Unable to build library

Raspberry Pi related support

Unable to build library

Postby Hwrd69 » 15 Jan 2020, 01:21

I finally got my rpi4 up and running and installed the latest version of Runeaudio v e 2 with a Hifiberry DAC +Pro. I have my music on an USB flash drive. It sees the drive, but I can't load the library. The system comes up, I can play a song, but I can't get it to create the database so that it can access all music. I don't know if I'm doing something incorrectly, or it's another issue. But I'm getting frustrated not only with the issue, but the lack of intuitiveness and comprehensive documentation.

I appreciate any assistance. I want to enjoy my music, but I'm not going to add it manually one song at a time.
Thanks for any responses and assistance.

RPI4
RuneAudio+R e3
Hifiberry DAC +Pro
Samsung T5 500GB SSD
Hwrd69

Re: Unable to build library

Postby popov » 16 Jan 2020, 21:26

Hi
Stupid question you have enought power to use DD ?
Do you try to list your file with ls on terminal ?

Regards
popov

Postby eea123 » 18 Jan 2020, 09:28

So let me quantify that I am running a network drive - not a USB, but it appears to work in similar fashion. On the PI's opening screen I assume you get the "Browse Your Library" screen. I select Network Mounts, but you'd select USB storage. When I click Network Mounts, my NAS drive is shown. I click on the far right drop down menu for the drive and select Update this folder. It should build a database of all of your files / subdirectories. I arranged my NAS as N:\Music\Album1, N:\Music\Album2, … Once the MPD is built I can then select the network drive and see all of my subdirectories (which are individual albums). Same far right drop down menu let's me Add, Add & Play, or Add, Replace & Play an album.
eea123

Postby Hwrd69 » 18 Jan 2020, 20:14

eea123 wrote:So let me quantify that I am running a network drive - not a USB, but it appears to work in similar fashion. On the PI's opening screen I assume you get the "Browse Your Library" screen. I select Network Mounts, but you'd select USB storage. When I click Network Mounts, my NAS drive is shown. I click on the far right drop down menu for the drive and select Update this folder. It should build a database of all of your files / subdirectories. I arranged my NAS as N:\Music\Album1, N:\Music\Album2, … Once the MPD is built I can then select the network drive and see all of my subdirectories (which are individual albums). Same far right drop down menu let's me Add, Add & Play, or Add, Replace & Play an album.

Since I first asked for help I received my Samsung T5 500GB SSD. In the Raspberry Pi OS I can both see and access the drive. However, when I switch over to the RuneAudio OS it no longer detects the drive and shows there is nothing available.

I guess my questions iIs there a config file (or some other type) that needs to be updated on a pc before I can detect the SSD?
I am slightly lost as I thought this would be a tad more intuitive to figure out. I'm out of my comfort zone here since I have no background in Linux or any of its derivatives. But, with clear documentation I could figure it out. However, I have found that after many, many searches and reading articles that it is not clear. I just want to get this operational so I can enjoy my music. I'm past the Pi and the DAC+ Pro working together. Just need to get access to my files.

What makes this even more frustrating is that in the rural area I live I do not have normal internet access. It is only via PDANet through my phone and I cannot get the Pi and the laptop to work together for this access. So, I have to come to work to do it. :cry:

Thanks again for any and all responses.

RPI4
RuneAudio+R e3
Hifiberry DAC +Pro
Samsung T5 500GB SSD
Hwrd69

Postby eea123 » 19 Jan 2020, 11:00

Since I'm not using a USB drive, I'm just stepping thru the instructions:

Under the upper right MENU, select Sources

You should see USB mounts below Network. Looks like there is a mention of your issue there?

USB mounts
List of mounted USB drives. To safe unmount a drive, click on it and confirm at the dialog prompt.
If a drive is connected but not shown in the list, please check if USB automount is enabled.

The USB Automount is actually under Settings, but the hotlink will take you there also. Hoping this gets you closer to a solution.
eea123

Postby Hwrd69 » 19 Jan 2020, 14:27

Thanks for the info. I will definitely give it a try and I will update if that worked for me, or if I had other issues.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and give me some direction.

RPI4
RuneAudio+R e3
Hifiberry DAC +Pro
Samsung T5 500GB SSD
Hwrd69

Postby Hwrd69 » 27 Jan 2020, 02:10

Update - Due to computer (laptop) issues I've been unable to do any updates to my setup. However, I did reformat my SSD with NTFS and now I can see and play my library. That's the good news. I'm having a hard time finding information on performing some functions. For example, when I build a playlist I have to select each song one-by-one. Isn't there a way to select a folder to get all the files at once?

RPI4
RuneAudio+R e3
Hifiberry DAC +Pro
Samsung T5 500GB SSD
Hwrd69

Postby eea123 » 27 Jan 2020, 10:46

Do you do see the folders after you click into that Volume / Drive to play back? If so you should be able to click on the 3 horizontal lines at the far right of each folder. That will give you Add, Add&Play or Add,Play&Replace. This builds the Play Back list. If you do it at the folder level it should add the whole folder of songs at once. If you click into the folder, you'll see individual tracks which can be added one at a time.
eea123

Postby Hwrd69 » 27 Jan 2020, 13:45

Thanks for the response. To be honest I'm not sure if I saw the lines to the right. I will check that out when I get home this evening. It sure would make it a lot easier than adding one track at a time. :-)

RPI4
RuneAudio+R e3
Hifiberry DAC +Pro
Samsung T5 500GB SSD
Hwrd69

Postby Hwrd69 » 28 Jan 2020, 01:17

eea123 wrote:Do you do see the folders after you click into that Volume / Drive to play back? If so you should be able to click on the 3 horizontal lines at the far right of each folder. That will give you Add, Add&Play or Add,Play&Replace. This builds the Play Back list. If you do it at the folder level it should add the whole folder of songs at once. If you click into the folder, you'll see individual tracks which can be added one at a time.

UPDATE: I fired up the system and when I brought up the screen with the folders there were no lines on the right hand side. There is a vertical index bar to jump to the first letter. If there is a way to make the index go away so that the bars show up, I was unable to find it.

I appreciate any responses and help. Yes, I'm a newbie, I'm trying to get through this so I can enjoy the system. I just ask you be patient with my questions.

RPI4
Runeaudio v e 2
Hifiberry DAC +Pro
Samsung T5 500GB SSD

RPI4
RuneAudio+R e3
Hifiberry DAC +Pro
Samsung T5 500GB SSD
Hwrd69

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi