Post on Head-Fi

General discussion about RuneAudio. Do not post any support or feature requests here.

Post on Head-Fi

Postby silvrr » 24 Jan 2016, 00:05

I've seen a bit of discussion about setups with RuneAudio, Volumio, etc. on a forum I visit, Head-Fi. However, I think the perceived complexity turns a lot of people off. I put together a post with a short review and step by step setup instructions to try and show how easy it is to setup. I would appreciate any feedback anyone has, especially on the instructions..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/795895/a-70-bi ... t_12279030
silvrr

Re: Post on Head-Fi

Postby ACX » 24 Jan 2016, 19:32

Hi silvrr, well done! This is a great way to help the project. I personally wrote a tutorial on Instructables long ago, but your post is more detailed and probably more inviting, expecially for the Head-Fi folks. Thank you for that!
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby PeteB » 06 Feb 2016, 07:24

Great job on the instructions.

I think you are correct, a lot of people are turned off by the Raspberry as an audio player. Your thread should help.

I have have been using the HifiBerry DIGI+ board with SPDIF (or optical cable) output to a DAC/headphone amp as well as the HiFiBerry DAC+ with conventional RCA connectors/cables to an audio amp. Both h/w combinations work very well with Rune.

Comments on the Head-Fi thread:

You do not actually need a 2A power supply, at least not for a dedicated music player.

Most people take the 2A requirement for granted, but the Pi is quite happy with an old 5V-1A supply, as long as there is a good cable with a low voltage drop. I measure around 400mA continuous, 600mA peak on startup, with the Edimax WiFi dongle, and a Sandisk flash drive in a second USB port.

If you are on Linux, you do not need to use ethernet for setup. I found I could do everything while the SDHC card was still in the Linux machine after flashing the card with the Rune Audio image.

After flashing the card, I created a new wlan0 file in /etc/netctl. This is simpler than it sounds. I copied one and inserted my SSID and password, then I saved it as /etc/netctl/wlan0. I also made a couple other manual configuration changes for the HiFiBerry cards, plugged the SDHC card into a Pi2 with the DIGI+ installed, and flipped the switch... done.
Last edited by PeteB on 27 Mar 2016, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
PeteB

Postby silvrr » 09 Feb 2016, 22:24

Thanks for taking a look! I appreciate the comments.

PeteB wrote:Great job on the instructions.

Comments on the Head-Fi thread:

You do not actually need a 2A power supply, at least not for a dedicated music player.

Most people take the 2A requirement for granted, but the Pi is quite happy with an old 5V-1A supply, as long as there is a good cable with a low voltage drop. I measure around 400mA continuous, 600mA peak on startup, with the Edimax WiFi dongle, and a Sandisk flash drive in a second USB port.

I had issues with a 1A Power Supply (PS) so I went with a 2 amp PS and haven't had any issues. I am also running my DAC off the PI and have USB over voltage turned on which allows more current to the USB ports. This may be why the 1A PS was having issues.

If you are on Linux, you do not need to use ethernet for setup. I found I could do everything while the SDHC card was still in the Linux machine after flashing the card with the Rune Audio image.

After flashing the card, I created a new wlan0 file in /etc/netctl. This is simpler than it sounds. I copied one and inserted my SSID and password, then I saved it as /etc/netctl/wlan0. I also made a couple other manual configuration changes for the HiFiBerry cards, plugged the SDHC card into a Pi2 with the DIGI+ installed, and flipped the switch... done.

I am assuming, maybe incorrectly, that most people that are reading the guide are on Windows or a Mac machine. If they are familiar enough with Linux to use it as their OS, then I assume they could get through the installation.
silvrr

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to General discussion