0.4 beta -release date?

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: 0.4 beta -release date?

Postby neanderthaler » 11 Sep 2015, 23:49

Well... stop moaning, please.
There are some distributions on the market, from rudimentary like archphile to overfeatured like moode. Some of them will suit your needs.
After experimenting with most of them, I returned to the two big successors of raspify. I use both of them everyday in different locations. Imo, reliability is of much more importance than a bunch of hip features. But of course I will give volumio2 a try, as well as rune0.4 and rune-nextgen or whatever it will be called.

Keep on the good work, and don't you rush about, guys!
neanderthaler

Postby dwijtsma » 12 Sep 2015, 19:32

To be honest the same counts for me. I'm checking Runeaudio weekly and it seems Runeaudio is close to dead for a long time. I'm using picoreplayer by now, because Runeaudio crashes ones every few weeks. Runeaudio is the best option when using MPD, but MPD is still buggy.

I hope Runeaudio .4 will use newer versions of MPD. I like Runeaudio UI. It's really good :D
Audio gear: RuneAudio on Raspberry Pi 2 + Dr. DAC nano, Marantz pm66se, Avalon Avatar
dwijtsma

Postby hondagx35 » 12 Sep 2015, 21:06

Hi dwijtsma,

Runeaudio is close to dead for a long time.

No it's still alive, but we all have a daily job and families.
So please stay tuned, 0.4 is coming in the near future, for sure.

I hope Runeaudio .4 will use newer versions of MPD

The images for the PI2 and ODROID C1 both use mpd 0.19.9 (the latest is 19.9.10)

Runeaudio crashes ones every few weeks.

The problem here is, that we never had something like this on our test devices.
What we need at this point are more information:
- device (PI, PI2, ODROID)?
- logs
- browser / platform (FF on Windows7, Chrome on Android)?
- memory usage
- sd card size and free space
- and so on

Frank
hondagx35

Postby gearhead » 24 Sep 2015, 16:55

I, too, am looking to see if a 0.4 or alpha will show up at any time. I get that this is a big undertaking and we all have families and lives outside of here. As for helping with the project, I do not know what is being worked on or what needs to be worked on. If I knew what was needed, I may be able to help. I have seen a git fork from a guy that added podcast capability (that I was interested in), but it appeared that his addition was dismissed. I'm not having any problems with 0.3 updated from the dev branch, but am waiting for 0.4 before I delve into the couple of things I want to do to my Pi2 (nfs root and enable motion service for my install) as I think it should be based on a more current Arch base.

Keith
gearhead

Postby KHatfull » 24 Sep 2015, 22:50

I use RA 0.3/dev updates daily. Nary an issue. It does what I need it to perfectly, serve files from my NAS and through the IQAudio DAC attached to it without problems or error. I think I've had to reboot it twice unplanned since I built the Pi in early November last year.

If you asked me what *I'd* want to see: less functionality. My preference would be to see development time and effort spent in creating the best world class music player. For me, you can dump the Spotify and likely even web radio stuff. I know I'm in the minority but I think at its core RA shoud be the best music player playing files from local and network sources.

I tried Volumio and ended up here pretty fast. A few of the others were just too horrible from a UI standpoint to warrant consideration. I continue to believe that whatever the next version of RA is it will be the best. I believe in it to the point that I setup a recurring monthly donation to the team to help out. I don't code so that's the best I can do.

Patience is truly a virtue. IMO RA is still the best MUSIC player for the RPi hands down and I think those of us who continue to use it will be rewarded in the next version.

Keith, the other.
Synology DS214+ -> RP3 -> Hifiberry Digi+ -> Audio-Gd NOS1704 (coax) -> Audio-GD C-2 preamp/headphone amp ->

1) Yamaha M-4 Power Amp -> Energy Pro 22 Speakers OR 2) HiFiMan HE-400i

Audio Nirvana!!!
KHatfull

Postby Surson » 25 Sep 2015, 10:26

I know I'm in the minority but I think at its core RA shoud be the best music player playing files from local and network sources.

I'm in the minority too. I think also that the strength of RA is to be simple, working nearly perfectly (just minor issues), responsive, no frills and sound quality focused. I hope this philosophy will stay with the future version.
Surson

Postby Aquarius » 25 Sep 2015, 12:34

Surson wrote:I'm in the minority too. I think also that the strength of RA is to be simple, working nearly perfectly (just minor issues), responsive, no frills and sound quality focused. I hope this philosophy will stay with the future version.
+1 to that. KISS philosophy, sound quality is key.
-- Aquarius
Hifi Gear: RuneAudio/Volumio on Raspberry Pi B + Hifibery Digi, Atoll ST200 (network streamer, DAC, pre-amp), Emotiva XPA-2, Bowers & Wilkins 683
Aquarius

Postby TJH » 10 Oct 2015, 20:17

I'm pleased that progress continues to be made in the limited time you guys have.

To anyone who moans - try writing you own version, then you'll realise how much effort it takes and how much has already been done.

Jobs and families will get in the way, but we all need them. They are the reasons why we mere mortals can't do it ourselves (as well as the lack of skill, knowledge and experience!).

Runeaudio - keep up the good work - we will wait and be grateful when 0.4 arrives.
TJH

Postby dagsix » 13 Oct 2015, 19:52

TJH wrote:Runeaudio - keep up the good work - we will wait and be grateful when 0.4 arrives.

Indeed. Runeaudio could certainly be a 'Full-time' job for 'many' people.

It seems to be a project done for the love of music and playing music digitally.

I for one thank you as well. (And eagerly await any future releases)

:D
dagsix

0.4 beta -release date?

Postby guyb » 14 Oct 2015, 22:21

KHatfull wrote:My preference would be to see development time and effort spent in creating the best world class music player. For me, you can dump the Spotify and likely even web radio stuff. I know I'm in the minority but I think at its core RA shoud be the best music player playing files from local and network sources.

And me...

I solely use Rune as a DLNA renderer and it is far better than all the 'other ones' out there.

As said above - top quality sound and HD audio playback through a network is what turns me on and RuneAudio seems the most stable in this respect.

Extra features means extra complexity means less stable. Hence the reason for choosing RuneAudio over others that seem to add features at the detriment to the original idea. Pure simple audiophile bit-perfect playback!

Guy
guyb

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi