self-intruductions~wanna to make a hi-end combo linux based

General discussion about RuneAudio. Do not post any support or feature requests here.

self-intruductions~wanna to make a hi-end combo linux based

Postby geargeeksp » 18 Mar 2015, 00:31

hey guys, Greeting from mainland China( goes without saying , using a proxy....lol)

I am super into both IT and Hi-Fi~the name is Lee.

we are making a electrostatic amp (hi-end level, almost done).
And now we are shopping for solutions for a hi-end dap to make an official combo.
so here is the question, which is better in SQ , arm based linux or microcontrollers if properly designed? (with the same set of hardwares?)

my raspberry pi is already on its way, possbily be here by the end of the day, and I will definately give rune a run.
but either way, I think arm based linux is the future.
the reason i chose rbp was simple, it has native i2s output, but I am not certain if it is the best for my goal , or i should just go with microcontrollers + client-side app kind of combo. or there is a better arm based options , even any idea on which soc gives a better SQ is really appreciated. once again, by SQ, i am only talking about the i2s output quality. since we will have like at least 8 best hi-fi dac chips lined up behind it. (currently thinking maybe 1794, I know 9018 is the best, but we prefer the sound signature of pcm1794 a bit more, and it is easy to make lol )

sorry about my english, to sum it up...

my questions are as followed

1 can runeui do all kinds of DSD native output via i2s ?
2 sq-wise which is better arm based or microcontrollers ?
3 which SoC is the best for its i2s output quality?

and lastly , it goes without saying, I would love to contribute for the part of translation into Chinese at least.
And hopefully , we can contribute in other ways in the near future , like contribute in coding or financially.

P.S. Love this idea and how rune ui looks :D
geargeeksp

Re: self-intruductions~wanna to make a hi-end combo linux ba

Postby Orion » 19 Mar 2015, 12:40

Hi geargeeksp,
thank you for your appreciation.

RuneOS uses MPD as primary audio player backend, so the answer is: we support all the kinds of DSD supported by MPD.

What do you mean with "microcontrollers"?

Unfortunately it is difficult to say, it depends of many factors. Surely the performance is releted to the clock quality, so I think that the best approach is to implement an hi quality master clock (with 2 low jitter oscillators) on the DAC daughterboard.

and lastly , it goes without saying, I would love to contribute for the part of translation into Chinese at least.

You are wellcome! We are refactoring the UI and the backend to make the localization easy to implement, so your effort will be appreciated.

(currently thinking maybe 1794, I know 9018 is the best, but we prefer the sound signature of pcm1794 a bit more, and it is easy to make lol )

What do you think about the AKM dacs? For me they are the best, I like their sound signature, tonal balance and their timbre correctness.

my raspberry pi is already on its way, possbily be here by the end of the day, and I will definately give rune a run.

Great! Try RuneAudio and let us know your experience.

Ciao.
Simone.
RuneAudio - Embedded Hi-Fi music player
SoloStereo - Alla riscoperta dell'alta fedeltà
Orion
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby geargeeksp » 19 Mar 2015, 18:50

Hey orion, thx for your reply, I checked a couple of times actually, but didnt know you made this reply....
and I also can't make any PM, tried~ but fail, maybe it is my system?

I understand that DSD is not really any new-tech in pc-hifi these days, but I read a lot of people can't get the native dsd output (not over pcm) via rbp's i2s output, so i wanna to confirm it , as I can't make anytihng myself, I wanna my guys to have a right info before actually make a dac and found it is not actually supported...

RuneOS uses MPD as primary audio player backend, so the answer is: we support all the kinds of DSD supported by MPD.

What do you mean with "microcontrollers"?

Single-Chip Microcomputer like those can only use c / c++ and assembler language.

We are also trying with this angle, but I prefer arm-based solutions, as it is more powerfu and easier to use.

Unfortunately it is difficult to say, it depends of many factors. Surely the performance is releted to the clock quality, so I think that the best approach is to implement an hi quality master clock (with 2 low jitter oscillators) on the DAC daughterboard.

of course , the master clock is important, but I am not sure if rbp is my best option. as you know , we wanna to make a hi-end system...
for elctrostatic headphone, which we will sell for 20000usd or more.... everything else is pretty much done (dac and amps...) , but the dap is still not certain.

You are wellcome! We are refactoring the UI and the backend to make the localization easy to implement, so your effort will be appreciated.

(currently thinking maybe 1794, I know 9018 is the best, but we prefer the sound signature of pcm1794 a bit more, and it is easy to make lol )

What do you think about the AKM dacs? For me they are the best, I like their sound signature, tonal balance and their timbre correctness.

I have a weiliang ak4399 + xmos one....he really likes them , but for me , I am not sure why it sounds kind of unbalanced , can't really say why, but I prefer the sound from my onkyo av recevier over hdmi over it....but it could be the design , however ak4495 seems to be more promsing ,heard great things about them.

Great! Try RuneAudio and let us know your experience.

I was about to sleep ,but a customer for zen from AU kept me up...and after seeing your reply , i will give it a shot right now.

p.s. I can not figure out how to work with the pm system here....is there any chance for some kind of hardware - software co-op with rune ui?
if yes, who should I contact....?

Cheers

Lee
geargeeksp

Postby ACX » 19 Mar 2015, 22:40

Hi Lee, you can contact us directly via email at info@runeaudio.com.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to General discussion