RuneAudio+R e5

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: RuneAudio+R e5

Postby BWare » 09 Oct 2020, 12:20

First off, thanks for this release.

As a recent convert to Rune Audio, I was fiddling around to get Bluetooth streaming to work (Pi3B+ -> BT Audio Device). I am currently using: R+ version 20201007 (upgraded from the image I downloaded from the first post in this thread) on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3 (BCM2835 • 4 Cortex-A53 @ 1.4GHz • 1GB).

I went ahead and from the settings enabled the Bluetooth hardware and disabled WiFi. Turned on Bluetooth on my phone, but no Pi showed up. So, logged in as root and checked if the modules were loaded. There were some modules loaded related to Bluetooth, but the Bluetooth service wasn't running. Looking at the service file, it tried to start a shell script: /srv/http/bash/system-bluetooth.sh that was not available. So, I created it, based on a script I found elsewhere in this forum (if clause added by me):
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

if [ "`rfkill | grep bluetooth`" != "" ]; then
        bluetoothctl system-alias "$( cat /srv/http/data/system/hostname )"
        bluetoothctl agent NoInputNoOutput
        bluetoothctl default-agent
        #bluetoothctl pairable on
        sleep 1
        #bluetoothctl discoverable on
        #bluetoothctl discoverable-timeout 0
fi

After that, the Bluetooth service started, but bluealsa failed. Another weird thing: bluetoothctl could not find a controller. Wasn't there a recent change in the way Bluetooth was handled on the Pi? So, I added a line to /boot/config.txt
include userconfig.txt

A file where I could fiddle around with my settings, without interfering with system stuff. To this file I added
### User configuration changes in here

# Enable onboard audio
dtparam=audio=on
# Enable onboard bluetooth
dtparam=krnbt=on

And rebooted. Now the system shows up as a Bluetooth device on my phone and the onboard audio works. As there are no settings in the GUI for Bluetooth - pairing with Bluetooth devices, etc. - I left it at that and use the shell to connect to a Bluetooth speaker for the moment, which works great, until you modify the system/mpd settings.

To connect to a speaker, login as root and issue the following command:
bluetoothctl

This should put you in a new shell:
Agent registered
[CHG] Controller XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX Pairable: yes
[bluetooth]#

Now enter the following commands (in the bluetootctl shell):
scan on

You will see a list with nearby discoverable devices:
[bluetooth]# scan on
Discovery started
[CHG] Controller XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX Discovering: yes
[NEW] Device YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY SBoom700

Connect to the speaker (after turning off the scan)
scan off
pair YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY
trust YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY
connect YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY

The prompt should now change to the name of the device you connected to. As mentioned earlier, opening some settings pages causes the system to disconnect the Bluetooth connection. From the bluetoothctl shell simply enter the following commands to restore it:
power off
power on
connect YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY

Happy listening
BWare

Postby PiPPiP » 10 Oct 2020, 13:52

Hello Rern,

Is there any easy way to upgrade from e4 to e5 via ssh / CLI? the addon feature only ever reports:
Download from Addons server failed.
Please try again later.

Getting physical access the the SD card to reflash is an involved process due to the way I have mounted / connected the rpi, so I am just looking for a short cut to upgrade the system without having to take the setup with screwdriver?

Thanks PiPPiP
PiPPiP

Postby rern » 11 Oct 2020, 04:35

@PiPPiP,

Got a cheap one from ebay. This extension serves me well.

download.jpg
download.jpg (8.55 KiB) Viewed 1941 times

rern
rAudio @ https://github.com/rern/rAudio-1
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi 3B > SMSL M8 DAC
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern

Postby rern » 11 Oct 2020, 04:53

(from another thread)
The Shocker wrote:...
I use mpd on 2 other machines in my house, and one of the great features of mpd is that you can set up mpd servers as satellite servers of your main mpd server. That allows the main server to share it's database and when you do updates, the updates run local on the main machine, making updating much faster. I don't see any way to setup Rune as a satellite server for mpd. Is this option available? If not, is it something that might be considered?

To explain the convenience of this. You still need to configure a music library, but you need to make sure that the music library has the same relative path to the music from the defined music library. Then you set up a satellite server and tell it the primary server. When you fire up mpd, it instantly knows about all your music. No need to scan anything. And if I kick off a scan of my music library from my PC, all my other mpd servers automagically™ get udpated also.

RuneAudio+R e5 queries and sorts each list modes info files to optimize performance. It'll be fine as long as R+R e5 is the primary server.
As you have other players running, anything to share in comparison would be interesting.

rern
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern

Postby rern » 11 Oct 2020, 04:57

(from another thread)
The Shocker wrote:1. Is it OK with change the root password, or will it break something?
2. Can I login as root and run pacman -Syu to update the system, or will that break something?

I may be a little paranoid, but I don't like the idea of leaving an unpatched device on my network with a root password that's public in the rune documentation.

Yes for both.

rern
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern

Postby R101 » 11 Oct 2020, 11:38

@rern

It seems time +R e5 got a dedicated forum space, and an entry on the main downloads page. It is certainly stable enough now.

A couple of small bugs:

The problem of the highlight in the playlist not moving to the next track has returned.

When using the Chrome browser on a tablet, tapping on the performer's name to get the bio/lyric brings up the on-screen keyboard, which obscures the buttons. Would it be possible to have the keyboard only appear when the field is tapped?

Thanks.
(Pi 3B, rAudio-1, JLS I2S over USB)
R101

Postby rern » 11 Oct 2020, 14:52

BWare wrote:...
As a recent convert to Rune Audio, I was fiddling around to get Bluetooth streaming to work (Pi3B+ -> BT Audio Device). I am currently using: R+ version 20201007 (upgraded from the image I downloaded from the first post in this thread) on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3 (BCM2835 • 4 Cortex-A53 @ 1.4GHz • 1GB).

I went ahead and from the settings enabled the Bluetooth hardware and disabled WiFi. Turned on Bluetooth on my phone, but no Pi showed up. So, logged in as root and checked if the modules were loaded. There were some modules loaded related to Bluetooth, but the Bluetooth service wasn't running. Looking at the service file, it tried to start a shell script: /srv/http/bash/system-bluetooth.sh that was not available. So, I created it, based on a script I found elsewhere in this forum (if clause added by me):

Thank you for sharing. It's been long overdue to have a working Bluetooth on Arch Linux Arm which RuneAudio+R e5 based on. Since July 2, 2020, with kernel 5.4.50, Bluetooth overlay dtparam=krnbt=on has been added. No workaround needed anymore.

With some revisions, Bluetooth scan and connect now works again and no more choppy audio!

The latest kernel 5.4.70, a lot of upgraded packages and this Bluetooth support, R+R e6 is coming.

rern
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern

Postby surfninja » 12 Oct 2020, 17:00

Thanks Rern and e5 team.

Last week I upgraded from rune4 to Re5. Very easy and once I figured out the GUI (and the DAC HAT was was using), I've been running it daily.

I haven't read the entire Re5 thread but wanted to thank you and your team for a great RP player. I'm sure there are a lot of features I'm not using (or even aware of) but so far, very nice.

RP2B, Allo BOSS HAT, mac pre, kenwood mono blocks, magneplanars, ...
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 2B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 4B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi Zero W
surfninja

Postby kiko » 13 Oct 2020, 02:34

Just downloaded RuneAudio+Re5 the RA5 chould not stay connected to my NFS server.

I added my. main iTunes library and only a fraction of the items were added to the databse:

mpc stats
Artists: 8950
Albums: 3481
Songs: 34061
mpc list
artists = 8950
aibums = 3481
titles = 27510

ITunes
Songs 99,156
Albums 8014

I have serveral more iTunes libraries to add, since we use iTunes Match, and there is a 100K limit to songs in a iTunes library.

I also have DTS and HiFi folders that canʻt be loaded into iTunes.

The main issue I had is RA+RE5 did not create the directories in /mnt/MPD to mount the NFS shares. I manually created /mnt/MPD/NAS and then the iTunes and HiFI directories and then the system was able to mount the shares.

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3
RuneAudio+R e5 20201007
kiko

Postby RolandBlaze » 13 Oct 2020, 16:42

@Rern

The latest kernel 5.4.70, a lot of upgraded packages and this Bluetooth support, R+R e6 is coming.

Fantastic news, look forward to it and thanks as always for keeping the project alive! :D

@r101

It seems time +R e5 got a dedicated forum space, and an entry on the main downloads page. It is certainly stable enough now.

Couldn't agree more! Sad that the forum Admins don't acknowledge his great work by doing this without us trying to prompt them (although they may have their reasons we are unware of).. the least they could do IMO.

Roland.
RuneAudio+R e6 20201108 
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.
RolandBlaze

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi