RuneAudio+R e3

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: RuneAudio+R e3

Postby vaughan » 19 May 2020, 22:46

I'm sure that most readers of this forum understand all this, but I thought that I'd write this up in case any of this is of any use to anyone.

When I set up my Rune Audio system I copied the .mp3 and .m4a files from my iTunes library to /mnt/MPD/SD. I then found that it took about half a second for Rune Audio to list the contents of an album (this is a pi 3B), the reason being that it is programmed to do the following until it succeeds in finding album art:
    1. Search for an album art file in the same directory as the music files. (It looks for any of the following: cover.jpg, cover.png, folder.jpg, folder.png, front.jpg, front.png.)
    2. See if there is any album art in one of the music files. This uses kid3-cli which takes about 300 ms to run, even if there is no album art in the specified music file.
    3. Query ws.audioscrobbler.com to look for album art.
Even after all that, it would frequently find no album art for many of the albums in my collection.

So I figured that based on the above, the best way to speed this up would be to copy across album art files for the albums. I found that on my iTunes system (Windows), a lot of the directories contained a hidden system file called Folder.jpg, which indeed contains artwork for the album in question. Because it's a hidden system file, by default it's not visible in File Explorer or if you run 'dir' at a command prompt, but it is listed if you run 'dir /a'. You can remove the 'hidden' and 'system' attributes from the files by running 'attrib -s -h <path>\Album.jpg', and then copy them across to /mnt/MPD/SD. After that, I found that listing an album took more like 150 ms (and artwork is shown for many more of my albums), so I was delighted with the improvement.

Vaughan
vaughan

Postby rern » 20 May 2020, 12:04

simon wrote:...
Its a long list of folders, which are artists names, and then there will be album folder under that

'30 Seconds To Mars'
AC-DC
Adele
Aerosmith
Almighty
Alphabeat
'Annie Mac'
'Arcade Fire'
'Arctic Monkeys'

Try restart MPD and update database:
Code: Select all
systemctl restart mpd
mpc rescan

rern
rAudio @ https://github.com/rern/rAudio-1
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi 3B > SMSL M8 DAC
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern

Postby rern » 20 May 2020, 12:26

vaughan wrote:... I then found that it took about half a second for Rune Audio to list the contents of an album (this is a pi 3B), the reason being that it is programmed to do the following until it succeeds in finding album art:
    1. Search for an album art file in the same directory as the music files. (It looks for any of the following: cover.jpg, cover.png, folder.jpg, folder.png, front.jpg, front.png.)
    2. See if there is any album art in one of the music files. This uses kid3-cli which takes about 300 ms to run, even if there is no album art in the specified music file.
    3. Query ws.audioscrobbler.com to look for album art.
Even after all that, it would frequently find no album art for many of the albums in my collection.

So I figured that based on the above, the best way to speed this up would be to copy across album art files for the albums. I found that on my iTunes system (Windows), a lot of the directories contained a hidden system file called Folder.jpg, which indeed contains artwork for the album in question. Because it's a hidden system file, by default it's not visible in File Explorer or if you run 'dir' at a command prompt, but it is listed if you run 'dir /a'. You can remove the 'hidden' and 'system' attributes from the files by running 'attrib -s -h <path>\Album.jpg', and then copy them across to /mnt/MPD/SD. After that, I found that listing an album took more like 150 ms (and artwork is shown for many more of my albums), so I was delighted with the improvement.

Please note that album art / coverart files must be named as any one of:
cover.jpg, cover.png, folder.jpg, folder.png, front.jpg, front.png
or
Cover.jpg, Cover.png, Folder.jpg, Folder.png, Front.jpg, Front.png.

Coverarts fetched from lastfm / ws.audioscrobbler.com can be identified and saved directly to current track directories by an icon at the bottom left corner.

rern
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern

Postby klassikmann » 23 May 2020, 12:00

Issue in RuneAudio+R e3 20200522 

I'm using the "Small cover art" setting. My folder.jpg files are mostly 600x600 at 96 dpi. But some of them are smaller and not quadratic, e.g. 500x450. Such an album selected by "browse by coverart" of in the library view is missing the description (album title, artist, genre, ...). Instead three tiny dots are presented.

klassikmann
RPI 3B + HifiBerry Digi+ Pro + rAudio-1
klassikmann

Postby vaughan » 23 May 2020, 15:28

rern wrote:Coverarts fetched from lastfm / ws.audioscrobbler.com can be identified and saved directly to current track directories by an icon at the bottom left corner.
rern

That's brilliant - thanks, rern, I hadn't noticed that feature. However I think that there's a problem: when I use this to save cover art, it creates a file cover.jpg in the wrong directory - it's saving it in the parent directory, rather than the directory which contains the audio tracks in question. (I'm testing this from the Album view, running the latest software build which I have just downloaded. If I manually move cover.jpg to the correct child directory then the cover art shows up ok.)

Many thanks,
Vaughan
vaughan

Postby rern » 25 May 2020, 08:33

Update 20200525

- Add User Guide: Addons | question mark icon
- Fix saving fetched coverart in track view
- Minor improvements

rern
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern

Postby klassikmann » 25 May 2020, 08:53

rern wrote:Update 20200525

- Add User Guide: Addons | question mark icon
- Minor improvements

rern

As a reminder only: The issue described here (https://www.runeaudio.com/forum/runeaudio-r-e3-t7014-210.html#p29679) is still present.

klassikmann
RPI 3B + HifiBerry Digi+ Pro + rAudio-1
klassikmann

Postby vaughan » 25 May 2020, 14:31

rern wrote:Update 20200525
rern

This is a brilliant feature - thanks so much for doing this.

Vaughan
vaughan

Postby jlynton » 25 May 2020, 16:02

Re3 is getting better and better. Is there a way that I can use a USB Wifi dongle instead of onboard? My LogiLink dongle, which has worked with 0.3, 0.4, and 0.5, cannot be seen by RuneAudio+R e3.
jlynton

Postby rern » 26 May 2020, 05:43

klassikmann wrote:Issue in RuneAudio+R e3 20200522 
I'm using the "Small cover art" setting. My folder.jpg files are mostly 600x600 at 96 dpi. But some of them are smaller and not quadratic, e.g. 500x450. Such an album selected by "browse by coverart" of in the library view is missing the description (album title, artist, genre, ...). Instead three tiny dots are presented.

Please post a screenshot of the issue.

jlynton wrote:... Is there a way that I can use a USB Wifi dongle instead of onboard? My LogiLink dongle, which has worked with 0.3, 0.4, and 0.5, cannot be seen by RuneAudio+R e3.

Please post results of these:
Code: Select all
pacman -Sy usbutils

# results to post
lsusb
ifconfig

rern
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern