable - the files are located on a USB3 drive that's connected directly to the Pi3, and the DAC is also connected to the Pi3 via USB.

So I'm not sure what is causing those little bumps in playback.... Any options I can experiment with?
DaverJ

Postby PeteB » 28 Mar 2016, 04:32

You could transfer some files to the SD card to reduce the dependence on USB.

Change some of the RuneAudio settings, like buffer size, etc. (I doubled my default buffer settings in MPD).

You could also check the CPU load at the Pi, it should only be a few %, and if you see it spiking above, say 10~12%, something else may be slowing the Pi down. Memory too, not just CPU load.

You never said what kind of files you are playing, you could compare 44.1/16 v. 96/24 and see if one clock is better than the other, MP3 v. FLAC, etc.

Anything to narrow it down a bit.

Good luck, and I hope you get this sorted!
PeteB

Postby Discovery » 28 Mar 2016, 11:43

PeteB wrote:Change some of the RuneAudio settings, like buffer size, etc. (I doubled my default buffer settings in MPD).

Just out of interest, I prefer not to rely on large buffer sizes - a good design should be able to keep up without using this approach. On my Pi 2 and on the new Pi 3 build I am using an auido buffer size of 1024 and a 'buffer before play' value of 10% - both the minimum values allowed. It works fine on ethernet or USB memory stick.

As mentioned elsewhere on this forum, my ethernet connection is over powerplugs.

I hope this helps.
Discovery

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi