RuneUI high CPU usage in stream

Please report any bug found here

Re: RuneUI high CPU usage in stream

Postby The Setlaz » 28 Mar 2016, 11:11

Hi Frank,

stream.flac that is shown is no file. It is a flac stream via DLNA from my laptop to RuneAudio. (sorry for not making that clear in my previous post)
To do so, I use "pulseaudio-dlna -c flac" (see https://github.com/masmu/pulseaudio-dlna) on my Ubuntu laptop to stream audio to any network UPnP renderer (in this case RuneAudio).
Using a Android device with any UPnP app (i.e:BubbleUPnP) allowing streaming audio from the phone to RuneAudio should create very similar scenario.

I tried streaming in other format (MP3, WAV) but same issue.

As Pete mentionned, CPU usage only happens when browser tab is being displayed (it doesn't have to be in-focus though... in my screenshots, the Terminal is in focus)

Thanks!
The Setlaz

Postby ACX » 09 Apr 2016, 01:29

Thank you all for reporting this, from your description it seems a client side bug. It's probably some JS code which goes nuts under that specific condition, I'll investigate it to avoid the same behavior in the next release.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby ACX » 15 Apr 2016, 17:08

I'm unable to reproduce the issue in my environment (Firefox/Chrome in Windows 10). I tried with both DLNA streams (via BubbleUPnP) and webradios, but no CPU load rise. Any hint on how to replicate the bug?
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby The Setlaz » 15 Apr 2016, 20:41

It should just happen. I attached 3 other screenshots streaming from my Laptop through DLNA and playing Webradio.
The 3rd one is the same Webradio but the circle drawing didn't start (bug?) and when it doesn't start there is no CPU load.

Is the circle being drawn in your test?
Attachments
Webradio_no_circle.png
Webradio and no blue circle
Webradio_no_circle.png (177.09 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
Webradio.png
Webradio
Webradio.png (172.58 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
Stream.png
From Laptop to RuneAudio
Stream.png (186.79 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
The Setlaz

Postby PeteB » 15 Apr 2016, 20:46

ACX wrote:I'm unable to reproduce the issue in my environment (Firefox/Chrome in Windows 10). I tried with both DLNA streams (via BubbleUPnP) and webradios, but no CPU load rise. Any hint on how to replicate the bug?

I am sure I can reproduce it, later tonight or tomorrow, on a laptop, Ubuntu 14.04, Firefox. From in my notes, it goes from <10%CPU to >35% CPU, on Intel I5 2.5GHz x 4 with 8 Gb of memory, when the window w. the RuneAudio Playback screen has focus. Running Top in local terminal will show that Firefox peaks at 70% CPU.

It is not completely consistent, but easy to replicate.

If you cannot reproduce it, perhaps it is not a Rune issue at all? I am on WiFi most of the time, and you know from my other posts how much trouble that has been. I am one of the people who could not keep a stream running for long, until mpd-watchdog was added (thank you Frank!).

P.
PeteB

Postby ACX » 15 Apr 2016, 23:51

Ok, I managed to reproduce it, and the problem is indeed in the knob animation. The CPU load jumps up only when the knob is animated, which doesn't happen always. I'll dig into it.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby The Setlaz » 15 Apr 2016, 23:58

Great! That seems to match exactly what I'm seeing!
Let us know as soon as you push a fix :P
The Setlaz

Postby ACX » 16 Apr 2016, 18:44

I just pushed a fix to the issue, but I hadn't time to test any possible case yet. Please update your players at the latest commit and give me a feedback about it.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby PeteB » 16 Apr 2016, 21:49

Tested, and the original problem seems to be gone.

However, I noticed that if a scroll through a long list of entries (for example a list of radio stations on Dirble), the CPU usage spikes while scrolling. Not sure if that was the case before, and I just noticed it now, or if that is new.

Also, when clicking on the border of the timer in the Playback screen it seems to change as if advancing, and sometimes shows three different tones of blue. Is clicking on that supposed to do something new? Or is it supposed to be disabled?

P.
PeteB

Postby The Setlaz » 17 Apr 2016, 11:10

Hi,

Seems to be fixed on my end too! Thanks a lot for that!

Added a screenshot for the blue knob color Pete was talking about. (need to click & drag to draw the circle)

Regarding the scrolling I do have CPU load as well when scrolling but I get it on any website so it seems more of a browser thing rather than a RuneAudio problem.
Attachments
3_shades_of_blue.png
3_shades_of_blue.png (78.94 KiB) Viewed 1403 times
The Setlaz

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to Bug report