RuneAudio 0.3-beta for Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: RuneAudio 0.3-beta for Raspberry Pi

Postby hondagx35 » 01 Dec 2017, 11:18

To get the best possible support, please specify your hardware and RuneAudio version. Collecting debug info is also suggested.
hondagx35

Postby MikeC » 01 Dec 2017, 13:43

MikeC wrote:Issue with a new USB DAC
I have been using this software with a variety of USB DACs for some time. These include the FiiO E10K, Schiit Magni, and 2 junk no name DACs
Today I received the Schiit Fulla 2 (That is really it's name). I can't seem to get this to work with any of my Rune/Pi's.
Because of my previous successes, I made the assumption that all USB DACs work. It works fine in Windows. It does not ask for a driver in Windows. I did notice a difference with this DAC in that the tradename pops up in Windows. Could mean they customized something.
As you can see, Rune works with their other DAC called a Magni (no volume control)
I also have a support request with the manufacturer, but you know they are not going to know what a Raspberry Pi/Runeaudio is.
I also tried the .4 beta without success. But I really like the .4!

Thanks for any ideas
MikeC

Thanks janui and hondagx35 for advice

Hardware Pi3B
release version: 0.4 (build: beta-20160313)
debug:
https://pastebin.com/ZeNmE8EJ

MikeC
MikeC

Postby janui » 02 Dec 2017, 11:06

Hi MikeC,
You have quite an old kernel with 4.1.20-1-ARCH, Frank's test kernel is 4.1.33-1-ARCH or similar. It is still important that the manufacturer tells you which version supports the DAC.
But from what I see in you debug is that the USB dac is not detected as a USB device. It’s a two-step process, first detection as USB device then detection as an audio device. You Dac is just not seen! Not sure what this means exactly, maybe Frank can add his wisdom.
But I would first check: 1. the USB cable, 2. the power supply requirement for the dac (if self-powered, or under 350mA via USB should be ok), 3. Check that the 'max_usb_current=1' line in config.txt is uncommented.
janui
janui

Postby MikeC » 02 Dec 2017, 16:38

janui wrote:Hi MikeC,
But I would first check: 1. the USB cable, 2. the power supply requirement for the dac (if self-powered, or under 350mA via USB should be ok), 3. Check that the 'max_usb_current=1' line in config.txt is uncommented.
janui

This is all appreciated greatly!
In my only response from Schiit audio they suggested power also. The unit has an extra usb connection just for additional power "in case". They said I should test it and use as much power has I had. I think they know they have power issues.
I did check everything in your USB power list. All cables work with a variety of other devices. All power supplies available to me work with other devices. I un- commented the "max_usb_current=1" . My read on this line it that commenting it give you greater power, so I tried both ways anyway.
I also went through all my available power supplies and hubs, and labelled in big print output mA (very enlightening exercise).
I tested with a variety power supplies, finally getting up to 2000ma on base Pi, and 3000mA on aux power on Fulla 2.
Also tested with the beta image (love that access point option!).
No help.
Even though I like the form factor of the Fulla 2 (same size as Pi2/3, nice volume control, large headphone jack), it looks like it is going back to Schiit. They have a horrendous return policy, 10% plus my shipping both ways; that is why I put so much effort into getting this to work.
After successfully working with 3 Raspberry Pi/Runeaudio systems, this is my 1st screwup on a USB DAC; I'm probably ahead of the game. I will get another FiiO E10K. The Fulla 2 had more output choices.

again, I appreciate the help. It won't be going back until Tues at earliest. Any other ideas would be welcome.
MikeC
MikeC

Postby janui » 02 Dec 2017, 21:18

Hi MikeC,
All the correct steps done, the only thing that I can think of is pluging it into a PC to see what happens. This won't solve your problem with Rune, but you may be able to confirm the status of the dac.
janui
Last edited by janui on 03 Dec 2017, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
janui

Postby hondagx35 » 03 Dec 2017, 02:02

Hi MikeC,

what is strange is that your DAC isn't recognized at all by Rune.
Have you tried to hotplug the externally powered DAC?
Have you tried another DAC with this setup?

Frank
hondagx35

Postby MikeC » 03 Dec 2017, 15:25

All the correct steps done, the only thing that I can think of is pluging it into a PC to see what happens. This won't solve your problem with Rune, but you may be able to confirm the status of the dac.
janui

janui
I rerun my Windows' sanity check every time I test a higher output power supply on the Fulla 2 to make sure it still works normally. It still works OK in Windows. The Schiit Modi 2 at least has an indicator when powered correctly, this unit does not have an indicator. I'm starting to suspect Schiit outsourced the board. MikeC

hondagx35 wrote:Hi MikeC,
what is strange is that your DAC isn't recognized at all by Rune.
Have you tried to hotplug the externally powered DAC?
Have you tried another DAC with this setup?

Frank

Frank
I'm fortunate to have 3 working setups of Rune/USB DACS in production (I'm only trying to replace an inappropriate DAC for an access point type portable unit). Every couple of test changes, I swap in known working Rune's and DACs to double check. Picture me with a notebook and wearing 2 sets of cans.
I did not know 'hotplugging" was an option, but that did not work out when I tested this AM.
MikeC
MikeC

Postby janui » 03 Dec 2017, 21:23

Hi MikeC,
As a last effort (before you send it back on Tuesday) you could download this image and give it a try: runeaudio-0-3-beta-for-raspberry-pi-t502-520.html#p23625
Should play out of the box and has a very recent kernel.
janui
janui

Postby MikeC » 04 Dec 2017, 12:47

As a last effort (before you send it back on Tuesday) you could download this image and give it a try: runeaudio-0-3-beta-for-raspberry-pi-t502-520.html#p23625
Should play out of the box and has a very recent kernel.
janui

Issue solved.

It ended up being the notorious "end-user is stupid issue". You and Frank were both correct. So much for my note taking.
Since all my other DACs were fulled size USB connections. The "data" USB cable was not swapped during testing of the Fulla 2. It turned out that I had a "charging only" cable mixed into my micro USB cables. I was changing cables, of course, and not realizing I was only using this cable at a critical time.
As a follow up - in case you need to know Fulla 2 compatibility for future issues, it is even working with the oldest of my installs (the one in the previous debug). Working on USB power from Fulla 2, it does not require the secondary power for my headphones - Sennheiser HD598.

Thanks to the two of you, you're team will be hearing more from me in donor section shortly.
MikeC
MikeC

Postby jackyworne » 12 Feb 2018, 13:27

just curious how I will put the image on an SD when using linux. I can't seem to find the previous instruction for .2 beta. Can I just use unetbootin? I have no windows around (haven't for years) , except those in the walls of my house ;-)
jackyworne

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi