USB is recognized but no music is found?

Raspberry Pi related support

USB is recognized but no music is found?

Postby bktruss » 16 Feb 2014, 02:11

I have v0.2-beta up and running on my Raspbeery pi B, have done the MPD database update and it successfully found my USB. I have each individual music artist in a separate folder on the root of the USB drive. My Raspberry Pi power source is from a wall plug, but the USB external drive is USB powered just so you know. Doubting a power source issue would cause this but just putting it out there. So, the problem is RuneAudio can see the USB but can't see any music, does all the music as in the actually mp3's have to be out of the folders onto the root of the drive for RuneAudio to see them? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

EDIT:
I have added some MP3's to the root of a USB drive and it see them and plays them. So can RuneAudio see MP3's located in folders? I was also thinking the USB I attached originally had 400GB of music, maybe it was just taking a while to rebuild the database, was I impatient?
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.” ― Bob Marley
bktruss

Re: USB is recognized but no music is found?

Postby chromisdesigns » 16 Feb 2014, 03:33

I had this same problem with both Logitech Media Server and Volumio on a Cubox. I believe it's a Linux file system permissions issue. How did you create the file structure on the external drive? For some reason, the "user"running the processes on the Linux device does not have correct permissions to access the file structure. Am waiting for the Cubox release of Volumio to see if this carries over.

Like you, I could see stuff at root, but not anywhere else, either on USB drive or memory stick .
chromisdesigns

Postby bktruss » 19 Feb 2014, 15:05

So I'm guessing this is an issue not worth addressing as this must not be a feature at this time or there is no fix.
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.” ― Bob Marley
bktruss

Postby chromisdesigns » 19 Feb 2014, 17:24

bktruss wrote:So I'm guessing this is an issue not worth addressing as this must not be a feature at this time or there is no fix.

I think there is a fix, but someone with more Linux savvy than I will have to provide it. On all of these Linux-based music server/players, there is a "user" defined that has the appropriate access to all the various components in Linux (which has a rather complicated file and services access and rights system). Generally, that is not "root" or the admin user. I think the problem happens when you create a file structure on your USB device on, for example, a Windows computer, and that sets a certain permissions matrix for the drive, file structure, and individual folders and files. Then you plug that into the Linux machine, and ... oops, sorry, the pertinent Linux internal user who runs the music system doesn't have the proper access, so it can't "see" the files on the USB device.

For me, it's not acceptable to have to go into the Linux box via SSH with a terminal program and tediously change all the file permissions so it works. You CAN do this, but what happens when you update your USB disk again with some added new music...To make it worse, by default Linux treats USB disks and USB memory sticks differently.

Instead, the code in the Linux box should be smart enough to check for new USB devices, make the appropriate file changes on the fly, and just have it "work"!

I know this is possible, as I went another direction with a little $49 wifi router, which is of course Linux based, and it works like a charm. Plug my USB disk in, and voila, all the music folders and files are visible.
chromisdesigns

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi