RuneAudio+R e2 - An improved version of RuneAudio

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: RuneAudio+R e1 - An improved version of RuneAudio

Postby Alien8 » 10 Oct 2019, 08:41

rern wrote:@tixs,

Since you don't like virtually everything about RuneAudio+R e1 and you've tried it, you should stay with your current version.

rern

I have to respectfully point out that since the last 2 or 3 updates for Re1.2 the stability of the system has declined. I too get pretty much the same issues.

So yesterday I flashed the 'old' Re1.1 and that pretty much works fine from the start albeit without the ability to do updates since the latest versions have migrated too far away. Even the library builds correctly over wifi (a major problem since Re1.2 for me)...

While I really appreciate all your time and efforts, and I'm sure we all here do, there appear to be some major issues since those last versions. If you could provide a way to debug to some of us, that might help.

It seems reasonable to believe that there are some who don't have issues with their hardware configuration and they won't complain about it either... if one experiences problems, this is pretty much the only place to come to.

Personally I understand that you would like to move on and get Rpi4 support up and running. Fact is, the older versions are still around and probably not so easy to replace, financially or technically (e.g. built in a dedicated enclosure). If the new software is stable, there is no reason to upgrade the hardware.

I can't believe that this has to go the same way like with major cell phone companies, every update reduces usability so you get 'forced' to throw out and get the newer hardware.... that's the beauty of open source software we can prevent this.

As always, I'm personally more than willing to devote some time in testing and debugging but I sense some apprehension when some issues are reported...

HTH
RPi2B Rev 1.2, AUDIOPHONICS I-SABRE AMP DAC ES9023, Audiophonics ATX, hd44780 LCD running R+Re6
Alien8

Postby kiddy » 10 Oct 2019, 09:10

@rern Good afternoon! don't be offended by us. We do not doubt your talent. Just in RuneAudio + R_e1.2 "- Expand micro SD card partition to full." the same does not work. Maybe when creating an image from your version, some files were not written. Or some technical problem, or you need to rewrite the archive to file encoder.
Thanks anyway for your work
with respect
kiddy
kiddy

Postby rern » 10 Oct 2019, 15:40

Guys,

As always, bug reports and suggestions are welcome as long as they're in constructive fashions. Otherwise I've just ignored them. But since my post might be a misleading so I should clear the air up.

It's about his earlier post. So I don't want to waste my time for that kind of attitude anymore. If he wanted to talk about design, he'd better be a damn good one which obviously not. He doesn't like it that much so why bother?

Anyway, It's still and always be fine for anyone to tell that he/she likes or doesn't like the design. But to critique, which even more welcome, a solid knowledge is required.

Now let's get back to our business as usual.

rern
rAudio @ https://github.com/rern/rAudio-1
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi 3B > SMSL M8 DAC
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern

Postby tixs » 10 Oct 2019, 21:07

@rern:

I don't want to fan the embers but a (short) reply seems necessary:

If a read my earlier posts correctly (and those of others responding) I made a few bug reports, basically all of which were confirmed by other users. One was solved (LAN static IP), while the others seem to persist even though it was stated that some of them were also solved. So I reported back that it doesn't work at least for me with the most recent version. If I installed something incorrectly, I'm happy to take the blame. The last version (11) pre Re1 worked fine in most of these aspects which is why I chose to go back for the time being, and that may be a solution for others who need those specific features as well. And it used to be quite stable which is - please allow me the irony - always a useful feature from a user's perspective.

About two months ago I made also a comment on design (which always has aspects of personal taste) which was also reasoned. And to add to that: Design serves a purpose. It can be distincitve but it should not distract. See, for example, the widely acclaimed Braun design by Dieter Rams (an approach copied by and decisive for the success of Apple) - and how far they came (down) since Braun is owned by Gillette. Philippe Starck may be famous and rich but many of the objects designed by him are barely usable (and he admits that). I think the earlier design of RuneAudio in its cleaneness was closer to the quality of the earlier Braun design than the current one is. (If you wish to understand the previous sentence correctly, it's a compliment.) Not sure why my comment raised your anger two months later. Not sure either why you asserted that I would not like "virtually everything" about RuneAudio even though I explicitly stated the opposite:

Sorry for being outspoken on this point - I do however very much appreciate the hard work and the constant support by the current and very dedicated developer team (janui, rern and others), so I do hope that comments like mine do not put them off in any way but are just taken as a user's comment (which may or not be shared by others) meant to make RuneAudio even better!

And more on a side note: I worked a lot in the media, including typography and design. I think I can claim to have a certain knowledge.

tixs.
tixs

Postby AndyF » 11 Oct 2019, 19:19

@kiddy

Try a fresh install with an empty formatted USB-Stick - I think your problems are caused by wrong converted system-settings. This can crash the whole page and changed settings wouldn´t be saved. On some of my tests it was the same behaviour.

regards, Andy
AndyF

Postby Toube » 11 Oct 2019, 21:09

Anyone here using 3B+ successfully with e1.2 version?
Can someone provide a link to download the older e1.1 version. I just can't get the e1.2 version to work with my 3b + version.

And many thanks to Rern for his hard work.
Toube

Postby rern » 12 Oct 2019, 05:14

Hi Toube,

Arch Linux Arm versions for RPi:
    RPi1, RPi Zero - ARMv6 Raspberry Pi
    RPi2, RPi3 - ARMv7 Raspberry Pi 2/3
    RPi3B+ - ARMv8 Raspberry Pi 3
    RPi4 - ARMv8 Raspberry Pi 4
RuneAudio+Re1 is for RPi2, RPi3.

Build "RuneOS" - RuneAudio system from scratch is almost ready. It should be applicable for all generations of RPi. You'll be able to build one for your RPi3B+ yourself.

rern
rAudio @ https://github.com/rern/rAudio-1
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi 3B > SMSL M8 DAC
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern

Postby Toube » 12 Oct 2019, 05:22

rern wrote:Hi Toube,

Arch Linux Arm versions for RPi:
    RPi1, RPi Zero - ARMv6 Raspberry Pi
    RPi2, RPi3 - ARMv7 Raspberry Pi 2/3
    RPi3B+ - ARMv8 Raspberry Pi 3
    RPi4 - ARMv8 Raspberry Pi 4
RuneAudio+Re1 is for RPi2, RPi3.

Build "RuneOS" - RuneAudio system from scratch is almost ready. It should be applicable for all generations of RPi. You'll be able to build one for your RPi3B+ yourself.

rern

Hi @rern,
Sounds super. I did not realize that B+ was not in the list for this one, my bad.
So in soon.. will be this year or earlier.. tease us a bit :)

-Toube
Toube

Postby Toube » 12 Oct 2019, 19:07

I found a great working solution.. Roon audio + ropieee as endpoint.. if you have a spare workstation or laptop the it's simple and beautiful.. doesn't take long to configure.
I think I will stick with this solution for now as it works.. yes Roon license costs a a few dollars a month but worth it imo.
Just a workaround for runeaudio:)
Toube

Postby klassikmann » 14 Oct 2019, 09:52

Issue regarding coverarts

Last time I generated coverarts from scratch I found several entries in
Code: Select all
/srv/http/data/tmp/list-longnames.log

All entries reflect to directories excluded in MPD through a .mpdignore file.

I think coverart generation should respect the .mpdignore settings.

klassikmann
RPI 3B + HifiBerry Digi+ Pro + rAudio-1
klassikmann

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi