The New 4-core Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: The New 4-core Raspberry Pi

Postby dwijtsma » 06 Feb 2015, 08:42

Arch linux has raspberry pi 2 support! :roll:
http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7 ... berry-pi-2
I guess this means that it is possible to build runeaudio for the pi 2, but I don't know how much work it is.

I got mi pi2 Wednesday, but I don't have time to play with it before Sunday. Is it very complicated to build rune audio with the new arch linux kernel? Otherwise I could try it myself.
Audio gear: RuneAudio on Raspberry Pi 2 + Dr. DAC nano, Marantz pm66se, Avalon Avatar
dwijtsma

Postby ACX » 06 Feb 2015, 15:01

dwijtsma wrote:Is it very complicated to build rune audio with the new arch linux kernel? Otherwise I could try it myself.

It isn't, if you follow the cookbook we are preparing... but it's not ready yet. So it would be better to wait for 0.4 release at this point.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby popov » 06 Feb 2015, 23:17

Hi

First thank you to all team for the works.
I agree with ACX, we will wait for 0.4 to support RPI, and try to understand how rpi 2 may increased sound quality ?

What is different
CPU, memory
What is equivalent the rest ....

CPU with more speed and more // process mean we will be able to able to do more action with less interval.
For exemple, my choise is to is2 dac (iqaudio) with local USB disk
I don't have nas so the choice look easy... But in fact wifi is not support flac files over 48 mhz (may do 96 but ... no guarenties)
USB shared with network mean lan will be restricted, by the bus and by the processor speed. IP have some advantage... but is less efficient than disk access, and with usb share will introduce IRQ to CPU with will decrease performance. So RPI network to contrôle rune, fine, to have hight music definition, not totaly confiant. increasing cpu speed, memory and parrallel process, may change this .... But for the moment i will keep local USB.
IS2 DAC is fine but for the moment (not a real problem form me) limited to 192 ... to play DSD or 384 you need to transform the signal first .... And RPI 1 is limited .... So we can hope than RPI 2 will be able to support DSD and 384..... If yes maybe a reason to upgrade
the other way to play DSD or 384 files is to use and external DAC... Normaly USB speed is suffisant.... To transmit signa in both sides, form source to CPU and to CPU to extrernal dac...
From a local USB disk this should work. with an network connection .... Not so evident, As i say network introduce more IRQ, so more delay and more "clic". CPU capabilites may reduce that, enought ?
This will change with protocol we will used .... to get information
Internet protocol to Stream i not so bad, they are not to verbose and reduce amont of data. Microsoft or samba share are less efficient. I still notice that with a cifs share you may X 10 the amount of data on network (one file from 1M, may generetad, with retry, errrors .... 10 M on netwok). RPI2 may reduce IRQ impacts, not network volumes... It should be better for NAS, streaming, enought ?

Have RPI will be a good idear to play DSD or hight definition files. Having IS2 dac with DSD support an other one....
Helping all team, and enjoy the music with the actual version an other one :D

regards
popov

Postby franz159 » 08 Feb 2015, 02:54

ACX wrote:
dwijtsma wrote:Is it very complicated to build rune audio with the new arch linux kernel? Otherwise I could try it myself.

It isn't, if you follow the cookbook we are preparing... but it's not ready yet. So it would be better to wait for 0.4 release at this point.

Hi ACX,
I know the way you work (from the wonderful outcome you have produced) and I also know you cannot (and should not) commit to a specific release date. However, would you be able to share which is your "target" ideal date for 0.4 release?
Many thanks and again keep up with your excellent work!
On my part, I continue to promote it whenever I post on various forums about "liquid music" and low cost streaming.
Regards
Franz
franz159

Postby ACX » 08 Feb 2015, 03:04

franz159 wrote:I know the way you work (from the wonderful outcome you have produced) and I also know you cannot (and should not) commit to a specific release date. However, would you be able to share which is your "target" ideal date for 0.4 release?

As soon as possible, surely this month. We had to stop the development for a while because both Simone and I have been involved in a job that monopolized our time. Starting from next week we'll put our brains again on the 0.4 version, which is going to be released also for Raspberry Pi 2 and after that to all the other platforms.

franz159 wrote:On my part, I continue to promote it whenever I post on various forums about "liquid music" and low cost streaming

Well that's one of the most appreciated ways to contribute to the project :) Thank you.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby nopphong » 09 Feb 2015, 04:53

This is a very good news to me.My pi b+ have some problem play 24/192 files.It just some time (not often) stutter but that no good for audiophile system.I overclock to 1GHz and less problem.Now with new CPU this problem should be solve :)
nopphong

Postby dwijtsma » 09 Feb 2015, 09:12

Good to know that overclocking the CPU helps for playing very high bitrates. Hopefully the pi2 will solve this completely.

Don't have a TV with HDMI, so I couldn't get Arch running. SSH is not installed by default and composite video is also disabled. Couldn't change the tar.gz archive because 7-zip complained about 2 files with the same name. One file is uppercase and the other in lowercase. Long live Windows. :( I could get Raspbian up and running and play with it using xrdp.

Today I will buy a HDMI/DVI adapter so I can install arch Linux. I just found the cookbook_development.txt file. I will try to follow the guide, but somehow I have the feeling that life ain't that easy. Any hint of what I might ran into or what is missing to get this to work? Maybe one day I'll become a Linux master :ugeek:, but currently I still have to learn a lot of Linux basic principles.
Audio gear: RuneAudio on Raspberry Pi 2 + Dr. DAC nano, Marantz pm66se, Avalon Avatar
dwijtsma

Postby dwijtsma » 09 Feb 2015, 21:43

Great start. The Archlinux team doesn't create .img files anymore I can flash on the SD card. Using Windows I can't create 2 partitions on an SD card. I tried Ubuntu using a virtual machine. But once I create the 2 partitions I get strange errors and the SD card is gone in Linux. :shock:

Just found out that I can run Ubuntu from a USB stick, so I don't have to install Ubuntu next to my Windows OS to make this work. Step one is going smooth...
dwijtsma

Postby ACX » 10 Feb 2015, 01:12

dwijtsma wrote:Great start. The Archlinux team doesn't create .img files anymore I can flash on the SD card.

Are you following the official guide?
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby dwijtsma » 10 Feb 2015, 19:26

I don't have Linux on my PC, so I just installed lubuntu on a USB stick. Than I indeed followed the guide and the SD card booted :mrgreen:

Now I follow your cookbook from github:
https://github.com/RuneAudio/RuneOS/blo ... opment.txt

Hopefully everything will go smooth. If you have any tips i'm all ears. :D
Last edited by dwijtsma on 10 Feb 2015, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
dwijtsma

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi