Rune UI is slow

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Rune UI is slow

Postby dynobot » 29 May 2019, 15:15

Golgi wrote:I know it's not really a solution, but last evening I switched to Volumio for the time being.
Looks and works roughly the same as RuneAudio and I don't have to wait half a minute for the interface to refresh.
Once the issue with RuneAudio is resolved, I just pop the RuneAudio microSD card back in & update.... :)

Golgi

Volumio has its own host of bugs and issues. imo all free software is very buggy but I guess thats the nature of the beast. My hats off to any dev who spends their time and energy making these tools available for us to use. However the quest for new features seems to always outweigh the need for robustness. Over the years I probably switched every few months trying to find something more stable, only to be met with more glitches after frequent updates etc. This is a great hobby but all this back and forth is really pushing me towards a consumer product that works 100% of the time. This is especially true when I introduce other non-hobbiest to the software, they have little patience for glitches and when they do happen it makes me look bad for suggesting a product that is not reliable. If you want a diy set up that is solid, but not as slick, just install a bare bones OS + MPD + Spotifyd then use Cantata as a front-end on your computer. It will be rock solid but not as slick and pretty as Rune/Volumio et.al.
dynobot

Postby rern » 29 May 2019, 16:46

Have you guys tried RuneUI Enhancement ?

rern
rAudio @ https://github.com/rern/rAudio-1
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi 3B > SMSL M8 DAC
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern

Postby dynobot » 29 May 2019, 18:20

I tried the UI Enhancement it worked until I started having problems

Starts at post 86....I have about 10-15 posts after that trying various solutions but no luck

runeui-enhancement-t4207-550.html

My problem seems to be local, I think one person tried to duplicate the issue by flashing new etc. but was not able to replicate the problem. In short I lose WiFi permanently when I use it. I need to re-flash a new Rune OS. So I can't use it.
dynobot

Postby AndyF » 29 May 2019, 20:00

RuneUIe works like a charm on my setup. I'm on 0.5b and my RPi is connected with LAN to my FritzBox-Router.
Much better like buggy Volumio ...

Original UI has problems if webservices like Dirble or last.fm are down.

Regards, Andy
AndyF

Postby dynobot » 29 May 2019, 23:30

RuneUIe work[ed] like a charm on my setups too, until it was updated, then for some reason, I started getting problems. I would suppose 99% of people it works great too. imo Rune has come a long way, not dinging it or the devs in any way....great work and a great player.
dynobot

Postby RandomRuneUser » 30 May 2019, 00:11

dynobot wrote:Would something like iftop or some other network monitoring tool be of use to determine what is trying to connect to what and holding up the UI?

using iftop I can see lastfm-api-vip1.phx1.cbsig.net as possibly being the problem....any way to remove this from Rune?

I ran a trace on my router and saw timeouts with my pi connecting to api.dirble.com that corresponded closely to the delays in the UI. Just blocking that IP did not work, but wildcard-blacklisting dirble.com on my pi-hole did.

(^|\.)dirble\.com$

If you don't have control over your DNS, probably you could edit the hosts file on your rune box (or whatever the equivalent is ... I'm not super familiar with arch linux.)

Edit: can confirm that adding the following to /etc/hosts works:

127.0.0.1 api.dirble.com dirble.com
RandomRuneUser

Postby xmute » 30 May 2019, 14:57

I can confirm that RandomRuneUser`s solution,
works for me too.
xmute

Postby dynobot » 30 May 2019, 17:40

RandomRuneUser wrote:
dynobot wrote:Would something like iftop or some other network monitoring tool be of use to determine what is trying to connect to what and holding up the UI?

using iftop I can see lastfm-api-vip1.phx1.cbsig.net as possibly being the problem....any way to remove this from Rune?

I ran a trace on my router and saw timeouts with my pi connecting to api.dirble.com that corresponded closely to the delays in the UI. Just blocking that IP did not work, but wildcard-blacklisting dirble.com on my pi-hole did.

(^|\.)dirble\.com$

If you don't have control over your DNS, probably you could edit the hosts file on your rune box (or whatever the equivalent is ... I'm not super familiar with arch linux.)

Confirmed this did the trick ..... thanks RRU
dynobot

Postby dragos_nedelcu » 30 May 2019, 20:34

RandomRuneUser wrote:

(^|\.)dirble\.com$

Please explain how to do it step by step... should i connect through runeaudio.local and modify a file? Or take the simcard and open it in windows and look for a file to modify?
dragos_nedelcu

Postby RandomRuneUser » 30 May 2019, 22:31

dragos_nedelcu wrote:
RandomRuneUser wrote:

Please explain how to do it step by step... should i connect through runeaudio.local and modify a file? Or take the simcard and open it in windows and look for a file to modify?

Just

1. connect to your pi via ssh (default username and password are root/rune I believe). (For Windows, putty is a good SSH client.)

2. nano /etc/hosts

3. Add the following line to the end of file:

Code: Select all
127.0.0.1       api.dirble.com dirble.com

4. Save (ctrl-O, enter) and exit (ctrl-X).

No need to reboot or anything.

Edit: added more detail.
RandomRuneUser

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi