Using An Old Tape Deck To House A Pi

Raspberry Pi related support

Using An Old Tape Deck To House A Pi

Postby CityCentreFox » 15 Jun 2019, 19:36

Good Evening All

I currently use rune audio (moved to Volumio due to the problems which I now managed to rectify with help on this forum...thanks!).

I have a pioneer amp & cd player and was thinking about buying a broken Pioneer tape deck to rip out the insides and house a raspberry pi so it matched the rest of the separates.

I would put a screen in place of the cassette transport and use the screen for album art. Then I would take out the peak meters and place a long monochrome LCD screen for track title, artist etc. If I can get the buttons to work then great but not a priority.

Can you use 2 separate screens/LCD displays with one pi? Don't have to be touch sensitive. Maybe use the hdmi out for the large screen and gpio pins for the 2nd screen.

Has anybody attempted this before and if so how did you get on?

The other alternative is to use the cassette draw with a hdmi screen and use the peak level LED's by attaching a cable the headphone socket on the Pi NOT the DAC and connect it to the socket on the board that the tape head would normally plug into and take out the phono plugs and replace them with a direct connection to the Pi DAC. This would in theoey make the meters work. I know I would need 2 power supplies for this to work.

Am I making sense?

Regards

CCF
Kind Regards

CityCentreFox

Using:

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
Pi - DAC - Pro
Pioneer Amp
Tannoy 609 SE Speakers
Monster Speaker Cable
Cambridge Atlantic Audio Cable
CityCentreFox

Re: Using An Old Tape Deck To House A Pi

Postby janui » 16 Jun 2019, 11:47

Hi CityCentreFox,
See here: post22400.html?hilit=tape#p22375
and here: post26659.html?hilit=Colin#p26657
This is also interesting: post26916.html?hilit=switch#p26916
The two scenario’s which you describe should both work:
    1. Two screens, hdmi plus an I2C based LCD. The first is the standard local browser, with or without screen saver. For the second you will need to do some python programming to supply the display data.
    2. HDMI screen plus VU meters, VU meters being supplied via the Pi 3.5mm audio jack. You will need to tweak the code to switch on two MPD audio outputs at the same time. For non-MPD audio sources alsa parameters would need to be modified to force output to two cards. Not sure how to do this but there are posts about this on the net.
For both solutions use at least a Pi 3. Sort out your power supplies before you start. For this sort of project you will probably need 7A @ 5V if you are planning to integrate a HHD and the possibility of using a couple of extra USB devices (e.g. search for LRS-35-5).
janui
janui

Postby CityCentreFox » 20 Jun 2019, 20:42

Good Evening Janui

Thank you for your reply and apologies for not acknowledging your reply sooner. Been busy for a few days.

I have just bought a broken Awia XC-333 for a quid of ebay and hope to house my Pi system in it. The disc tray and screen are just about the right dimensions to hold a 5 in LCD screen so happy days!

My question is this...

I wish to create a sticker to hide the Awia and cd player model number (Bit like Trichord did with their modified Pioneer CD players). I was hoping to use the Rune Audio logo and use "Rune Audio Music Streamer" with "Powered By Raspberry Pi" underneath.

I have found a company that do bespoke labels but was wondering if there were any copyright issues regarding this. It will be only for personal use.

Who would be the best person to contact about this?

Regards

Jules
Kind Regards

CityCentreFox

Using:

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
Pi - DAC - Pro
Pioneer Amp
Tannoy 609 SE Speakers
Monster Speaker Cable
CityCentreFox

Postby janui » 21 Jun 2019, 09:22

Hi CityCentreFox,
See here: https://www.upcounsel.com/permission-to-use-logo
And here: http://www.runeaudio.com/credits/ (the bit about 'RuneAudio website and logo')
Send ACX a PM asking for permission, he normally answers very quickly.
janui
janui

Postby CityCentreFox » 22 Jun 2019, 14:44

Good Afternoon Janui

I have tried to send a PM to ACX but it stays in my outbox.

How do I send it?

Also how do you attach pics to your posts.

Sorry to bother you with this....
Kind Regards

CityCentreFox

Using:

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
Pi - DAC - Pro
Pioneer Amp
Tannoy 609 SE Speakers
Monster Speaker Cable
CityCentreFox

Postby janui » 23 Jun 2019, 11:19

Hi CityCentreFox,
CityCentreFox wrote:I have tried to send a PM to ACX but it stays in my outbox.
The message moves to Sent Messages after the recipient has opened the message.
Use 'Upload attachment' to upload images (there is a size limit), after uploading you can include them in the message text.
janui
janui

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi