UP Board

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

UP Board

Postby tboooe » 16 May 2016, 15:49

Just curious if the devs have been monitoring development of the UP Board? Supposedly it can support Android, Linux, and Win10. I am interested in trying out a Win10 version. Any thoughts on supporting that?
tboooe

Re: UP Board

Postby ACX » 17 May 2016, 01:16

tboooe wrote:Any thoughts on supporting that?

The board or the Windows version? :)
Interesting board, although still with the same form factor and port layout as the Raspberry Pi (still waiting for the board with all the connectors on the same side... :roll: ). It will be probably featured among our certified devices.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby tboooe » 17 May 2016, 13:46

ACX wrote:Interesting board, although still with the same form factor and port layout as the Raspberry Pi (still waiting for the board with all the connectors on the same side... :roll: ). It will be probably featured among our certified devices.

Thank you for the reply. I meant support for Windows.
tboooe

Postby hondagx35 » 17 May 2016, 14:09

Hi tboose,

I meant support for Windows.

Are there any good reasons for this?
I always try to avoid the usage of Windows :shock:

Frank
hondagx35

Postby tboooe » 17 May 2016, 20:19

hondagx35 wrote:Hi tboose,

I meant support for Windows.

Are there any good reasons for this?
I always try to avoid the usage of Windows :shock:

Frank

My reasons for using Windows is twofold:

1. ease of installing and managing other software applications I use as part of my audio playback chain.
2. some software apps I use for audio are windows only (Jplay, Audiophile Optimizer, etc). So far using a windows machine as a renderer togeter with these optimization packages sound better then a Pi3 and Digi+ with RuneAudio as a renderer.
tboooe

Postby Dohmar » 19 May 2016, 07:48

Windows as an audio platform is compromised. It does not have the same level of control as Arch linux provides.
Linux is fundamentally part of the Rune solution. To get it on windows would require a re-write from the ground up, and even then it wouldn't operate the same due to architectural details.

If you absolutely must use windows, just download ASIO drivers for your soundcard and use any audio playing software you want to, as that is the closest you'll get to bit-perfect audio.

-D
Dohmar

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Feature request