Wireless

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Wireless

Postby cmh714 » 19 Aug 2014, 02:07

Ah, so when both are plugged in the wifi works but when the wire gets pulled the wifi stops working too.

So you can try this...
command: netctl list
see if the wlan0 is selected. if not, "netctl enable wlan" I believe is what creates the link for the service and then try a reboot.

If that doesnt work, what has always worked for me in this problem (and it happened with Volumio), I needed an ethernet loopback plug. They are easy to make just google for one.
cmh714

Postby anadigi » 20 Aug 2014, 02:01

May be just me! I have tryied volumio 1.41. It doesn't work with the Raspberry Pi version B neither.
If I use the Raspyfi Version 1.0; it works perfect.
anadigi

Postby cmh714 » 20 Aug 2014, 03:34

Well you can stay on a project thats no longer supported if youre happy or you could figure it out, thats youre call.

I had troubles with Volumio and wifi as well. And never tried raspfy although I have it.
cmh714

Postby lowpolyjoe » 23 Aug 2014, 03:50

A little fiddling with the commands listed in this thread and i got my wifi dongle working and streaming media - very cool.

I'm a bit disappointed with the performance of the wifi dongle. It's REALLY tiny and seems to have pretty poor range capabilities. I have a pretty high power Asus wireless router and most of my devices work well throughout my house and in my yard. The dongle on the RPi was sputtering and eventually lost signal when running in the far end of my house this evening.

I would very much like to use this device wirelessly around my house. Can any of you recommend a wifi dongle for the Pi that is known for having good range? Even if it's larger, that's fine. Mine came as part of a kit from Vilros. It has no name on it, just says "802.11 n". The kit description says:

"Wireless Wifi Adapter Realtek 8188CU Same Chip used by the Edimax EW-7811Un"

I heard a rumor (in another forum) that some people have had luck improving their Wifi range by running a usb hub or cable to physically move the dongle a few inches away from the Pi board itself.... i haven't tried this yet but would be interested to hear if anyone else has.

Thanks
lowpolyjoe

Postby Gecko29 » 29 Aug 2014, 09:04

I am also having the same issue - using alpha 0.3. If I turn on the pi with the wifi dongle plugged in but no Ethernet cable and I try to go to the correct IP address it does not load. However if I plug in the Ethernet cable I can load the preset IP address for the wifi dongle...any help would be much appreciated!
Gecko29

Postby johnbanks » 30 Aug 2014, 19:51

Re: Problems with the Edimax wireless adapter

It could be the power management of the adapter
I followed a suggestion I found on the RPi forum

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 5&p=479174

It worked for me
johnbanks

Postby cmh714 » 30 Aug 2014, 21:19

you can use an ethernet loopback adapter...I had this issue with Volumio but not with Rune...ymmv
cmh714

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to Raspberry Pi