The New 4-core Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: The New 4-core Raspberry Pi

Postby tinue » 02 Feb 2015, 20:41

dwijtsma wrote:Since the RP 2 has a different processor, don't you need different kernel files to make it work?
Room correction would be nice indeed :roll:
An even faster GUI is also nice off course.

I think new firmware is required, but not a new kernel. Raspbian (2015-01-31) still runs on Model B+ and on the new model 2 B.

Update: I was wrong, the Raspbian.org page says "...image including an ARMv7 kernel", so a new kernel is required. Anyway: Whether it's just new firmware, or a new kernel doesn't matter. The existing Runeaudio image will not work.
tinue

Postby Orion » 03 Feb 2015, 00:38

tinue wrote:Update: I was wrong, the Raspbian.org page says "...image including an ARMv7 kernel", so a new kernel is required. Anyway: Whether it's just new firmware, or a new kernel doesn't matter. The existing Runeaudio image will not work.

You are right, the new Rpi board needs an ARMv7 kernel, so the current Rpi image (with ARMv6 kernel) will not work, but for sure...RuneAudio will support the new board.
We are only waiting to have one of the new boards in our hands.

Ciao.
Simone.
RuneAudio - Embedded Hi-Fi music player
SoloStereo - Alla riscoperta dell'alta fedeltà
Orion
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby dwijtsma » 03 Feb 2015, 08:26

Thanks for the info Orion,

I really hoped you guys were planning to support this version. :D
I just ordered one before they would get out of stock everywhere.

Maybe some new features are possible in the future due to the quad core cortex A7.
Audio gear: RuneAudio on Raspberry Pi 2 + Dr. DAC nano, Marantz pm66se, Avalon Avatar
dwijtsma

Postby audioGM » 03 Feb 2015, 21:46

I for one am not so impressed with the new Pi, at least, for RuneAudio. I see nothing in RuneAudio that needs anywhere near quadcore or 1GB ram.

Yeah, the new PI is cool as a small, low power server (for which the ordinary PI has to work really hard). But RuneAudio is just so featherlight. I think you will not even notice the difference.
audioGM

Postby npejcic » 03 Feb 2015, 22:05

I mostly agree with audioGM, but I notice that some of FLAC-s with 192kHz sample rate can be demanding and use more than 65% of Raspberry Pi B/B+ CPU. Sometime this can causes audio chopping. From this perspective, more powerful CPU can be useful.

But, most expected upgrade for Raspberry Pi is solution with better/faster LAN Phy, including independent bus, so USB can finally vent :) This is maybe task for Raspberry Pi 3 in next years.

Anyway, for same price if we have slightly better CPU, why not :)

P.S. In my test with HD FLAC I use Raspberry Pi B+ and RaspyPlay4 I2S DAC
npejcic

Postby dwijtsma » 04 Feb 2015, 08:48

The Pi 2 might not deliver miracles, but might improves some things:
- Faster connection to the GUI from a tablet. Now it takes a few seconds.
- Play bit rates of 2500kbps. (Yes, I have one album at this rate) :roll:
- room correction? Is the PI 2 fast enough to pull this off?
Audio gear: RuneAudio on Raspberry Pi 2 + Dr. DAC nano, Marantz pm66se, Avalon Avatar
dwijtsma

Postby Aquarius » 04 Feb 2015, 11:21

dwijtsma wrote:The Pi 2 might not deliver miracles, but might improves some things:
- Faster connection to the GUI from a tablet. Now it takes a few seconds.
- Play bit rates of 2500kbps. (Yes, I have one album at this rate) :roll:
- room correction? Is the PI 2 fast enough to pull this off?

Room correction is not very demanding, you're supposed to use a freakingly good analog to digital converter to analyse your room, chose what corrections to apply... that's supposed to be the difficult part. After that, you "just" have to apply that to live sound (some series of FFTs, I guess).
-- Aquarius
Hifi Gear: RuneAudio/Volumio on Raspberry Pi B + Hifibery Digi, Atoll ST200 (network streamer, DAC, pre-amp), Emotiva XPA-2, Bowers & Wilkins 683
Aquarius

Postby dwijtsma » 04 Feb 2015, 16:03

Room correction has to be done in the frequency and time domain.
REW is an open source project that can do room correction on a PC. http://www.roomeqwizard.com/
Maybe REW can produce an output file which can be imported using the runeaudio GUI to correct the 'special effects' of our living/listening rooms. I heard something about BruteFIR in the past that might be able to pull this off.

In principle you need a calibrated microphone connected to a standard PC sound card and PC software to create such an output file. Adding this part to a runeaudio would make it unnecessarily complicated I think.
dwijtsma

Postby jnfindley » 05 Feb 2015, 17:03

Here is a link to an article which contains some benchmarks on the Raspberry Pi and the Pi 2, so you can compare.

Raspberry Pi 2 Benchmarked
By daveh, Published Feb 04, 2015

http://www.davidhunt.ie/raspberry-pi-2-benchmarked/

As you can see, there is a nice performance increase in cpu, memory, storage random write (I assume SD card), and storage random read (I assume SD card). Considering that RuneAudio is built on top of a multi-tasking OS, I would think that all of the above improvements would be most welcome.
jnfindley

Postby ACX » 05 Feb 2015, 18:46

jnfindley wrote:Here is a link to an article which contains some benchmarks on the Raspberry Pi and the Pi 2, so you can compare.

Very interesting.
I'm curious to test it personally, we already ordered a couple of boards.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi