Static IP on Wireless connection

Raspberry Pi related support

Static IP on Wireless connection

Postby MikeC » 24 Jul 2019, 22:09

Hi Folks,
I've had a Rune device that I have been using for quite a while that had a static IP on the Wireless connection. The sd card finally corrupted and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to configure a static wireless connection.
It now defaults to AP mode - so I disabled that.
When I try to configure a static (or a dhcp address) it does not get an address.
I have a bunch of other devices running fine on my wireless router and I have not changed the wpa credentials.

Mike C
MikeC

Re: Static IP on Wireless connection

Postby R101 » 24 Jul 2019, 23:18

You don't say whether you have done a complete re-install but, if not, have you tried deleting any existing configuration file in /etc/netctl ?

The AP will only appear if the Pi can't connect. If DHCP does not work, Rune is probably trying to use a corrupted configuration file.
(Pi 3B, rAudio-1, JLS I2S over USB)
R101

Postby MikeC » 25 Jul 2019, 10:27

Thanks R101,

This was from multiple re-images.
The info in /etc/netctl was very helpful. It showed that I was not creating any wlan config, only contained eth0.
I switched to different hardware (from Pi3b to Pi3b+) and I could wlan connect only to 5gh. Also temporarily lost wlan connection on Raspbian install on 3b+.
I restarted the router and could connect to 2.4gh, but eth0 failed on Pi3b.
Currently leaning toward router issue.
Now the issue is that I'd rather deal with and iffy RuneAudio install than deal with Comcast USA.
MikeC
MikeC

Postby R101 » 25 Jul 2019, 11:17

I'm no expert, but if DHCP does not work with a wired connection, there must be something very basic wrong. If other devices connect to the router OK, the problem is unlikely to be in the router.

You say the 3B+ connects to 5GHz, which sounds right if 2.4G and 5G have the same SSID. Are you sure there is not a problem with the 3B?

Edit: Just a thought, but you are not assigning the same fixed IP to both wired and wireless connections, are you?
(Pi 3B, rAudio-1, JLS I2S over USB)
R101

Postby MikeC » 25 Jul 2019, 19:45

R101 wrote:I'm no expert, but if DHCP does not work with a wired connection, there must be something very basic wrong. If other devices connect to the router OK, the problem is unlikely to be in the router.

Since I now have the Rune working with a static wireless IP address (DHCP on eth0 not working though), I had to put the device back into production on my seasonal rear deck.
R101 wrote:You say the 3B+ connects to 5GHz, which sounds right if 2.4G and 5G have the same SSID.

I actually alter my SSID slightly to reflect the connection speed. I can then verify, or alter, the connection depending on the wlan load or need. In this case I manually connected to 5G when the 2.4G did not work - before rebooting the router.
R101 wrote:Are you sure there is not a problem with the 3B?

I have 7 Pi's, this is the 3rd unit for this test: 1 Pi3B+, 2 Pi3B's.
R101 wrote:Edit: Just a thought, but you are not assigning the same fixed IP to both wired and wireless connections, are you?

Different addressing - even number for eth, odd number for wlan on all my Pi's
This is where the changes to the RuneAudio software get very interesting:
Ever since the introduction of the Access Point mode, I have never been able to put a static (but different) address on both interfaces at the same time. Before the AP, no problems using a static on both interfaces. And since the intro of the AP mode, I have always had to attempt to set wlan static address a number of times before it actually worked. This is a first for the eth0 to stop working - and on multiple devices.

Thanks a bunch for being sounding board and sharing your ideas, my brain shorts circuits when I work on my own stuff. No problem on other peoples equipment, just when it is mine.
MikeC
MikeC

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi