Samba shares

Raspberry Pi related support

Samba shares

Postby NickNightingale » 31 Jan 2015, 14:30

I am having trouble with a Samba share.

I have a Windows Home Server 2011 (HP Microserver always on) sharing a music folder with the Guest account activated. I am using an rpi with powerline ethernet.

I can connect successfully to the samba share and catalog all the music.

Everything works just great... until I leave it for a few hours.

At that point the share seems to have frozen. The Web UI works (until I try to control mpd) and I can SSH but mpd will not play. If I "ls" the samba share, the rpi freezes. There are no errors in the WHS logs but I don't know where to look on the rpi. Sometimes after a few minutes to an hour the share will "remount" and everything works again.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?
NickNightingale

Re: Samba shares

Postby NickNightingale » 16 Feb 2015, 09:33

Should anyone be interested...

I never solved the problem with SMB file sharing. However, I installed NFS on my WHS2011 box and (almost) everything started working properly. No more failures to start playing after I left the box for a few hours. However, there is a character set problem - WHS2011 only supports ANSI (and some Chinese options) and rune audio expects UTF8 or ISO.

I then discovered hanewin (http://www.hanewin.net/nfs-e.htm). It costs 19Euros, but it appears to work perfectly. Add ",udp" to the advanced mount options for higher performance on the rpi (I get 35Mb/s when rebuilding the library).
NickNightingale

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi