RuneAudio 0.6-beta for most Raspberry Pi models

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: RuneAudio 0.6-beta for most Raspberry Pi models

Postby janui » 05 Jan 2024, 12:01

Hi RoyB,
RoyB wrote:...
@janui or others. Please enlighten how the Sound Signature tweaks may affect the sound. What is the experience of other RuneAudio users with RuneAudio 0.6b?

There are some changes in 0.6b which may cause a change of sound quality.
1. There are routines which now detect a hardware mixer, this is automatically selected if applicable. Previously this was determined by a limited pre-defined set of parameters and correctly selecting the option by the user.
2. There were bugs in the old sound signature code. It was not documented, but a reboot was required to fully set up a new profile. This made it very difficult to compare the effects of a change. You can now change the signatures on-the-fly.
3. The kernel has changed. Some parts of the old tweaks are no longer supported. But there are new and changed schedulers which determine how cpu resources are allocated to processes.
4. In 0.5d there were no sound signatures specifically designed for the multiprocessor Pi models. In 0.6b all signatures have a default multiprocessor setup. There are also a couple of signatures specifically designed for these multiprocessor Pi's.
5. For some audio cards which have limitations for sample rate and bit depth processing there are improved MPD settings which force MPD to use SoXr resampling instead of relying on default alsa resampling.

For your DigiOne the points 1, 2, 3 and 4 could be influencing the sound quality. If you are using a multi-processor Pi, it worth trying the following sound profiles: RuneAudio, Dynabot, Frost_dk and janui. As before the effects vary per processor type and sound card, and 'quality' is very much based on personal preference. You really need to do 'blind testing' to be objective about results.

janui
janui

Postby RoyB » 08 Jan 2024, 14:59

Hi janui,

… There are some changes in 0.6b which may cause a change of sound quality.

Thanks for your extensive explanation!
RoyB

Postby surfninja » 14 Jan 2024, 21:55

I switched to Rern's rAudio a long time ago. However, I just tried 0.6b and it seems to work with my RP2 and Allo HAT.

Mount music nas
rebuild library
added a few web radios

Thanks for the hard work!
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 2B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 4B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi Zero W
surfninja

Postby phil10503 » 22 Jan 2024, 01:29

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
You guys are great. I had been using RuneAudio for several years on an old Pi 3B with v0.3 and really liked it. After a short hiatus, I tried to run it again and couldn't get it to run. Got it all jacked up and resorted to volumio just to get something playing but I really don't like the UI. FINALLY got it all back with this release, and MORE. I love the UI improvements and the ability to setup the wifi during first boot. Everything works perfectly and the UI is wonderful and intuitive. Will be donating shortly.
Thanks again!!!
Phil
Pi 3B with HifiBerry Digi+
Pi 3B+ with HifiBerry Digi+ transformer
Schiit Audio Bifrost MultiBit DAC
Bottlehead Crack Headphone Amp with Speedball
Sennheiser HD 650
phil10503

Postby phil10503 » 23 Jan 2024, 05:07

I'm running the 64bit version on a 3B and Everything works GREAT except for playlists. I made a queue and saved it as a playlist (verified that it is saved in "/var/lib/mpd/playlists") but it won't show up and runeaudio says: "No playlists found, return to queue"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Phil
Sennheiser HD 650
phil10503

Postby janui » 26 Jan 2024, 15:25

Hi phil10503,
phil10503 wrote:...but it won't show up and runeaudio says: "No playlists found, return to queue"...

Thanks for reporting this problem. A fix has been posted, you need to update you player to get it.

To update your player:
1. Go to the /dev menu - in the browser url enter http://<playername>.local/dev (e.g. http://runeaudio.local/dev)
2. Switch dev mode on - Scroll down to the 'Dev Mode' button and toggle it to ON, then click on the ‘Save Settings’ button below the toggle button.
3. When the UI comes back, click on the first ‘Save Settings’ button to activate the dev mode options.
4. Perform a git pull - Scroll down to the ‘Update RuneUI’ option and click on the ‘git pull’ button. The update will then be carried out and the player will reboot.

janui
janui

Postby phil10503 » 26 Jan 2024, 16:55

FANTASTIC !!!
Works perfectly, THANKS,
Phil
Sennheiser HD 650
phil10503

Re: Hick-ups/stutters playing high definition music

Postby janui » 29 Jan 2024, 12:00

Hi Beelzebassie & RoyB,
Beelzebassie wrote:...Just tried some audio files (primarily FLAC and DFF), but all bitrates except for 16/44.1 play with hick-ups/stutter at the start...Tried raising the "audio buffer size" to 16384 to no avail...

I have finally been able to reproduce the problem and have found a solution which works on my test systems. You will need to update your player to get the fix.

This fix is recommended for everyone using RuneAudio 0.6b.

To update your player:
1. Go to the /dev menu - in the browser url enter http://<playername>.local/dev (e.g. http://runeaudio.local/dev)
2. Switch dev mode on - Scroll down to the 'Dev Mode' button and toggle it to ON, then click on the ‘Save Settings’ button below the toggle button.
3. When the UI comes back, click on the first ‘Save Settings’ button to activate the dev mode options.
4. Perform a git pull - Scroll down to the ‘Update RuneUI’ option and click on the ‘git pull’ button. The update will then be carried out and the player will restart.

janui
janui

Hick-ups playing high definition music files

Postby RoyB » 29 Jan 2024, 13:43

Hi janui,

janui wrote:
I have finally been able to reproduce the problem and have found a solution which works on my test systems. You will need to update your player to get the fix.

The fix works! Great!

It also solves a problem of short interruption when playing tracks that run into each other.

Thanks.

RoyB
RoyB

Postby Beelzebassie » 30 Jan 2024, 14:07

...testing...

Looking good!

PS. Small cosmetic bug: On the queue tab, the total playtime has a redundant 'h' for a playlist exceeding 1 hour.
Raspberry Pi 3B (rev. 1.2) | Allo DigiOne
Beelzebassie

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi