Solutions for streaming music from raspberry pi?

General discussion about RuneAudio. Do not post any support or feature requests here.

Solutions for streaming music from raspberry pi?

Postby johnwalker1 » 27 Mar 2020, 14:14

I'm looking for a solution to stream music to my raspberry pi, which is connected to my USB Schiit DAC > Onkyo Amplifier > CM4 B&W tower speakers. The solution must contain the ability to remotely control the software via my Android smartphone and I do not want to stream the music from my phone over bluetooth / wifi.

Lately I'm becoming more and more interested in signing up for Spotify Premium, as it includes the option to "listen offline". Spotify contains probably 99% of the music I listen to, so I won't have to go out of the way to download / buy music.

RuneAudio definitely looks good - it has native support for my USB DAC and remote controls, but lacks support for Spotify (although it may be implemented in the future). I'm honestly just about ready to use RuneAudio, but I thought I'd check here in case someone has a golden suggestion.

I would REALLY like to use Spotify or another Music as a Service-based solution for this. When I was younger and had more free time I enjoyed downloading music, but lately my library is lacking and the 10$ / month is a very compelling deal.

Other info: I have a NAS hosting my existing media library. The raspberry pi will connect to my network over wifi.

Would love to hear suggestions from people with similar setups. I guess the end goal I have in mind is to reduce time spent hunting / downloading music.
johnwalker1

Re: Solutions for streaming music from raspberry pi?

Postby Bert » 27 Aug 2020, 22:06

Dear, I have Raspberry Pi running on https://www.pimusicbox.com/ MusicBox. It is very stable, even after weeks not using it, it is always online. You can play local files and Spotify. It takes some focus to get aquinted with MusicBox, but Im very happy and have no complaints about the Spotify build in app!

It works only with Spotify Premium account! The interface however is very different from Spotify itself. In fact you start all over again maken playlists etc.

Main interface
Use this setting for Spotify
Bert

Postby Ears of Tin » 26 Dec 2020, 19:28

I don't use Spotify but I believe Rune and it's new and improved successor "rAudio" https://github.com/rern/rAudio-1 supports premium Spotify. Apologies if you've already seen this and it doesn't meet your requirements.

Screenshot_20201226-131329_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20201226-131329_Chrome.jpg (112.9 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
Ears of Tin

Postby Juddero » 28 Dec 2020, 10:41

Bert wrote:Dear, I have Raspberry Pi running on https://www.pimusicbox.com/ MusicBox. It is very stable, even after weeks not using it, it is always online. You can play local files and Spotify. It takes some focus to get aquinted with MusicBox, but Im very happy and have no complaints about the Spotify build in app!

It works only with Spotify Premium account! The interface however is very different from Spotify itself. In fact you start all over again maken playlists etc.

Main interface
Use this setting for Spotify

Finally I had some free days in my Thailand house here and could try out Music box that you've recommended. Really nice features it has. Works really fast and Spotify app is working perfectly there. Thank you for this suggestion!
Juddero

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to General discussion