Simple questions about Tags in Runeaudio

General discussion about RuneAudio. Do not post any support or feature requests here.

Simple questions about Tags in Runeaudio

Postby englishtim » 15 Mar 2018, 18:13

Hi Everyone,

Here are a couple of really basic questions - apologies if they've been answered before, but I couldn't find clear answers when I searched the official docs or the forum:

• Exactly which metadata tagging-scheme does Runeaudio use? Am I correct in thinking that it's some form of ID3? If so, which one?
  • Exactly which tags does Runeaudio use for the "by Albums" and "by Artists" library views, and for the information shown on the Playback screen?

Thanks in advance!

Peace and friendship,
englishtim
Synology DS918+ NAS >
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ > Behringer UCA202 >
    • Denon RCD-M38DAB > KEF Cresta II
    • Pro-Ject Head Box S > Sennheiser HD 650
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B > Behringer UCA202 > Sansui AU-317 > Celestion SL6
englishtim

Re: Simple questions about Tags in Runeaudio

Postby janui » 15 Mar 2018, 21:47

Hi englishtim,
Rune uses MPD to scan and store music metadata. The metadata is derived from the files which are presented to it in the music folder. MPD understands the file formats (including their metadata) which are listed in the command:
Code: Select all
mpd --version
By default MPD stores the metadata which is defined here: https://www.musicpd.org/doc/user/tags.html
Metadata needs to be available in the music file, MPD does not search for missing data.
It is possible to customise the metadata which is stored, this is done by setting the 'metadata_to_use' parameter in '/etc/mpd.conf', see here for details: https://www.musicpd.org/doc/user/config_other.html
You can see the current setting of the '/etc/mpfd.conf' in the debug UI.
Tag 'album' is used for album, tag 'artist' is used for artist. Album is OK, but you could also use ‘albumsort’ (leading ‘The’ omitted). Tag ‘artist’ is tricky, again ‘artistsort’ (leading ‘The’ omitted) could be used, but 'albumartist' could be considered a better choice. For classical music tag 'composer' could be considered even better then 'artist' or 'albumartist'.
janiu
janui

Re: Simple questions about Tags in Runeaudio

Postby englishtim » 16 Mar 2018, 00:21

Hi janui,

That's exactly the information I need. Many thanks for your detailed answer!

Peace and friendship,
englishtim
Synology DS918+ NAS >
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ > Behringer UCA202 >
    • Denon RCD-M38DAB > KEF Cresta II
    • Pro-Ject Head Box S > Sennheiser HD 650
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B > Behringer UCA202 > Sansui AU-317 > Celestion SL6
englishtim

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to General discussion