HiFi Berry DAC support

Raspberry Pi related support

HiFi Berry DAC support

Postby Elliott B » 15 Jan 2014, 10:48

There is a 24/192 DAC called the HiFi Berry under active development. It's inexpensive, tiny, and communicates with the Raspberry Pi through the I2S interface. This means there shouldn't be a bottleneck sharing USB bandwidth. Currently it uses analog audio outputs, and they will be releasing a S/PDIF version soon.
Any thoughts on this device from other users?
To the devs, will RuneAudio support it?
Elliott B

Re: HiFi Berry DAC support

Postby ACX » 15 Jan 2014, 14:49

Hello Elliott B, we know that DAC and we'll be glad to support it. We believe that a I2S DAC on the Raspberry Pi is the way to avoid the board's well known limitations of its shared USB/Eth bus and get a clean digital output. We have another thread on this forum talking about it and npejcic is developing a similiar DAC. We'd love to try both of them.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby jvrossum » 02 Sep 2014, 10:44

Got the HifiBerry DAC mini jack version to fit into a standard Raspberry pi housing. Got it connected after a bit of fiddly soldering and working only after a full upgrade and also doing some configuring in a couple of files on the pi. Thanks for the help with configuration of the Pi: http://devicecontext.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... berry.html. And thanks to : http://trevorappleton.blogspot.nl/2014/ ... -your.html for the help with configuring files (kind of) remotely using ftp. Using a familiar application like Notepad to edit files is so much easier.
Sounds great, great buy.
jvrossum

Postby ACX » 02 Sep 2014, 13:19

jvrossum wrote:Got it connected after a bit of fiddly soldering and working only after a full upgrade and also doing some configuring in a couple of files on the pi.

Hi jvrossum, if you are using RuneAudio 0.3-alpha for Raspberry Pi there is no need of configuring anything - you only have to load the correct I2S module from the Settings screen.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby Surson » 03 Sep 2014, 14:23

Hi,

What about the DAC+ version? I just received the new board and try to upgrade Archlinux kernel but with no success (the Rpi is not booting at all)

Is there a workaround to make it work with Rune Audio in the mean time that it will be included into the future version of RuneAudio ?

Thanks.

BR.
Surson

Postby skrodahl » 03 Sep 2014, 22:54

Surson wrote:Hi,

What about the DAC+ version? I just received the new board and try to upgrade Archlinux kernel but with no success (the Rpi is not booting at all)

Is there a workaround to make it work with Rune Audio in the mean time that it will be included into the future version of RuneAudio ?

Thanks.

BR.

Hi Surson,
The current HifiBerry kernel modules don't work with the RPi B+ modules, as the pin-out is different:
http://www.hifiberry.com/2014/07/sound- ... i-model-b/

I think it's safe to guess that this will be included in future updates of RuneAudio, when the kernel modules have been updated.
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby bower » 19 Sep 2014, 17:09

I'm not sure, if I unerstand everything well.

The HifiBerry Digi works with model B out of the box, when running RuneAudio.
Model B+ uses a different pinout, therefore Digi+ has been developed to handle this change.

At the hifiberry site it is written, that the Digi+ can be used with Rune upgrading the kernel.

Does it mean that after running an rpi-update Digi+ (and maybe DAC+) will work well? If I understand well, this question in theoretical right now, because shipping has not been started.
bower

Postby BackinBlack » 19 Sep 2014, 17:28

I have a Digi+ and can confirm that although the Pi B+ works reasonably well with Rune to give USB output, it does not yet work with Digi+. I understand that as the B+ pinout is different an update willl be necessary to reconfigure the correct pinout. If you try the Digi+ as is the Pi B+ just freezes. As I'm new to the Raspberry and Linux I'm still learning, but not enough yet to understand how to modify the code to reconfigure the pinouts. Looking forward to the update to allow it all to work together, even using the USB output to my DAC sounds very good when fed from my NAS and some internet Radio stations with higher resolution. Radio Paradise, in particular, is good.
BackinBlack

Postby ACX » 19 Sep 2014, 23:15

Please resist some days more and wait for the 0.3-beta, HiFiBerry DAC+ will work out of the box :)
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby BackinBlack » 20 Sep 2014, 07:24

Thanks for the update. I shall be patient. Things are sounding very good via USB to my Graham Slee Majestic DAC. Network mounts work well, Airplay works well. Thanks for all your work.
BackinBlack

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi