Suggest a I2s DAC for me....

Everything about Hi-Fi equipment

Suggest a I2s DAC for me....

Postby Screwdriver » 16 Oct 2016, 02:21

Currently using a Dragonfly Black with my RPi3 and digging the sound. System is the DF Black into a PSAudio Sprout.....Thing is, the DF is my Laptop travel DAC, so I would like to get a I2s DAC that sounds as good or better.

Thanks.
Screwdriver

Re: Suggest a I2s DAC for me....

Postby KHatfull » 16 Oct 2016, 03:26

Screwdriver wrote:Currently using a Dragonfly Black with my RPi3 and digging the sound. System is the DF Black into a PSAudio Sprout.....Thing is, the DF is my Laptop travel DAC, so I would like to get a I2s DAC that sounds as good or better.

Thanks.

I was very fond of the IQAudio PI-DAC+ that I used. The only reason that I replaced it with a Digi+ is that I got a new DAC for the rest fo the system.

I;d consider it highly recommended.
Synology DS214+ -> RP3 -> Hifiberry Digi+ -> Audio-Gd NOS1704 (coax) -> Audio-GD C-2 preamp/headphone amp ->

1) Yamaha M-4 Power Amp -> Energy Pro 22 Speakers OR 2) HiFiMan HE-400i

Audio Nirvana!!!
KHatfull

Postby rikardo1979 » 04 Nov 2016, 12:58

>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<
rikardo1979

Postby Yatsushiro » 04 Nov 2016, 13:49

Don't overlook the Allo products. They have a choice of DAC, and the Kali reclocker, and a mix'n'match bundle choice.

I now use a Mamboberry LS DAC with the Kali reclocker to great effect, but will be trying a Piano Dac hopefully this weekend.

https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/piano-dac.html
http://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/bundle-kali-piano.html
Yatsushiro

Postby Blackfear » 18 Nov 2016, 09:41

Yatsushiro wrote:Don't overlook the Allo products. They have a choice of DAC, and the Kali reclocker, and a mix'n'match bundle choice.

I now use a Mamboberry LS DAC with the Kali reclocker to great effect, but will be trying a Piano Dac hopefully this weekend.

https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/piano-dac.html
http://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/bundle-kali-piano.html

Hello Yatsushiro, have you already tested Piano DAC, i have same DAC now, first Mambo LS, testing two weeks, and now i used Piano DAC, of course paired with Kali reclocker onto Rpi 3 and supply is provided by IfiPower into reclocker, now using Rune.
My impressions:
Bass: Kali goes little deeper
Mids: +/- the same but kali is more open, litter warmer which creates better stereo imagining , music surrounds you more.
High: I think the same as point above , low highs are slightly more open and separate ...
Overall detail for these both (Mambo and Piano) paired with reclocker is enormous and if you have badly or not very well recorded music (especially sometime metal albums) you will hear all music shortcomings .... :shock:
Blackfear

Postby LC1 » 27 Jan 2017, 22:50

Can I resurrect this discussion please?!

I am also having trouble choosing between the Audiophonics I Sabre, Mamboberry LS and Allo Piano offerings.

There is seemingly little difference in quality, but what are the subtle differences in sound?

Anyone got any further insights as to the best option for musicality and detail?
LC1

Postby Blackfear » 28 Jan 2017, 07:57

LC1 wrote:Can I resurrect this discussion please?!

I am also having trouble choosing between the Audiophonics I Sabre, Mamboberry LS and Allo Piano offerings.

There is seemingly little difference in quality, but what are the subtle differences in sound?

Anyone got any further insights as to the best option for musicality and detail?

Hello, I have these three, Mambo LS, Piano DAC and also Piano 2.1 all paired with Kali Reclocker onto Pi3 supplied by Ifi-I Power, also i have made some tweak which were mentioned here on Forum, now i am using tweaked profile OrionV2, i have tested these DAC aprox. 1 month.
My conclusion is that I am back with Mambo LS, i played many songs from pop, rock, metal, classical
Mambo for me offers more details in high frequency and also stereo effect is more open, wider more dynamic.
Pianos are also good but i would said rather flatter then Mambo which is more transparent and live.
ALso Yatsushiro has Mambo and Piano so he could share his findings here...

PS: for microdetails and transparecy i would go for Mambo LS ES9023, for "balanced" sound but flatter go for Piano
I also have in PC Asus Xonar ST which is against Mambo or Piano much worse (no microdetails, non specific and fused bass expression and no wide stereo and also worse dynamics during all freq. spectrum...)

Regards

Vita
Blackfear

Postby LC1 » 28 Jan 2017, 10:24

Hello, I have these three, Mambo LS, Piano DAC and also Piano 2.1 all paired with Kali Reclocker onto Pi3 supplied by Ifi-I Power

Hi Vita,

thanks for your reply, that's exactly what i was hoping for :)

Great insights, thanks. You may have just confirmed my slight bias towards the Mamboberry LS.

What are your opinions on the differences between the Piano DACs? Do you notice any benefit in the 2.1 through the Kali, or are the differences minimal?

How do you house your Pi/Kali/Mamboberry? I would be looking for some sort of case to fit them into, but don't know of any that would fit them well...

Would be great to hear from Yatsushiro on this topic too, if he happens to read this...

Cheers,
Luke
LC1

Postby Yatsushiro » 28 Jan 2017, 11:40

LC1 wrote:
Would be great to hear from Yatsushiro on this topic too, if he happens to read this...

Cheers,
Luke

Of course he reads this!

The simple headline is that I prefer the Mamboberry LS DAC+ with Kali over the 2 Ti PCM152* DACs (IQAudio DAC+ & Piano 2.1) that I have tried, running Rune in a two channel setup. There is a warmth to the sound, it's less clinical, less 'digital' and more expansive. My setup at the moment is:

Rpi1 running OMV as a NAS server
Rpi3 running Rune
Kali
Mamboberry LS DAC+
TDA7498 amp running at 32v
Q Acoustics 2050i speakers

That said, I am running a Piano 2.1 DAC (running Volumio until Rune supports the 2.* functionality of the Piano):

Rpi1 running OMV as a NAS server (as above)
Rpi2 running Volumio
Piano 2.1
TPA3116 amp
Q Acoustics 3020 speakers
Tannoy sub with self built TDA7498MV amp

This is almost as good as the Mamboberry based system, particularly for 'Rock' type music,but not for live performances, orchestral music or female vocals.

If not to confuse things, I also have a Rune Rpi2 system with an IQAudio Dac+, TPA3116 amp with an old pair of Mission 760 speakers. This works very well for general listening (my wife prefers this system) The speakers are very warm, almost showing no difference when driven by the Mamboberry or the Piano.

I thoroughly enjoy my tinkering, can't leave things alone, but if I had to buy one DAC tomorrow, it'd be the Mamboberry LS DAC+, with a Kali.
Yatsushiro

Postby Blackfear » 28 Jan 2017, 12:17

LC1 wrote:
Hello, I have these three, Mambo LS, Piano DAC and also Piano 2.1 all paired with Kali Reclocker onto Pi3 supplied by Ifi-I Power

Hi Vita,

thanks for your reply, that's exactly what i was hoping for :)

Great insights, thanks. You may have just confirmed my slight bias towards the Mamboberry LS.

What are your opinions on the differences between the Piano DACs? Do you notice any benefit in the 2.1 through the Kali, or are the differences minimal?

How do you house your Pi/Kali/Mamboberry? I would be looking for some sort of case to fit them into, but don't know of any that would fit them well...

Cheers,
Luke

Hi
As Yatsushiro said go for Mambo + Kali, I also prefer this combination, although I listen to Metal (mostly) Mambo is more precise, more "live" and you can hear more microdetails in high mids and highs....but be prepared to have precisely tuned your Hifi assembly (amplifier + speakers) mambo is more transparent and more "sharp-transparent" on higs (sharp but not unpleasant..)... anyway i see no big difference betwenn Piano basic and 2.1 in 2.0 mode, because i didnt
compare these two in any details... regarding case I left laser cutted/burned 2x stainless brushed sheets which i drew in CAD, if you are interested i can send you .dxf drawing, assembly is simple by screws and by columns (prefer steel)

Regards

Vita
Blackfear

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Hi-Fi systems