Run Kodi on top of RuneAudio?

General discussion about RuneAudio. Do not post any support or feature requests here.

Run Kodi on top of RuneAudio?

Postby mika91 » 19 May 2015, 08:28

Hi,

I just got a RPI2 in order to replace my win8 htpc, with a HifiBerry Digi+ board.
My goal is to have an all-in-one box, for both music and video.
I discovered OpeneELEC, Volumio and RuneAudio recently, and now I have to make the choice of wich one to use!

In an ideal world, I would like:
  • Start/Stop kodi with my MCE remote (to prevent idle CPU usage)
  • MPD -> HIfiBerry Digi -> dac (best audio quality)
  • Kodi -> HDMI -> TV optical out -> dac (to avoid lipsync issues)

But is it even possible to install xbmc on RuneAudio? using pacman?
Possible to use two different audio outputs?

Thanks
mika91

Re: Run Kodi on top of RuneAudio?

Postby hansh64 » 03 Jun 2015, 15:51

Same here, except I want to use Digi+ for Kodi (DTS, DD surround audio) and MPD with USB audio (DAC). In order to run Kodi with Digi+ it needs to be recompiled with a patch, something I need to work out how.
hansh64

Re: Run Kodi on top of RuneAudio?

Postby Aquarius » 04 Jun 2015, 09:23

Rune (and probably Volumio, too) use custom built packages for mpd, the kernel and a couple of other things. Thus, installing Kodi on top will be easey but making it work will not.

I've tried that last year with (if I remember correctly) Volumio 1.2.
It worked but I had to manyally downgrade/change some packages so that kodi would install fine. I'm more a debian guy so fidling with apt-get was fine for me but I wouldn't try that for Rune because of its ArchLinux roots. I suspect it would be pretty much the same story. I haven't tried it because I don't know much about pacman yet.

Note that having Kodi AND RuneOS use the same Hifiberry Digi will also be difficult. MPD is configured to use the sound card exclusively and will not be happy if you force it to give it to kodi. In my setup last year, Kodi used the HDMI output for audio.

Conclusion: it can work but it's a pain.

EDIT: I chose the lasy way and uses a HTPC under Unbuntu Linux. The box is based on a bay-trail-D intel chipset.
-- Aquarius
Hifi Gear: RuneAudio/Volumio on Raspberry Pi B + Hifibery Digi, Atoll ST200 (network streamer, DAC, pre-amp), Emotiva XPA-2, Bowers & Wilkins 683
Aquarius

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to General discussion