Umlaute ö and things like é

Please report any bug found here

Umlaute ö and things like é

Postby Tinitus » 09 Jun 2015, 21:13

Hi,

I got all kinds of music on my HDD. I already removed all é and other letters be they French or Italian because I can't get them displayed properly in the shell. The Umlaute like Ä for instance are not displayed properly either but if I write "Die Ärzte" it works although the folder name is displayed "Die ?rzte". But if I write "Einstürzende Neubauten" it doesn't work.
I also had the problem that in the WebUI a track title was displayed "Die F?rstin" instead of "Die Fürstin". Would running convmv solve the problem? And is there any solution to save all those lovely French and Italian letters?

That would be awfully nice

Please let Édith Piaf be her proper self likewise with Fabrizio de André
Cavolo non lasciamoci dominare dal'Inghlese per favore ragazzi siete Italiani veri (questa è di Toto)

Tinitus
Tinitus

Re: Umlaute ö and things like é

Postby Tinitus » 10 Jun 2015, 14:06

Hi,

just to be precise that is not a bug due to RuneAudio but a problem due to the fact that I am using Windows 7 in order to download my music. Would the problem be solved if I downloaded music with a Linux? But does Linux work with a nuts HDD?

Tinitus
Tinitus

Postby hondagx35 » 10 Jun 2015, 15:42

Hi Tinitus,

I got all kinds of music on my HDD

What file format (wav, mp3 or flac)?

I never did and will understand why people use special characters in file names.
It is so hard for developers to handle such file and path names.
Also you may get strange behavior by moving such files over different OSs.

I personally only use flac and mp3 files.
Both without any special characters, but tagged with correct names / attributes.

Umlaute1.jpg
Umlaute1.jpg (54.13 KiB) Viewed 1668 times

Umlaute2.jpg
Umlaute2.jpg (80.99 KiB) Viewed 1668 times

Frank
hondagx35

Postby Aquarius » 11 Jun 2015, 09:08

hondagx35 wrote:What file format (wav, mp3 orflac)?

I never did and will understand why people use special characters in file names.
It is so hard for developers to handle such file and path names.
Also you may get strange behavior by moving such files over different OSs.

I personally only use flac and mp3 files.
Both without any special characters, but tagged with correct names / attributes.

The attachment Umlaute1.jpg is no longer available

The attachment Umlaute2.jpg is no longer available

Frank
Specidal characters work fine on my use (all linux boxes in the home, a NAS,...)
But...

I will never understand why devs don't use encoding schemes that deal with "special" characters correctly. Please keep in mind that what is a "special" character for you is a perfectly normal letter in my own language. I should be able to have filenames of all my Tchaïchovsky libray in cyrilic alphabet for instance as well as all the perfectly fine german Lieders titles, or nordic death metal titles. The linux world has been using UTF8 for years now, there are probably a number of ways to deal with those name correctly in a web interface. Don't get me wrong, it's not RuneUI's fault if Windows mangles the filenames, it's the filesystem's fault.

In understand that you would keep "normal" characters in the filename and use "special" characters only in tags but this brings useless confusion and can lead to mistakes (what about sorting, for instance?). We're no longer in the dark ages of computers, where we were bound by the limitations of FAT32 or even NTFS. There are legitimate modern filessystems without those limitations.

And with special characters I guess you also take care of filename length, path length, etc... these worries **should** no longer exist on any modern computer (less than 10 years old). So yes, it creates problems to me when (for example) I want to give a couple of albums to a friend. Filenames and directory names are often too long. But I shouldn't be limited by other people using crapy software.
Attachments
Tchaikovsky2.jpg
Tchaikovsky2.jpg (85.99 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
Tchaikovsky.jpg
Tchaikovsky.jpg (52.78 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
-- Aquarius
Hifi Gear: RuneAudio/Volumio on Raspberry Pi B + Hifibery Digi, Atoll ST200 (network streamer, DAC, pre-amp), Emotiva XPA-2, Bowers & Wilkins 683
Aquarius

Postby Tinitus » 11 Jun 2015, 23:02

Hi Frank,

as you will know by now sometimes the ideas I post are only half baked. I understand now that it is sufficient that the file of the individual song is tagged properly in order for it to be displayed correctly. Funny thing is that when browsing the library I have the correct spelling, even when I add the file to the queue it is displayed properly when I choose a song from the queue and play it and go from menu queue to menu play (basically the view you displayed in your screenshots) all the Umlaute are displayed as "?" Will running convmv solve the problem or would it be better to download my music with a Linux system? That should work with a ntfs formatted HDD, too I guess.

Hi Aquarius,

unfortunately in our modern world if you fit the bell curve things are quite easy but if you don't fit the bell curve then things become quite difficult. Using letters which are not part of the English alphabet definitely falls into the second category.

C'est la vie
È un ingiustizia però dixit Calimero
Tinitus

Postby Tinitus » 11 Jun 2015, 23:10

Oh

by the way my music is all *.wav and I know that is hardly understandable when at the same time I am moaning about the price of SSD
Tinitus

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Bug report