Raspberry Pi 3 + MPD 0.19.13-dsd

Raspberry Pi related support

Raspberry Pi 3 + MPD 0.19.13-dsd

Postby klassikmann » 27 Apr 2016, 22:39

Hello,

I'm a new user of a Pi3 and runeaudio (RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB).
My goal is to have a hires audio player for PCM and DSD music connected to my USB DAC, a TEAC UD-501.
I hit that target: Marvelous solution.

I only found one (not very important) issue: Native DSD in MPD. "Native" means not to use DOP (DSD Over PCM), but DSD directly.
In his announcement of the PI3-version hondagx35 wrote:
- MPD is version 0.19.13-dsd (see https://github.com/lintweaker/mpd-dsd-019)
The goal of MPD-dsd is to enable "native DSD". Beside applying the patches fro MPD found in the link above, the mpd.conf has to configured accordingly.

After a look into the patches I see the following necessary configuration in the audio-output section of mpd.conf:
  • dsd_usb must not be present. dsd_usb is the legacy name for dop
  • dsd_native must be set to "yes". dsd_native and dsd_usb (or dop) are mutally exclusive
  • dsd_native_type must be present with a value of "2"
Only these settings in mpd.conf activate the patches in 0.19.13-dsd. See also the thread "DSD256 and SACD ISO support" (post13071.html#p13067).

Now I tried to test these modifications.
Result: "Noise" for DSD-files.
Question: Is there any quirk necessary with the TEAC DAC?
RPI 3B + HifiBerry Digi+ Pro + rAudio-1
klassikmann

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 + MPD 0.19.13-dsd

Postby thanhvo31 » 28 Apr 2016, 14:33

Hi,
I got the same setup with you and try to find the way to activate so call Native DSD

But the issue is not come from player, it comes from the DAC.

Looking the text here
TEAC's new UD-501 is the star of the 501 series. The UD-501 supports Direct Stream Digital (DSD) playback at either 2.8 MHz or 5.6MHz (DXD) rates. PCM audio is supported up to 384kHz/32-bit resolution. It connects to your computer over USB using ASIO 2.1 or DoP.
You need ASIO 2.1 Driver where as Interface support is normally restricted to Microsoft Windows.

Further, I could not recognize Native DSD vs DoP playback with blind test.

So be happy with the Pi and Rune.
SBC alot of Pis and DAC HAT
DAC: HRT ustreamer, Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2, TEAC UD-501
CD: Marrantz CD6005
Amp: NAD D3020, Cambridge CXA80
Spk: Q Acoustic Concept 20, KEF R300

thanhvo31

Postby klassikmann » 28 Apr 2016, 15:09

Hello thanhvo31,

> So be happy with the Pi and Rune
I am happy with my DAC + Pi + Rune :D
As I wrote, it is a unimportant issue.

> Further, I could not recognize Native DSD vs DoP playback with blind test.
No surprise, because "DSD native" and "DOP" are bitwise identical for the DAC. DOP is packaging of DSD in PCM-frames, only.
It could be more important if DSD256 will become familiar in the future, because (AFAIK) DOP can be used for DSD64 and DSD128, only.

> You need ASIO 2.1 Driver where as Interface support is normally restricted to Microsoft Windows.
I do not believe so, but I can be wrong.
My hypothesis:
"Native DSD" is not bound to Windows with ASIO 2.1/2.2 driver. There are solutions for Linux. You need
1. ALSA lib >= 1.0.28 (o.k. in Rune)

2. MPD with "native DSD"-patch (o.k. in Rune)

3. DAC-specific "quirk" code (availabe/unavailable for TEAC UD-501?)
If you have look at https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd you see that adaptations are availabe for some DACs. Such an adaptation is product-specific coding in sound/usb/quirks.c (alsa-lib).

But that's my hypothesis, only.
klassikmann

Postby hondagx35 » 28 Apr 2016, 17:33

Hi klassikmann,

If you have look at https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd you see that adaptations are availabe for some DACs. Such an adaptation is product-specific coding in sound/usb/quirks.c (alsa-lib).

This was the reason why i didn't implement the option "native DSD" to the config.
We need more users with the needed skills and hardware to test this.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby thanhvo31 » 29 Apr 2016, 12:50

klassikmann wrote:Hello thanhvo31,

> So be happy with the Pi and Rune
I am happy with my DAC + Pi + Rune :D
As I wrote, it is a unimportant issue.

> Further, I could not recognize Native DSD vs DoP playback with blind test.
No surprise, because "DSD native" and "DOP" are bitwise identical for the DAC. DOP is packaging of DSD in PCM-frames, only.
It could be more important if DSD256 will become familiar in the future, because (AFAIK) DOP can be used for DSD64 and DSD128, only.

> You need ASIO 2.1 Driver where as Interface support is normally restricted to Microsoft Windows.
I do not believe so, but I can be wrong.
My hypothesis:
"Native DSD" is not bound to Windows with ASIO 2.1/2.2 driver. There are solutions for Linux. You need
1. ALSA lib >= 1.0.28 (o.k. in Rune)

2. MPD with "native DSD"-patch (o.k. in Rune)

But that's my hypothesis, only.

Hi klassikmann,
My ignorance. Just check and found author add ud-501. Please contact author for clarify.

thanhvo31

Postby klassikmann » 29 Apr 2016, 13:15

I contacted the author of mpd-usb (MPD patches) and xmos-native-dsd (kernel quirks).
On https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-nati ... hes/kernel he provided an "Experimental support for TEAC UD-501". I try to build a new kernel on my Ubuntu 16.04 AMD64. If I succeed and if testing of the quirk is promising than we should discuss with Frank (hondagx35) about a potential inclusion into runeaudio.

Herbert
klassikmann

Postby thanhvo31 » 30 Apr 2016, 03:32

klassikmann wrote:I contacted the author of mpd-usb (MPD patches) and xmos-native-dsd (kernel quirks).
On https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-nati ... hes/kernel he provided an "Experimental support for TEAC UD-501". I try to build a new kernel on my Ubuntu 16.04 AMD64. If I succeed and if testing of the quirk is promising than we should discuss with Frank (hondagx35) about a potential inclusion into runeaudio.

Herbert

Please also share your x86 Ubuntu/or kernel. I also happy to test it on Intel NUC too. Thanks.

thanhvo31

Postby klassikmann » 30 Apr 2016, 10:50

thanhvo31 wrote:
klassikmann wrote:I contacted the author of mpd-usb (MPD patches) and xmos-native-dsd (kernel quirks).

Herbert

Please also share your x86 Ubuntu/or kernel. I also happy to test it on Intel NUC too. Thanks.

Sure, I'll do.
The first try was disappointing. At the moment there are several rumors in place. I'm trying to sort out was happening. I'll come back to this thread if I know more.

Herbert
klassikmann

Postby klassikmann » 07 Jun 2016, 12:00

Some weeks later, let me summarize my results.

First a remark:
In the meantime, configuration of "DSD native" is available in the git (dev branch). But successfully configuring "DSD native" depends on the generic mpd-dsd support (https://github.com/lintweaker/mpd-dsd-019 plus the integration of the DAC-specific quirk-code in the kernel https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd supporting the specific DAC (in my case: TEAC UD-501). I performed my tests on Ubuntu 16.04 (64-bit).

Result:
I didn't succeed in making the TEAC UD-501 "USB native" for mpd.
Moved TEAC-501 patch to archive. Patch was close but not sufficient.
Investigation not complete due to lack of (access to) a TEAC-501.

I learned It's not a must to have a layer like ASIO (Windows) to use "DSD native" with mpd (Linux), but it would make live much easier

Herbert
klassikmann

Postby ericszeto » 09 Jun 2016, 09:25

Hi All,

May I know how can I install the "0001-Add-native-DSD-support-to-MPD-0.19.14.patch"?

Many many thank you.

Regards,

Eric
ericszeto

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi