Samba Character Set

Raspberry Pi related support

Samba Character Set

Postby QuantumSchema » 31 Jan 2015, 02:40

Hi All!

First off, I'm loving RuneAudio! I came from the "other" distro (Volumio) and have to say I wish I would have discovered this sooner. Its faster, more reliable, etc. etc. Keep up the great work!

On to the little issue... I'm having what I think is a samba character set problem. I have a 2TB external USB HDD plugged in (externally powered) that houses all my music. I access it via samba to upload new music. I now have an issue with "odd" named files, ones using foreign letters. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like from a Windows box connected via samba and what the same file looks like from the console of the Rune device. Its fine locally on the file system, its just getting messed up when presented via samba. I've gone through and changed and regenerated the locales and I've modified the samba config to use UTF-8. I haven't been able to get it to show up normally yet. I can say that it showed up fine in Volumio but this could be a Linux distro thing (Raspian vs Arch). Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!
Attachments
RuneShare.png
RuneShare.png (2.43 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
QuantumSchema

Re: Samba Character Set

Postby Mat » 01 Jul 2015, 12:38

QuantumSchema wrote:Hi All!

First off, I'm loving RuneAudio! I came from the "other" distro (Volumio) and have to say I wish I would have discovered this sooner. Its faster, more reliable, etc. etc. Keep up the great work!

On to the little issue... I'm having what I think is a samba character set problem. I have a 2TB external USB HDD plugged in (externally powered) that houses all my music. I access it via samba to upload new music. I now have an issue with "odd" named files, ones using foreign letters. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like from a Windows box connected via samba and what the same file looks like from the console of the Rune device. Its fine locally on the file system, its just getting messed up when presented via samba. I've gone through and changed and regenerated the locales and I've modified the samba config to use UTF-8. I haven't been able to get it to show up normally yet. I can say that it showed up fine in Volumio but this could be a Linux distro thing (Raspian vs Arch). Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

Hi,

my first post here so thanks to developers at first. I like runeaudio everyday more.

Yesterday I have spent some hours trying to solve problem with unicode characters, same configuration. think I have tried all encoding combinations in file /etc/samba/smb.conf (unix charset, display charset, ...) but so far with no success.

When accessing to runeaudio samba from Windows (8.1) machine unicode characters looks corrupted like yours. Filenames in runeaudo UI library looks fine.

Did you find any solution?
Mat

Postby XploD » 01 Jul 2015, 12:40

How did you manage to enable Samba? I can't get it to work.

Sorry for topic stealling, and thanks for your answer.
Music taste: xplodmusic @ Last.fm
Audio source: Raspberry Pi 2 + Sabre ES9023 DAC + WD 500 GB HDD + TP-Link TL-WN722N Wi-Fi + D-LINK Dub H7 USB hub
Hi-Fi: Phillips DCD-7010
Mixer: Nady Audio MM-242
Misc: Tube Stereo Vumeter (Magic Eye)
XploD

Postby Mat » 01 Jul 2015, 13:03

XploD wrote:How did you manage to enable Samba? I can't get it to work.

Sorry for topic stealling, and thanks for your answer.

Quite simple as it is written here: enabling-samba-share-t514.html

I have the latest version of RuneUI (I don't now if this important for samba)
how-to-update-the-runeui-via-git-t547.html
Go to the DEV page:
http://runeaudio.local/dev
1) activate the Dev Mode (in the DevTeam functions section)
2) click on the gitpull button (in the System commands section)

I did start samba but I think it is not necessary.
Code: Select all
# systemctl start smbd

If accessing from windows machine open file explorer and type \\runeaudio.local (I use IP address instead). You should see some predefined folders.

If you want to share different folders there is configuration to fiddle with:
# nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

And restart samba after modifying
# systemctl restart smbd

I still have trouble to access samba share from my Philips Smart TV but I didn't give up yet.
Mat

Postby XploD » 01 Jul 2015, 14:09

Thank you! It was problem with my Windows, not RuneAudio. I was expecting to see the device in Network but it won't show for some reason. But when I enter \\IP-ADDRESS manually, it works.
Music taste: xplodmusic @ Last.fm
Audio source: Raspberry Pi 2 + Sabre ES9023 DAC + WD 500 GB HDD + TP-Link TL-WN722N Wi-Fi + D-LINK Dub H7 USB hub
Hi-Fi: Phillips DCD-7010
Mixer: Nady Audio MM-242
Misc: Tube Stereo Vumeter (Magic Eye)
XploD

Postby QuantumSchema » 01 Jul 2015, 15:57

Mat wrote:
QuantumSchema wrote:Hi All!

Thanks everyone!

Hi,

my first post here so thanks to developers at first. I like runeaudio everyday more.

Yesterday I have spent some hours trying to solve problem with unicode characters, same configuration. think I have tried all encoding combinations in file /etc/samba/smb.conf (unix charset, display charset, ...) but so far with no success.

When accessing to runeaudio samba from Windows (8.1) machine unicode characters looks corrupted like yours. Filenames in runeaudo UI library looks fine.

Did you find any solution?

Hey Mat!

No solution yet.

Its a pain because I wanted to keep multiple shares in sync but automated sync tools attempt to copy everything because its seeing different directory names when accessed via samba.
QuantumSchema

Postby Aquarius » 01 Jul 2015, 16:27

If you can, just use NFS.
If not possible, maybe UTF-8 can be a solution.

The sysadmin at my company says CIFS/SMB shares can be a pain in that regard. You're supposed to be able to add character sets/dictionnaries to solve this.
(everything is on the server side, there's no bug in Rune, as far as I can tell).
-- Aquarius
Hifi Gear: RuneAudio/Volumio on Raspberry Pi B + Hifibery Digi, Atoll ST200 (network streamer, DAC, pre-amp), Emotiva XPA-2, Bowers & Wilkins 683
Aquarius

Postby Mat » 02 Jul 2015, 16:31

Thanks for help. I will try with NFS.
Mat

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi