RuneAudio+R e2 - An improved version of RuneAudio

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: RuneAudio+R e2 - An improved version of RuneAudio

Postby rlsten » 03 Jan 2020, 17:08

R101 wrote: it is not possible to use a local touch screen to configure the network because there is no virtual keyboard.

I could not get anything to update until until I ranked the package servers. After expanding the partition, it still reports the original size. The local screen settings icon stopped functioning after it failed to save the setting, so I modified config.txt to get the local 7" display the right way up.

Hi rern,

I just tried RuneAudio+R-e2 with my new Raspberry Pi 4B and the offical RPi 7" screen. For the most part it works very well. It is much easier to configure, with most things working right out of the box.

However, I experienced the same problems noted above: i.e., no virtual keyboard to configure changes on the 7" screen, the local screen settings failed to change the rotation, and then stopped functioning entirely. I added
Code: Select all
lcd_rotate=2

to /boot/config.txt and the screen rotated 180 degrees. This is important because the screen's normal rotation puts the power plug on the bottom, which makes it hard to stand the screen up.

I also had issues updating the image. The first time I tried, the update seemed to want to update everything, including things I hadn't installed, such as the bittorrent client. After that, all further attempts at updating failed.

I reflashed the image and followed R101's advice and ranked the package servers before updating. The update process again tried to update everything and seemed to fail. I continued to try the update and eventually it just worked. I don't know the exact sequence of things I tried. At first, I also wasn't able to expand the partition, but eventually that too worked.

Other than the above, it's a great step forward. Thanks very much, Rern!

Rod
rlsten

Postby MusicLover22 » 04 Jan 2020, 18:51

Thanks, i'm testing this version now.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Where is the scrobble last.fm support? Is it removed or am i missing something?
2. How can get this version of RuneAudio to monitor my music folder and add new music automatically to the current playlist? (Is it possible?)

Regarding question 2, i see there's an option called:

"Auto Update" which claims to: "Automatic update MPD database when files changed."
Not sure if this actually adds to the current playing playlist or not, because everytime i toggle this option on, and move away from the menu and come back it's toggled off again. What is required for this to work? I am currently mounting a SMB path in read only permission, does rune audio require write in order to monitor auto?

Anyway, i only care for auto update if it can add new songs automatically to the current playling playlist, if it cannot it's not of any use to me.

Does anyone know if there's a way to auto add new contents from a monitored folder automatically to the playlist? Thanks in advance.
MusicLover22

Postby Edues » 04 Jan 2020, 21:01

Hello,
How to reset the configuration by default.

Thanks
Edues
Edues

Postby gearhead » 04 Jan 2020, 22:12

Rern,

You may want to set the top and bottom menus to be default 'on'. It took me a while to figure out how to turn them on once I loaded the image to try it out. I can see how some may want to hide them, but they are pretty helpful at first startup and for setup...

Also, FYI, the kernel we built for 0.5b has mods to it to allow it to play up to 356kbps on PCM and a few patches for the 5102 and some DSD patches as well (IIRC). Some of these are already in the latest kernel compared to the old 0.5b, but some are still not yet there when I last checked. I still have to build nginx with the pushstream module to work correctly with the old UI. How are you using a default Arch nginx package for this?

My feedback: UI is nice, but the seems quite laggy on my 3b+. It requires some flags to mount my NAS via nfs. To get the Library to show the mounted NAS, I had to have MPD rebuild the library after reboot. Also, the auto detect CIFS mount did not work for me at all. It shows the share, but did not mount it. Pretty slick if it works. Once it tried to mount the CIFS share, I could not remove it.

Gearhead
gearhead

Postby AndyF » 05 Jan 2020, 11:13

Hi Gearhead,

detection of shares work fine on my setup - i am able to mount them after clicking on it. Even removing is no problem. There was a problem in earlier versions - did you update to latest version via addons-menu?
My NFS-share is mounted "rw" - no problem here.
I think MPD-library-update must be started manually after mounting a new share - it's by design.

GUI seems to response slightly slower then "Original-UI" - but MPD is triggered at once and only graphical feedback has some minimal delay on me RPi3 (but it seems it is by design due to pushstream). So IMHO it doesn't feel laggy on daily use.

I like rern's version because of standard arch-linux support and his modern GUI with much more features. It's easier to update/maintain and use standard things like /etc/fstab and others.

Next "official" version should by a combination of your/janui's and rern's work!

regards, Andy
AndyF

Postby s.k. » 05 Jan 2020, 11:30

AndyF wrote:
Next "official" version should by a combination of your/janui's and rern's work!

Totally agree!
Please give a try...
RPi2B Rev 1.1, Allo DigiOne, ATXRaspi, 16x2 OLED display - running rAudio
s.k.

Postby ceejayemm » 05 Jan 2020, 16:55

I would totally agree with AndyF and S.K above. Rern's latest version is great and has no problems for me - however we should get back to a single,supportable version AND get the web site updated to reflect this too.

Chris
ceejayemm

Postby gearhead » 05 Jan 2020, 21:01

I, too, would like a version that could be periodically updated to incorporate later kernels and such, but, for me, the reason for Rune was to be true to the audio quality. Also, it must have a responsive UI. To do so, IMO, we need some features which are not yet in the arch maintained kernel and some other packages which are not in the standard Arch package list. Hence the reason there has been a purpose built RuneOS to go with the RuneUI.

The OG Rune was back in 2014 when SD cards were expensive and the only RPi was a Pi1. The original version could fit on a 2G SD card! Well, it is 2020 and SD cards are cheap, the smallest SD cards I have seen recently are 16Gb, and the RPis are much faster. The need for a pared down version of the packages to keep the image small, IMO, are not nearly as great as they once were. Also the OG Rune had pared down versions of a number of packages with functionality removed that are/were not needed or added compared to the standard Arch packages (Samba, MPD, etc.). Some standard packages have developed to incorporate some of the OG Rune 'special functionality' over the years. Well, with more speed and more storage and these developments, we can move to standard Arch packages for some but still need to fill in with some AUR packages for stuff that is not in the standard Arch package list and a still need to modify a few standard packages to get some of the functionality the UI needs as well as add some audio capability that is not yet in the Arch kernel. Also, with teh RPi2 and later, we can have graphical UI on the RPi which was not even possible with the Pi1! In summary, I do not think the original focus of the project is compatible with just going 'pacman -Syu' and letting it update. I do not know how ACX and Simone feel about this, but that is my take. If you do this with a Rune image, 'Things (tm)' will break.

The Rune versions 0.3b up to 0.5b are all based on php5.x. We updated PHP to 5.6.33 (I think) in the 0.5b image to incorporate a more current ssl package and incorporate other php5 bug fixes, but php5 is deprecated and no longer maintained. Rern's image uses all standard packages and is also based on php7 but appears to be a ground up rewrite of a RuneUI. In comparison, Janui and I have been working to get the basic 0.5b OS/UI updated to use a standard php7.x packages, to use more standard packages (mpd, etc) and some 'standard' AUR packages as well as some custom packages. The image is 'mostly there' but there are still functionality issues with the UI which we have not yet resolved. There are also functionalities which extend the Rune, one example is a snapcast feature which has been developed for multi room capability (https://github.com/colinleroy). I'd love to add this once the basic functionality is restored... Some of the original features of the OG Rune UI are no longer functional (Jamendo and Dirble for example) and these could be removed. Dirble now requires a login and it appears that Jamendo could be added back, but there is a new API which is incompatible with the OG Rune code and this would probably have to be built form scratch if it were to be incorporated.

Gearhead
gearhead

Postby holzboa » 10 Jan 2020, 19:09

Thanks for your effort - i use Runeaudio with a Raspberry Pi 2 for 2 years and it's awesome - just works.
As i got a new Raspberry Pi 4 i try out some Distros (Retropie, Lakka, OMV....).
Usually i use Endeavour OS.

Some problems occured:
I installed RuneAudio+R_e2-RPi4.img.xz, got updates, did mirror ranking but i ended up with a confused web-interface.
First autofs/nfs shares got imported but later on they didn't show up on the Library screen any more.
Artists, albums ... all gone - funny though it still showed 2 genres but they were not accessible.
I was able to add 2 radiostations via this screen as well but later on when pushing the "Webradio" button i end up with a blinking rune audio screen.
I decided to do
pacman -Syu

282 pakets got updated and after a reboot i got a pretty emtpy screen,
only the upper bar with the list on the left and search on thr right side without function.
Rebooted again, did
ssh root@192.168.x.xxx
and somehow i was back and things showed up as they should.
Still Webradio got the same behaviour after the pacman update.
Bash shows root@runeaudio+re1:. What happened to re2?

About addons:

TRANSMISSION:

wget -qN --no-check-certificate https://github.com/rern/RuneAudio/raw/master/transmission/install.sh

chmod 755 install.sh
./install.sh ***
./install.sh: line 13: tcolot: command not found
i has no write permission.

Just before i did mkdir -p /usr/share/transmission/web becaue the script first complained about the missing directory.

ARIA:

wget -qN --no-check-certificate https://github.com/rern/RuneAudio/raw/master/aria2/install.sh

chmod 755 install.sh
./install.sh

. Install Aria2 ...
..............................................................................................................................
./install.sh: line 13: tcolot: command not found
.i has no write permission.

As i'm logged in as root and folders got same permissions as all the others in /usr/share i don't know how to go on.

RUNEAUDIO+R E1 - IMPORT WEBRADIO:

wget -qN --no-check-certificate https://github.com/rern/RuneAudio-Re1/raw/master/importwebradio.sh

As the adress that is called is not existing i don't wonder this doesn't work.
I added 2 stations manually and they show up as /srv/http/data/webradios/http:||mp3stream3.apasf.apa.at:8000.

But my biggest problem is i still can't import one auto/nfs share.

$ showmount -e 192.168.0.164

Export list for 192.168.0.164:
/home/urschl/Downloads 192.168.0.1/24

$ cat /srv/http/data/system/fstab-zot

192.168.0.164:/home/urschl/Downloads /mnt/MPD/NAS/zot nfs defaults,noauto,bg,soft,timeo=5,rw 0 0

I added the share via GUI/Sources. It's listed tike the others, got green flag but

$ ls -l /mnt/MPD/NAS/zot

show different permissions. I changed that.
Still my files won't get imported.

I connected a second USB DAC (Shanling M0), turned out that wasn't a good idea.
When i go to GUI/MPD i get the buttons but no audio outputs any more.

$ cat /etc/mpd.conf

audio_buffer_size "4096"
auto_update "yes"
bind_to_address "0.0.0.0"
db_file "/srv/http/data/mpd/mpd.db"
filesystem_charset "UTF-8"
follow_inside_symlinks "yes"
follow_outside_symlinks "yes"
log_level "default"
log_file "/var/log/mpd.log"
max_connections "20"
mixer_type "none"
music_directory "/mnt/MPD"
pid_file "/var/run/mpd/pid"
playlist_directory "/var/lib/mpd/playlists"
port "6600"
replaygain "off"
state_file "/var/lib/mpd/mpdstate"
sticker_file "/var/lib/mpd/sticker.sql"
user "mpd"
volume_normalization "no"
zeroconf_enabled "yes"
zeroconf_name "RuneAudio"

input {
plugin "curl"
}

decoder {
plugin "ffmpeg"
enabled "no"
}

resampler {
plugin "soxr"
quality "very high"
}

audio_output {
name "RaspberryPi Analog Out"
device "hw:0,0"
type "alsa"
auto_resample "no"
auto_format "no"
mixer_control "PCM"
mixer_device "hw:0"
}

audio_output {
name "RaspberryPi HDMI Out"
device "hw:0,1"
type "alsa"
auto_resample "no"
auto_format "no"
mixer_control "PCM"
}

audio_output {
name "RaspberryPi HDMI Out 2"
device "hw:0,2"
type "alsa"
auto_resample "no"
auto_format "no"
mixer_control "PCM"
}

audio_output {
name "FiiO USB Audio Class 2.0 DAC"
device "hw:1,0"
type "alsa"
auto_resample "no"
auto_format "no"

So the second DAC wasn't recognized at all.
To get life back to the MPD settings i tried changing settings to auto update and auto play.
Playing audio still works (autoplay as well), only one time i got some high pitched noises, the DAC is used for audio out.
Auto update was a really bad idea, i'm back to: Artists, albums ... all gone - funny though it still showed 2 genres but they were not accessible.
How to get my output back? Any ideas anyone?
holzboa

Postby MusicLover22 » 11 Jan 2020, 01:39

I just tested a 1 year old beta of runeaudio and i experience it working a lot better than this one, is there any particular reasons i should have a lot of trouble with this more modern version on a pi 3b with a hifiberry dac + pro?

the issues i experienced are as follows:

auto update not working
cover art is not being grabbed from the embedded mp3/flac files even when available.

version that is from 2018 that works good with my pi is: post29027.html#p29027

but i would prefer using this one as the gui changes are pretty nifty.
MusicLover22

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi