Mausberry Switch Script

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Mausberry Switch Script

Postby thedman! » 16 Apr 2016, 22:19

Hi Frank,

On executing this: echo "0" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio24/value

Nothing happens!?!?

I swapped the jumper cables for 2 new ones, they're a better fit, then i checked the rest of my connections and snapped a solder joint between the momentary switch and the mausberry! When this happened the unit turned off. When i briefly touched the cable to the mausberry it booted up, then when the unit is powered up, press the cable to the appropriate connection on the mausberry and hold for 1 sec -ish, it shuts down. So in effect it works correctly. I'm gonna re-solder a new switch. Given this behaviour should it be a latching or momentary switch?

Thanks for your help,

Dave.
thedman!

Postby thedman! » 16 Apr 2016, 22:38

The switch is "push to break" but the symptoms seem to indicate the mausberry wants a "push to make" momentary switch.
thedman!

Postby hondagx35 » 16 Apr 2016, 22:41

Hi thedman!,

From mauseberry-circuits :
This switch plugs directly into your Raspberry Pi / Pi 2 power port and allows you to attach your own custom switch. The circuit accepts your normal micro-USB power cable. You can use any switch you’d like, many users are using this circuit when installing their Pi into an NES/SNES case. The circuit auto-detects whether you are using a momentary push button or a discreet on-off switch. The version pictured is the direct-plug micro-USB. You can also select versions with a USB female plug or a 2-pin spring terminal header if you want to power the Pi through GPIO. The direct-plug version accommodates most cases. The circuits all come with a 3V LED pad on them as well so you can connect an external LED that will turn on and off with the circuit (ground to RST- on circuit or any ground GPIO pin on Pi)

So you can use both, but i would recommend a momentary type.

The switch is "push to break" but the symptoms seem to indicate the mausberry wants a "push to make" momentary switch.

Yes it has to be "push to make".

Frank
hondagx35

Postby thedman! » 16 Apr 2016, 22:48

Oh dear :roll: I've been banging my head against a brick wall all this time, and I've got the wrong switch! eBay here I come. See you in a couple of days with an update!
Thanks and sorry people!
thedman!

Postby hondagx35 » 16 Apr 2016, 22:53

Thanks and sorry people!

No problem shit happens.

In the meantime use two wires and connect them for a second to power up your Pi.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby PeteB » 16 Apr 2016, 23:14

Watch for broken solder joints (broken connections) on the Mausberry board, too. The small micro-usb, especially, is easy to damage, and hard to repair.

If you are in the US, Radioshack has small momentary push-to make switches in sets of two, 1/4", one black cap one red cap, for about $3.50. Mouser and Digikey have a large selection of switches online, PCB or panel mount, at reasonable single-piece prices.

Depending on how fancy a switch you want, the ligthed (or not) type panel-mount switches sold under the "Angel Eye" name are popular with DIY Audio. 12-mm mounting hole diameter, about $5 on ebay, US stock... example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12mm-Push-Button-High-Flat-Blue-Led-Angel-eye-for-Box-Mod-Diy-Motley-Mods-USA-/172123036772?hash=item2813551c64:g:m6oAAOSwwE5WV-kp
PeteB

Postby thedman! » 17 Apr 2016, 10:26

Instead of bodge-jobbing a new cable to the mausberry, decided to solder some GPIO pins into the holes, its now much neater and there's not cables flexing the joints. Its only the second time I've soldered and I must say, I've done a lovely job! :P

I've ordered a switch, thanks for the pointers Pete, I'm in the uk, I've ordered a simple switch that is eventually going to be hidden into the Walnut frame for the unit. I plan to use an empty bullet casing for the visible part of the switch, I'm into making my own furniture and I try to hide a casing in each thing I make. :ugeek:

I'll let you know how i get on when the new switch arrives, I think there shouldn't be a problem... famous last words!
thedman!

Postby PeteB » 17 Apr 2016, 17:06

thedman! wrote:...I'll let you know how i get on when the new switch arrives, I think there shouldn't be a problem... famous last words!

Just make sure it is decapped b/f you drill it out for the sw... :o ... and please take some pics for those of us with lesser carpentry skills.
PeteB

Postby thedman! » 20 Apr 2016, 20:27

Woohoo! Correct switch arrived and now all is working as it should. Phew. Thanks for your help folks, now to make it all look nice. I'll post a pic when done.
thedman!

Postby thedman! » 21 May 2016, 16:04

Finally I got the last bit today. A right angled micro usb cable to make it fit properly.

The switch works perfectly now btw...

Thanks for all the help folks. I really appreciate it.

Rune audio is amazing!

Now hopefully they'll start releasing more music at better bit rates!
thedman!

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi