Shuffle 100 Tracks & Other Feature Requests

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

Shuffle 100 Tracks & Other Feature Requests

Postby vulpespersona » 21 Feb 2016, 00:25

Hello all, I absolutely love this software and appreciate the posts on this forum in troubleshooting setup. I finally settled on Rune after trying some other softwares for the Raspberry Pi and it loads like a dream. A lot of my friends are setting up Pi music servers and Rune comes recommended with high regards.

So, I've been using it without issue for a couple months now and thought I'd point out some minor suggestions in the hopes that possibly a future version might consider some improvements.

My apologies if some of these suggestions have been mentioned before. If so, add my vote for some of these features. In the meantime, thanks for making such a great software! Adding some of these features would all be icing on the cake:

Shuffle 100 Tracks Feature
I've got over 75,000 tracks loaded and this hasn't been an issue at all in terms of cueing tracks or albums but sometimes I like to shuffle the directory. This is do-able but does cause some slow down/lag issues in the interface when loading the playlist, skipping or adjusting volume (while still playing tracks seamlessly, nonetheless!).

Mpod solves this issue by having a feature that shuffles 50 or 100 tracks when you shake the iPhone. I love this as it doesn't get weighed down by loading all the tracks but grabs enough to listen to for a few hours..genius! iTunes should have figured this out ages ago. It would be amazing to have this feature included in the Rune interface so I didn't have to flip back and forth between Mpod and the Rune browser. A bonus would be to have this shuffle feature able to select from individual directories I have set up on the external HD so i don't have to skip through my son's Raffi from the 'Children's Music' folder, it could select and shuffle 100 tracks from the main 'Music' directory.

Scroll Bars on Playback Screen
I love the way this loads on my iPhone (the safari browser with local address bookmarked to the home screen) but sometimes I hit the wheel on the time and skip to the middle of the track on accident when scrolling down to the volume. Ideally there would be two horizontal sliders for track time and volume. It would be sweet if album art and all the playback screen fit on the iPhone screen with no need to scroll.

Larger Play Control Buttons on Playback Screen
Adding to my comments above in regards to the playback screen on an iPhone but the play and skip buttons are a tad small. It would be great if there was single screen as described above with larger buttons included.

Alphabet/Letter Scroll
I think someone else just mentioned this but the ability to quickly jump to the first letter of an artist in my directory would be great instead of manually scrolling all the way down to 'X,Y,Z', which takes 10-20 seconds.

Fix Lists to Read Single Digits Numerically
A few albums have tracks listed numerically 1, 2, 3,...but when playing through these jump after 10, 11, 12 unless they have zeros in front (01, 02, 03....10, 11). It would be great if digits 1-9 were recognized first instead of requiring me to manually add a zero in front.
vulpespersona

Re: Shuffle 100 Tracks & Other Feature Requests

Postby hondagx35 » 22 Feb 2016, 18:49

Hi vulpespersona,

I absolutely love this software and appreciate the posts on this forum in troubleshooting setup.

Thank you for the positive feedback and your suggestions.

Shuffle 100 Tracks Feature

The next release will use ashuffle to implement such a feature.
I have it integrated in my setup and it works like a charm.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby ACX » 23 Feb 2016, 02:20

Hi vulpespersona,
vulpespersona wrote:- Shuffle 100 Tracks Feature
- Scroll Bars on Playback Screen
- Larger Play Control Buttons on Playback Screen

I can confirm all these 3 are already in place the next version of RuneAudio.

vulpespersona wrote:Alphabet/Letter Scroll

This is also something we already had in mind and will be likely included soon.

vulpespersona wrote:Fix Lists to Read Single Digits Numerically

What do you exactly mean with this one?
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby vulpespersona » 29 Feb 2016, 05:15

Thanks for the reply. I'm excited to see how the new version works and especially what ashuffle can do. I like the idea of consistent shuffle with the ability to add tracks to the mix as you go (described in this thread random-ness-t3021.html)

Everything's working so well with the current version I hesitate to start messing with ashuffle, but maybe I'll get into in when I have a chance.

Also looking forward to an iPhone app. That's exciting news. Being able to control volume with the buttons would be amazing!

hondagx35 wrote:vulpespersona wrote:
Fix Lists to Read Single Digits Numerically

What do you exactly mean with this one?

I tried to explain in my post, but tracks that aren't tagged with track numbers are listed in each directory by alphabetical or numerical order. If i have tracks labeled the following those would usually show up like this in a file directory:

1 Airbag
2 Paranoid Android
3 Subterranean Homesick Alien
4 Exit Music (For a Film)
5 Let Down
6 Karma Police
7 Fitter Happier
8 Electioneering
9 Climbing Up the Walls
10 No Surprises
11 Lucky
12 The Tourist

When Rune reads folders with these files it will reorder like this, unless you put 0's in front of the single digits (01, 02, etc.) :

1 Airbag
10 No Surprises
11 Lucky
12 The Tourist
2 Paranoid Android
3 Subterranean Homesick Alien
4 Exit Music (For a Film)
5 Let Down
6 Karma Police
7 Fitter Happier
8 Electioneering
9 Climbing Up the Walls

Not a huge deal, but i have some files in my library, especially vinyl rips that aren't tagged effectively. It would just be nice if the interface listed them in order.

Thanks again!
vulpespersona

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Feature request