Trying to access music on Windows 7 PC

Raspberry Pi related support

Trying to access music on Windows 7 PC

Postby Jan-Bart » 25 Feb 2014, 20:36

Hi Folks,

First of all and most importantly let me start by congratulating you with the fantastic development of Rune Audio. For ages I've been searching for a way to stream my music files (CD's ripped to FLAC) to my Pink Faun USB DAC which wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. Well I think I found the perfect solution now!

Till now I've been streaming my audio files from an external USB hard drive connected directly to the Raspberry Pi. As I want to get rid of anything that could create background noise in my listening room (young children at home so I cannot simply turn up the volume) the USB drive has to go. Simple solution: stream the files from another PC. Unfortunately I've been trying to get things to work for the last couple of days but without succes (or should I say luck).

Here's where I got to:
1. I've shared my music folders through the method described in the first post of the following forum link:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=63123

2. Tried to acces these folders from the raspberry pi/Rune Audio through the web user interface. I assume that the 'remote directory' is the directory of the folder on the WIndows machine. In my case for example C:/Users/Jan-Bart/Music.

The error I keep getting back is "Retrying with upper case share name mount error(6): No such device or address Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)"

Could anybody give some instructions or hints to get things running?

The version of windows I'm running is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Thanks for the assistance and keep up the good work!

Jan-Bart
Jan-Bart

Re: Trying to access music on Windows 7 PC

Postby ACX » 25 Feb 2014, 22:30

Hi Jan-Bart, thank you for the appreciation.
The ideal solution would be storing all your music in a NAS and hide it somewhere, from your eyes and from your children :D Then you could access to all your music library from every device connected to your network, including your Raspberry Pi, without having to power on your Windows 7 PC.
Anyway, to access your Windows shared folder from RuneUI (let's suppose it's named Music), you should follow these instructions:
  1. in the Fileshare protocol menu, select SMB/CIFS
  2. in the IP address field, type your Windows 7 PC ip address (i.e. 192.168.1.150)
  3. in the Remote directory field, type the name of your shared folder (in our case: Music)
  4. set Guest access to OFF and set correct Username and Password
  5. save your mount
You should get something like NAS/MUSIC //192.168.1.150/Music as resulting entry.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby Jan-Bart » 26 Feb 2014, 21:02

Hi ACX,

Yes a NAS... you don't have to convince me... try and convince my wife :D

Thanks for the support. Unfortunately that still didn't solve the problem.

As a test I placed a folder on the desktop, named it 'Music' and shared it (right mouseclick, share with, selected all).
Then filled in following parameters in the RuneUi:
Source name: Music
Fileshare protocol: SMB/CIFS
IP address: 192.169.1.3
Remote directory: Music
SMB guest access:ON (I do not have a password set on the PC nor on the shared folder)

I still get the "Retrying with upper case share name mount error(6): No such device or address Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)" error.

Do I need to set up a home network on my PC first and add the Pi to it (windows 7 home premium cannot setup any other network than a home network I believe)? Or am I missing something else?

Again thanks a lot for the support!
Jan-Bart

Postby Jan-Bart » 26 Feb 2014, 21:12

OK I've cracked the problem...

For those with the same issue:
instead of right click on the folder and selecting share with you need to select properties. Then select the 'share tab' and push the 'advanced sharing' button. There you can select share folder.

And who thought Windows wasn't user friendly :roll:
Jan-Bart

Postby ACX » 26 Feb 2014, 21:29

It was way easier on WinXP!
Glad you have solved, now you can finally enjoy your music :)
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi