Unable to find host from header PC

Raspberry Pi related support

Unable to find host from header PC

Postby Voldemort » 14 Mar 2019, 19:34

Hi, please could I have some help with setting up Rune Audio on a Raspberry Pi in headless mode? I have followed instructions from the “Reichelt You Tube” example, which seem comprehensive, but when I try connecting from my PC to the RPi using “runeaudio.local” I am blocked with an error message of “unable to find host”!
To explain what I have tried and the hardware configuration: I actually have two RPi 2 B+ and have tried both with identical results. The RPi is connected to my PC with a crossover ethernet cable and I have installed Putty on the PC. With Rasbian installed together with Vnc I can communicate between Putty and Rasbian and by entering runeaudio.local into the Vnc app I can display and conrol the rasbian screen from my PC. All well and good so far!
I have then gone to flash Rune Audio ( RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB.img (1)) onto the SD card which a first appears fine in that I can see everything comes up with the control panel on the screen attached to the RPi but I can do nothing to communicate with it from the PC. Tried runeaudio.local rueaudio rune.local RuneAudio.local ….... and many others but can no make it found! Bound to be something trivial but would really appreciate help. Thanks.
Voldemort

Re: Unable to find host from header PC

Postby eea123 » 15 Mar 2019, 11:19

It sounds like you have everything setup, have you tried plugging the Raspberry RuneAudio unit into its own ethernet connection so it shows on your network? I allow my router to assign IP addresses, so my device shows up with the Host Name of "runeaudio" and the IP address sometimes moves around depending on it was assigned an IP.
eea123

Postby Voldemort » 16 Mar 2019, 19:59

Thanks eea123, you have not exactly solved my problem but have given me a nudge that has moved me along tremendously; many thanks. From your suggestion I did connect direct to the (BT)router rather than ethernet cable direct into the PC and from this I can identify the IP address that the router has assigned to the RPi with runeaudio host. Using the found IP address I can then get into runeaudio and set the password for the WiFi interface; and having done this I can now go back to the router IP address table and find the IP address for WiFi access to my runeaudio server. ….. So I now have a runeaudio server working in headless mode i.e. just a power cord and WiFi adapter.
Im sure this is all very basic to you experts out there but is a major step for me on 24hrs ago! This said it is still a bit of a faf having to work out an IP address and there must be some better route along the lines of a locally specified address. Any suggestions or advice on what I am doing or wrongly expecting when I specify "runeaudio.local" as a browser address?
Voldemort

Postby janui » 17 Mar 2019, 10:17

Hi Voldemort,
Voldemort wrote:...Any suggestions or advice on what I am doing or wrongly expecting when I specify "runeaudio.local".. as a browser address?
See this post: post27201.html?hilit=local%20janui#p27201 Starting from the word 'Connect'.
janui
janui

Postby Voldemort » 17 Mar 2019, 10:23

Further update to my earlier post:

I have now downloaded "runeaudio controller" to my android tablet from playstore. Absolutely brilliant and painless! It goes through a cycle of searching for any runeaudio servers finds my server and automatically connects and I am in. No messing with IP addresses just click and go. Surely there must be some way to do something similar from my Win10 PC?
Voldemort

Postby Voldemort » 17 Mar 2019, 10:26

Sorry and thanks janui, I have only just seen your post. I will have a look at the link and see if that gives me any clues.
Voldemort

Postby eea123 » 17 Mar 2019, 11:24

Voldemort wrote:Further update to my earlier post:

I have now downloaded "runeaudio controller" to my android tablet from playstore. Absolutely brilliant and painless! It goes through a cycle of searching for any runeaudio servers finds my server and automatically connects and I am in. No messing with IP addresses just click and go. Surely there must be some way to do something similar from my Win10 PC?

Good to hear. I forgot about how easy the Android App setup is. I was thinking access from IE on a PC by typing in the IP address. You could assign a static IP to the player and only have to type it once and bookmark it. Even with DHCP, the IP of my device has only moved / changed once in a year.

As a further FYI, make sure the tablet and RuneAudio player are on the same network / domain as each other. I had been using a spare NetGear router in my house to cover WiFi dead spots and found the tablet couldn't find RA when it switched over. The 2nd router handed out it's own IP assignments, so I ended up buying a ZyXEL access point to solve the problem. I probably could have played around with the settings in the NetGear more, but ZyXEL was a $30 solution on 'daBay :).
eea123

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi