HifiBerry DAC+ Pro [solved for Raspberry B+]

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: HifiBerry DAC+ Pro

Postby bknarf » 07 Nov 2015, 21:53

Ah wait. I've tried it again. Had to install RuneAudio again. Did the kernel update. And now it appears to boot correctly.

uname -a

Code: Select all
Linux runeaudio 4.1.12-2-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Nov 7 09:20:07 MST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

aplay -l

card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus], device 0: [b]HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro[/b] HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 []

As the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro is now specifically listed at card 1, does this mean the new driver has actually been loaded, and the clock from the Pro card is being used?

By the way, I haven't edited or renamed the config.txt or config.txt.pacnew (yet). I guess it is advisable to make the new version active?
bknarf

Postby bknarf » 07 Nov 2015, 22:06

Bummer, now it appears that wireless is not working anymore :? Can this be caused by the kernel update? In the RuneUI the WLAN connection is still visible, but status is not connected (No IP assigned). I've deleted the Wifi profile and tried to connect again, but without success. I find it strange that at WiFi stored profiles, under Show, there is no profile visible. When trying to Add a new profile, it still doesn't show up. Somehow it appears that the WiFi settings are not correctly stored anymore? (It did work before)
bknarf

Postby °pdi° » 08 Nov 2015, 10:45

Raspberry B+
before RuneAudio: 0.3-beta (3.12.26-1-ARCH)
now RuneAudio: 0.3-beta (4.1.12-1-ARCH)

Hi Frank,

thank you! The pi boot with the new kernel.

I follow your advice and connect a monitor (tv) to the pi. The fault was an incorrect root-partiton entry in cmdline.txt. I had to change root-partition to "root=/dev/mmcblk0p5" (I take the right parameter from /boot/cmdline_linux-arch-rpi_3.12.26-1-ARCH.txt)

In the config.txt i had to add some entrys.

The config.txt is now:
device_tree_param=i2c_arm=on
device_tree_param=i2s=on
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus
dtoverlay=lirc-rpi,gpio_in_pin=23
cmdline=cmdline.txt
kernel=kernel.img
gpu_mem=64

(Lirc is not working yet, but this is no problem at the moment.)

"aplay -l" print

card 1: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus], device 0: HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 []

Fine. With "Pro" in the name, the new driver is running.

One issue at the moment: The volume knob won't work. The master-control appears in "alsamixer" as "Digital".

I changed the entry in output-section mpd.conf from "Playback Digital" to "Digital". Every reboot overwrites the entry to "Playback Digital".

edit: Volume knob works now. Solution was:

redis-cli hset acards_details snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus "{\"sysname\":\"snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus\",\"extlabel\":\"HiFiBerry DAC+ (I²S)\",\"mixer_numid\":\"1\",\"mixer_control\":\"Digital\",\"hwplatformid\":\"01\",\"type\":\"i2s\"}"

Klaus
Last edited by °pdi° on 08 Nov 2015, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
°pdi°

Postby hondagx35 » 08 Nov 2015, 11:11

Hi Klaus,

the file "mpd.conf" is controlled by rune audio.

Please search the forum (Hifiberry DAC+ hardware volume) and adapt the solution to your needs.

[root@runeaudio ~]# redis-cli hset acards_details snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus "{\"sysname\":\"snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus\",\"extlabel\":\"HiFiBerry DAC+ (I²S)\",\"mixer_numid\":\"1\",\"mixer_control\":\"Digital\",\"hwplatformid\":\"01\",\"type\":\"i2s\"}"
php /var/www/command/refresh_ao

Frank
hondagx35

Postby °pdi° » 08 Nov 2015, 11:18

Hi Frank,

you were faster, while i edit my post.

Klaus
°pdi°

Postby °pdi° » 08 Nov 2015, 11:57

In a brief (without warranty, may brake your installation)

Raspberry Pi B+ and HiFiberry DAC+ Pro with RuneAudio 0.3-beta

edit: Before upgrading, update RuneAudio (http://www.runeaudio.com/documentation/troubleshooting/updating/

Step 1: Upgrade the kernel

pacman -Sy --force raspberrypi-firmware-bootloader linux-raspberrypi

Step 2: Edit config.txt

device_tree_param=i2c_arm=on
    device_tree_param=i2s=on
    dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus
    cmdline=cmdline.txt
    kernel=kernel.img
    gpu_mem=64

Step 3: Edit cmdline.txt. Set the right root-patition, e.g. given in your cmdline_linux-arch-rpi_3.12.26-1-ARCH.txt. E.g.:

"root=/dev/mmcblk0p5"

Step 4: Make the right choises in Menu --> Settings = HiFiBerryDac+ and --> MPD-Configutations = HiFiBerryDac+

Step 5: Reboot.

Step 6: ssh to raspberry.
aplay -l
should print the HiFiBerry DAC+ with "Pro" in name.

Step 7: Change mixer-control to "Digital"

redis-cli hset acards_details snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus "{\"sysname\":\"snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus\",\"extlabel\":\"HiFiBerry DAC+ (I²S)\",\"mixer_numid\":\"1\",\"mixer_control\":\"Digital\",\"hwplatformid\":\"01\",\"type\":\"i2s\"}"
php /var/www/command/refresh_ao

Step 8: Reboot (maybe not necessary)

Thats all.

Frank, thank you very much for your help.

Klaus
Last edited by °pdi° on 09 Nov 2015, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
°pdi°

Re: HifiBerry DAC+ Pro [solved]

Postby bknarf » 08 Nov 2015, 19:48

Is it really needed to add the kernel and cmdline entries in the config.txt? I mean, the name of the files didn't changed after the kernel update, right? In my case, on a RPi2, it seems i can boot without a problem after doing the update and without editing the file.

BUT ... after the kernel update, it appears I cannot connect to my WiFI again. To be sure, I've tried it again. Started with a fresh install of RuneAudio. Set up my WiFi, which works then. But after the kernel update and reboot the wlan0 connection does not want to connect anymore. Tried to delete the profile and add a new one (via WebGUI), but doesn't help.

Is there a way to have the correct driver for the HifiBerry DAC+ Pro loaded AND have working WiFi? ;)

FrankB
bknarf

Postby hondagx35 » 08 Nov 2015, 20:28

Hi bknarf,

Is it really needed to add the kernel and cmdline entries in the config.txt?

Not for the Pi2, it's only needed when you are on an older Pi.

Is there a way to have the correct driver for the HifiBerry DAC+ Pro loaded AND have working WiFi?

You can try to install crda and set the country code to yours.

pacman -S crda

This is not tested!

Frank
hondagx35

Postby bknarf » 08 Nov 2015, 21:21

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the suggestion. I installed crda and uncommented my country region in /etc/conf.d/wireless-regdom. After a reboot, nothing seems to be changed. Deleted the existing wireless profile again via the WebGUI and set up a new one, but still the same issue ...

FrankB
bknarf

Postby JeffD » 08 Nov 2015, 21:52

bknarf wrote:Hi Frank,

Thanks for the suggestion. I installed crda and uncommented my country region in /etc/conf.d/wireless-regdom. After a reboot, nothing seems to be changed. Deleted the existing wireless profile again via the WebGUI and set up a new one, but still the same issue ...

FrankB

I have the same problem on my cubietruck. I cant connect to WiFi. Storing the profile is not possible. Maybe writing to the nand Memory is the problem?
JeffD

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi