Accessing the RuneUI over direct Ethernet (no network)

Raspberry Pi related support

Accessing the RuneUI over direct Ethernet (no network)

Postby charleskelly » 11 Aug 2016, 00:57

Hi guys,

I'm looking for the simplest way to simply plug in my RPI (via ethernet) to my PC, have my PC assign the pi an ip address, then be able to access the RuneUI through this IP in my browser. Note, this PC won't have any sort of wireless or wired internet connection, the only network cable plugged in to the PC will be the one from the PI. Any suggestions?

UPDATE:

So, I've connected the PI to my pc with an ethernet cable. This pc DOES have wifi enabled. The RPI shows up under my network adapters as unidentified network (I'm guessing this is expected). Running IP config on my PC (win10) shows a blank default gateway but gives me an "autoconfiguration IPv4 Address". Putting this IP into google chrome just shows a blank white page, no error nothing. Running this IP into Putty gives me: "connection refused". However, I can ping the ip from the cmd prompt and get a reply, However If I run "ping runeaudio" It cannot find the host.

What I can see myself from this is that it's not recognising the device as a raspberry pi (could be wrong). Anyone got any suggestions to move forward?

Disabling wifi has no effect on the outcome.
I'm using a standard Ethernet cable (but that shouldn't matter?)

Thanks
Last edited by charleskelly on 11 Aug 2016, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
charleskelly

Re: Accessing the RuneUI over direct Ethernet (no network)

Postby dunghnguyen » 11 Aug 2016, 07:07

I have not tried this but it sounds fine. Do you check if the Pi appeared in the network connection of the PC? If yes, from that you can find the IP to try in the web browser ? I have no idea but why don't u try it ?
dunghnguyen

Postby rikardo1979 » 11 Aug 2016, 09:17

should work with crossover LAN cable. But have to be crossover and not ordinary cable!
>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<
rikardo1979

Postby hondagx35 » 11 Aug 2016, 10:20

Hi all,

the LAN chip used on the raspberry supports Auto-MDIX.

LAN9512 (Data Brief | Data Sheet) (Model B) providing:
10/100 Mbit/s Ethernet (Auto-MDIX)

So no need for an extra crossover cable, a normal patch cable should do the trick.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby charleskelly » 11 Aug 2016, 10:28

dunghnguyen wrote:I have not tried this but it sounds fine. Do you check if the Pi appeared in the network connection of the PC? If yes, from that you can find the IP to try in the web browser ? I have no idea but why don't u try it ?

To be fair, This does sound simple. The reason I haven't tried this, is because I looked at SSHing into a RPI directly through ethernet (I assumed it would be the same idea), and every tutorial seemed really complicated and needed edits to files on the PI (which could mess up rune audio). I don't want to be in a position where I have to edit a file on the PI to get my pi to work over direct ethernet, and then have to change the file back to how it originally was if i wanted to connect it back to the network.
charleskelly

Postby charleskelly » 11 Aug 2016, 12:24

dunghnguyen wrote:I have not tried this but it sounds fine. Do you check if the Pi appeared in the network connection of the PC? If yes, from that you can find the IP to try in the web browser ? I have no idea but why don't u try it ?

Tried your suggestion (read update in main post). Any idea where to go next?
charleskelly

Postby silvrr » 11 Aug 2016, 14:40

If I am reading your request right you want to share your internet connection with the PI over a wired connection?

Take a Cat5/6 cable and connect the Pi and your desktop.

On your desktop go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

Select any two of the devices available (hold control while selecting the second to select two) and right click and select "Bridge Connection"

I have used this many times when setting my pi up initially in the past to use a convenient wired connection. I have bridged my wireless and the pi but not sure if it will work to just bridge two devices together. Worth a shot as it only takes a minute.
silvrr

Postby hondagx35 » 11 Aug 2016, 15:51

Hi charleskelly,

what you need is a dhcp-server on your Windows PC.
I would try this.

I tried this on a Windows7 PC and it works great.
- Start and configure the dhcp-server
- connect your Pi and boot it
- go to your browser and enter the PIs IP

Without a dhcp server this will not work.

If I am reading your request right you want to share your internet connection with the PI over a wired connection?
No he only wants to get a connection to his PI.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby charleskelly » 11 Aug 2016, 20:43

hondagx35 wrote:Hi charleskelly,

what you need is a dhcp-server on your Windows PC.
I would try this.

I tried this on a Windows7 PC and it works great.
- Start and configure the dhcp-server
- connect your Pi and boot it
- go to your browser and enter the PIs IP

Without a dhcp server this will not work.

No he only wants to get a connection to his PI.

Frank

Hi frank,

I tried what you said into a couple of issues. First I'll tell you how I set up the DCHP server using version 2.5.2.

-After making sure the PI's ethernet cable was unplugged, I ran the wizard, and clicked on my Ethernet port, the wizard showed it's ip as 0.0.0.0 (as expected).

-At the next window I checked the HTTP Web server so I can see when DCHP has assigned my pi an IP address and that's all I checked.

-I went with defaults for the next screen by just pressing next, then after that I over writed the .ini file and made sure I clicked on "write ini file".

-Lastly I clicked on run DCHP server Immediatly and minimised it into a system tray app.

I belelive this is the correct way to set this up, however I have a few issues.

The PI never gets an ip assinged by the DHCP server, the web UI does not work, when i try to connect to "localhost" in my browser, simply a blank white page is displayed. I verified that the file path to the wwwroot was correct. Also, If i try and open the index.html file in google chrome I get "file not found, may have been moved or deleted" error.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I think it's because I'm running windows 10 home edition 64 bit. The FAQ of DHCP for windows only lists Windows 10 professional 64-bit as compatible. Have you got any alternative peices DHCP server software that will run on windows 10? Thanks

Thanks
Last edited by charleskelly on 11 Aug 2016, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
charleskelly

Postby hondagx35 » 11 Aug 2016, 20:52

Hi charleskelly,

Any suggestions?

yes i have

the wizard showed it's ip as 0.0.0.0 (as expected).

No it is not expected. You have to set a static IP for your PCs ethernet port.
This IP must not be in the same subnet as your wifi.

Frank
hondagx35

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi