RuneAudio 0.3-beta for Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: RuneAudio 0.3-beta for Raspberry Pi

Postby PeteB » 12 Mar 2016, 03:58

dynobot wrote:1+ years between updates [for some hardware] ....

I am guessing that some of the people who post here can't update from 0.3 beta to the latest builds.

I agree that sucks, because I've been there... trapped by hardware which is not evenly supported. By some stroke of luck I am one of those with a Pi 2 who can use the more recently added features.

Dirble and streaming radio stations is finally working well for me. Another big improvement was just yesterday when I discovered there is a simple fix for the drop-outs in the streaming radio stations that used to require a manual restart. Source of frustration removed for someone like me with an iffy Internet connection... :roll:

The remote control app released in January that you can now download to almost any Android appliance is a big plus, because I can now use my old Nexus tab seamlessly. The browser-based RuneUI works well on my laptop and my new-ish Samsung phone, but on the tablet, not so much until I upgraded to the remote control. :)

The local browser looks cool, and seems to have a lot of fans here. That is not so important for me personally since I intend to use Rune Audio as a headless player, but I am probably in a minority. :|

On the minus side, the newer Pi versions (2 and 3) seem to require Device Tree and device tree overlays for added hardware, which I barely understand the reason for. "Require" not "recommend" So if you have a B+ or earlier version, or another hardware platform, at least you are free of that "feature" for now. :?

dynobot wrote:...Over the past decade or more I've watched many Linux projects fizzle out....

Same here. I've stopped counting. A lot of lost time and talent.

Frankly, I hope that making use of Arch Linux turns out to be a good decision for RuneAudio... after all, the guy who invented it was a musician, not "just another programmer" ;) :D
PeteB

Postby hondagx35 » 13 Mar 2016, 11:35

Hi Pete,

PeteB wrote:On the minus side, the newer Pi versions (2 and 3) seem to require Device Tree and device tree overlays for added hardware, which I barely understand the reason for. "Require" not "recommend" So if you have a B+ or earlier version, or another hardware platform, at least you are free of that "feature" for now. :?

The next release will also have "device tree" enabled for the older RPs.
Device Tree (DT) is a great invention, because it simplifies and unifies configuration.
No more messing around with different configuration files.
With DT you also can handle multiple devices with one image easily.
The new image for the RP3 will also work with the RP2 because of the DT feature.

Most extensions (HATs) will have an EEPROM to save all necessary config information,
so the kernel will be able to auto detect newly added hardware.

The only thing we have to do, is to integrate this feature in our UI.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby PeteB » 15 Mar 2016, 00:41

hondagx35 wrote:Most extensions (HATs) will have an EEPROM to save all necessary config information, so the kernel will be able to auto detect newly added hardware.

The only thing we have to do, is to integrate this feature in our UI.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will look forward to having an EEPROM on my DAC board :roll:. In the meantime, I will try to do some more reading on the subject... or at least add it to my reading list (chuckle).
PeteB

Postby dynobot » 19 Mar 2016, 03:28

FYI - Software Development Philosophy

Release early, release often (also: time-based releases, sometimes abbreviated RERO) is a software development philosophy that emphasizes the importance of early and frequent releases in creating a tight feedback loop between developers and testers or users, contrary to a feature-based release strategy. Advocates argue that this allows the software development to progress faster, enables the user to help define what the software will become, better conforms to the users' requirements for the software,[1] and ultimately results in higher quality software.[2] The development philosophy attempts to eliminate the risk of creating software that no one will use.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_e ... ease_often

Rune uses Feature-based Release Strategy for sure.
dynobot

Postby ACX » 20 Mar 2016, 11:11

dynobot wrote:FYI - Software Development Philosophy

Release early, release often (also: time-based releases, sometimes abbreviated RERO) is a software development philosophy that emphasizes the importance of early and frequent releases in creating a tight feedback loop between developers and testers or users, contrary to a feature-based release strategy. Advocates argue that this allows the software development to progress faster, enables the user to help define what the software will become, better conforms to the users' requirements for the software,[1] and ultimately results in higher quality software.[2] The development philosophy attempts to eliminate the risk of creating software that no one will use.[3]

One of the goals of the new refactored version is indeed to allow us to release more frequent incremental updates. We have worked hard to automate all the building and deployment processes as much as possibile, and all the code is now better organized and modular, hence easier to maintain and extend.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby dynobot » 21 Mar 2016, 15:02

ACX wrote:
dynobot wrote:FYI - Software Development Philosophy

One of the goals of the new refactored version is indeed to allow us to release more frequent incremental updates. We have worked hard to automate all the building and deployment processes as much as possibile, and all the code is now better organized and modular, hence easier to maintain and extend.

That sounds great.

I'd hate to see Rune loose all interest in the audio community due to being too slow with updates. Rune came out the gates really strong with a great product, but as will all things audio and technology related, products become old and obsolete pretty quickly.

Good luck :D
dynobot

Postby mcharg » 26 Mar 2016, 00:36

dynobot wrote:I feel the same way. Over the past decade or more I've watched many Linux projects fizzle out. As audio player software goes this and Volumio are about as comatose as you can get before fading off into oblivion. Active projects like Foobar or MPD for example have regular updates [big or small] to not only keep interest but to show continuous improvement. I've been using Daphile on a x86 computer, which again has regular updates esp. on the Beta side....probably several per month.

1+ years between updates [for some hardware] tells me that interest on the development side is either lacking and/or they bit off more than they can handle. Either way its time to move on....

FYI, Volumio seems pretty far from being comatose :
https://github.com/volumio/Volumio2
mcharg

Postby dynobot » 29 Mar 2016, 22:23

mcharg wrote:
FYI, Volumio seems pretty far from being comatose :
https://github.com/volumio/Volumio2

Thats really interesting.

However I have moved on to the piCorePlayer [squeezelite + tinycore linux] They update it about twice a month and make nice improvements with each update. This last update brings RPi3 functionality along with a new Kernel and LMS. They seem to do a really good job in keeping stride for stride with tinycorelinux and never fall behind. Setup is straight forward and like MPD, Squeezelite is proven to sound pretty good and has a really solid history.

Cheers. and good luck to the Rune team.
dynobot

Postby nasdak » 31 Mar 2016, 20:02

Hi,
i'm very satisfied with RuneAudio and my RPI2+Hifiberry DAC+ Pro
i had to struggle to get the DAC+ Pro clocks recognized and HW control, but everything's fine now

I'd loke to try the new image with latest mpd and latest refinements but can i update without loosing all my fine tunings ?
updating only /var/www will not update mpd etc... am i right ?

nasdak

Postby hondagx35 » 31 Mar 2016, 21:01

Hi nasdak,

I'd loke to try the new image with latest mpd and latest refinements but can i update without loosing all my fine tunings ?

No you can't, because there are massive changes.
- kernel update
- firmware update
- all packages are rebuild

i had to struggle to get the DAC+ Pro clocks recognized and HW control, but everything's fine now

DAC+ Pro should work out of the box with the latest image.
What fine tunings did you make?

I would just grab a new sd card and test it out.

Frank
hondagx35

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi