Synology NAS > how not to re-build library every day

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Synology NAS > how not to re-build library every day

Postby AndyF » 10 Aug 2019, 13:52

Hi JetAir,

only a stupid idea - try to set a fixed IP-Address to runeaudio. If I switch to DHCP, my NAS sometimes is unavailable at startup. It seems, mounting occurs before runeaudio get a suitable IP-address.

regards, Andy
AndyF

Postby JetAir » 11 Aug 2019, 09:39

Dears, in a very advance I want to say big THANKS for your advises.
And additionally I want to say SORRY for the fact that I’M SO STUPID ((((((

How resolved > while checking answer on every your question and proposal, I realized the following:
• In the MPD settings screen, what is your 'Auto Update' setting? Enabled or Disabled?
>>> Here was the main trick. It was YES (because in the notes it was mentioned that this helps to have NEW/UPDATED files become visible).
In reality, based on my practice, this rebuilds library after every start up. And here was the issue. Now I put is as Disables and at least 2 rounds of ON/OFF it was OK.

And here answers on your questions and proposals. May be in the future it could help other colleagues in quite similar situations.

• Does MPD really completely forget the library on restart, or is it just very slow to refresh (i.e. several minutes)? There's a known issue - a workaround is here: rune-ui-is-slow-t6829-10.html#p28023
> Looks like YES,

• Do you Update or Rebuild the library?
> I was pressing both. I, honestly saying, don’t recognize what is the difference because it took the same time for both options.

• I assume you're using the latest version of Synology DSM (currently DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 2 for both my DS212 and DS918+). Is the NAS generally responsive? Try installing something like foobar2000 on your PC, and pointing it at your NAS's music library - does the library refresh in only a few minutes? Do you have many other Synology apps running?
> Yes, I have the latest DSM
> It’s responsive. I used foobar to chech USB DAC’s input and it worked OK (can’t say perfectly, because sound was not as pure as with DIGI+ and with my previous Pioneer N-30)
> As for refreshment of the library > for Pioneer N-30 it doesn’t take time as all. Looks like it serves as DLNA client (correct?) and very fast reads all the folders.

• In DSM's Control Panel > File Services > Advanced, are SSDP and WS-Discovery activated?
> SSDP – YES
> WS – no as it mainly to have folders visible via Windows File manager, but I prefer to mount NAS folders as network disks.

• In DSM's Control Panel > Indexing Service > Indexed Folder, is the 'music' folder set with File Type 'music'?
> YES.

• Do you have the Synology Drive Admin Console installed on your NAS? If so, is 'Intelliversioning' switched off? How many versions are set for the 'music' folder? (from memory I recall the default number is quite high - 32 or something like that). Try reducing the number to 4.
> Not sure. At least I was not overloading NAS with additional APPS. The main purpose for my second NAS (414) was
> Become a source for music (and via mobile App in the car as well)
> Synology Moments to have unified storage for photos in initial resolution
> … so no any additionals tasks for it.

- The actions which you carried out show that the MPD music library is created properly and is correctly saved. The only way I know which would delete the library contents is to mount the NAS with no music files present. I suspect that somehow the NAS is mounted correctly, but its contents only become visible after a delay.
> Here looks it’s visible. At lease all mobile applications (DS File, DS Music, my Laptop) show good speed and full visibility of the folders) + I checked on previous equipment (Pioneer N-30 and Foobar)

- Just to eliminate other potential problems, could you look in the Sources UI, click on your NAS mount, then in the NAS Mounts UI click on 'Advanced Options'. Could you report the value shown in the 'Mount flags' field?
> Can’t find it now. Lost me notes. But I remember, that I it was abs std. I erased it, but then it was automatically restored to pretty default settings.
Sources:
- LP: ProJect-1 Anniversary + phono Cambridge Audio 651P
- CD: Philips CD104
- Digital: Hifiberry DIGI+ PRO & NAS Synology DS414
- FM: Sony 3ES
DAC/Pre.Amp: Burson Audio 160D
Power Amp: QUAD 405-2
Acoustics: Celestion SL6 Signature
JetAir

Postby englishtim » 11 Aug 2019, 12:05

Hi JetAir,

You're very welcome, and I'm glad the problem is fixed. Please don't feel that you need to apologise - there's no such thing as a stupid question! :D

In my setup I have MPD Auto Update set to Off, and at least for me Rune starts up pretty quickly (with a library of almost 1,000 albums / 11,500 tracks). It's worth remembering that whenever MPD updates its library it has to work pretty hard - it interrogates the metadata embedded in every audio file it finds in the 'Source' location, and builds its own database describing where everything is, and each track's artist, composer, album title etc.. In reality it's not necessary to do this every time Rune starts up - in my own case I generally process music in batches (e.g. converting CDs to lossless library files), and I only do an MPD Library Update when a batch is finished.

I hope you enjoy Rune - it's a great product, and IMHO the best open-source network music system out there!

Peace and friendship,
englishtim

P.S. I see from your signature that you're a fellow Celestion SL6 owner. I've had mine from new since 1983, and I absolutely love them!
Synology DS918+ NAS >
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ > Behringer UCA202 >
    • Denon RCD-M38DAB > KEF Cresta II
    • Pro-Ject Head Box S > Sennheiser HD 650
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B > Behringer UCA202 > Sansui AU-317 > Celestion SL6
englishtim

Postby JetAir » 15 Aug 2019, 22:22

Hello Englishtim!

englishtim wrote:Hi JetAir,

You're very welcome, and I'm glad the problem is fixed. Please don't feel that you need to apologise - there's no such thing as a stupid question! :D

In my setup I have MPD Auto Update set to Off, and at least for me Rune starts up pretty quickly (with a library of almost 1,000 albums / 11,500 tracks).

I hope you enjoy Rune - it's a great product, and IMHO the best open-source network music system out there!

P.S. I see from your signature that you're a fellow Celestion SL6 owner. I've had mine from new since 1983, and I absolutely love them!

Sorry for delay with the answer(
Was completely overloaded at work.

I read about your 1000 albums ad wondering how long it takes to update the Rune audio library.
And here is the question if there is any difference between update and rebuild. How you deal with this?

And one more thought just to share > previously I had media player Pioneer N-30 and it works with completely another logic - like DLNA client, I assume. So it was not reading the full library and indexing it, but just browsing the folders. Was connected to my Synology as well and worked very fast (stopped to work after ~50h of work .... still can't find who will make it alive).
So the question is why Rune use another logic with building own library. Any ideas?

And here I should mention that Pioneer remote app (iOS) is very ... how to say ... outdated ... like made in Y2009. So I've decided to try with RPI + DIGI and Rune. And happy for now. And I would say that Rune forum is very specific with positive sign - here you can get technical support at better level vs many "enterprise" forums. Even with my stupid questions I've got ~10 ideas in 2 days and finally solved the issue. thxs again for this.
In this light Rune is perfect App/Platform!

as off top: Celestion is my first acoustic, bought it 2 years ago and started to use ~6 month ago. Was reading quite a lot about them and see 2 different opinions: some people say they are perfect for their size/price and others that SL6 are the most overstated items ever.

I personally think they works pretty fine with my QUAD (looks like they were born +/- in the same decades and this explains why they match). In long term plan is to try smth bigger i.e. floor size. But it's always a challenge to make a choice and not to lose).
Sources:
- LP: ProJect-1 Anniversary + phono Cambridge Audio 651P
- CD: Philips CD104
- Digital: Hifiberry DIGI+ PRO & NAS Synology DS414
- FM: Sony 3ES
DAC/Pre.Amp: Burson Audio 160D
Power Amp: QUAD 405-2
Acoustics: Celestion SL6 Signature
JetAir

Postby englishtim » 26 Aug 2019, 12:59

Hi JetAir,

I read about your 1000 albums ad wondering how long it takes to update the Rune audio library.
And here is the question if there is any difference between update and rebuild. How you deal with this?

I believe that the difference between 'Update' and 'Rebuild' is that Rebuild effectively replaces the existing MPD database with a brand new one and builds the entire library from scratch, whereas Update only looks for differences (e.g. new tracks) between the information it already holds and whatever the library-source contains. I'm happy to be corrected if any other forum members have more information about this.

And one more thought just to share > previously I had media player Pioneer N-30 and it works with completely another logic - like DLNA client, I assume. So it was not reading the full library and indexing it, but just browsing the folders. Was connected to my Synology as well and worked very fast (stopped to work after ~50h of work .... still can't find who will make it alive).
So the question is why Rune use another logic with building own library. Any ideas?

There are several different architectures for network music systems out there. The differences and advantages / disadvantages are explained nicely here:

https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/pages/homenet-audio.html

In summary, with DLNA (and uPnP) there's a big architectural separation between the Media Server (e.g. the DLNA "Media Server" app running on your Synology NAS), the Media Renderer (the device that actually plays the music - e.g. your Pioneer player), and the Control Point (the device you use to select tracks and tell the Renderer to play them). MPD is a combined tags manager (i.e. partly similar to a DLNA Media Server) and audio-only Media Renderer, and RuneAudio's user interface (either the web-based RuneUI or the Android app) acts as the Control Point. MPD's big advantages are that it can be made to handle the audio in a Bit-Perfect way end-to-end, and that it's extremely lightweight, so runs on just about anything (e.g. Raspberry Pi).

Don't forget that MPD / RuneAudio can also act as a "dumb" DLNA Media Renderer (i.e. using other devices as the Media Server and Control Point) - in this scenario you can use something like Synology Audio Station as the Control Point, and tell it to use your RuneAudio device as the Renderer.

Off-Topic: it's good to hear that you like the SL6s - for me, their exceptionally smooth high-frequency performance is outstanding even now (FYI I've had moderate tinnitus and hyperacusis since childhood, and I'm particularly sensitive to "ragged" rendering of high frequencies).

I hope this helps,

Peace and friendship,
englishtim
Synology DS918+ NAS >
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ > Behringer UCA202 >
    • Denon RCD-M38DAB > KEF Cresta II
    • Pro-Ject Head Box S > Sennheiser HD 650
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B > Behringer UCA202 > Sansui AU-317 > Celestion SL6
englishtim

Postby kw* » 06 Sep 2020, 17:30

Hi,

I‘ve read all the stuff and there‘s on question left:

Setting:

[Synology DS 716+II] —RJ45–> [Odroid C1+] —USB—> [Amp, digital input]

• RuneAudio v0.3-beta (25/08/2015), player,no DLNA
  • Synology DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2
  • MPD is fine (checked green), found Synology network music (sub-)folder
  • runeaudio and NAS run 24/7, no sleeping mode

What doesn‘t happen: MPD does not process update when I put new files in music directory. The only way is a manual rebuild which takes just seconds (apart from initial). So how can I get MPD to update without restarting?

Side note: the reason for the continuous operation is that Odroid is attached to the NAS and this again solves the problem with an amp input activity.

Regards,
Oliver
Raspberry Pi 3 B+, rAudio-1 v20230101
kw*

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to Raspberry Pi