Raspberry Pi/Runeaudio often can't find Ayre QB9 DSD

Please report any bug found here

Raspberry Pi/Runeaudio often can't find Ayre QB9 DSD

Postby charlesttchen » 07 Nov 2014, 01:35

Dear all, I've been using Runeaudio 0.2 with Ayre QB9/non-DSD for a few months and can't live without it! After upgraded to QB9/DSD, I haven't been able to set it up smoothly. First of all, Runeaudio 0.2 played music in bits and pieces. I can't get the music going for more than 5 seconds without pausing for a few minutes. As you know that's unbearable. I tried using Runeaudio 0.3 beta but it can't recognize Ayre QB9 DSD at all. At one point I saw Ayre USB DAC in the audio output section but next time it's gone. I tried switching 3 different USB cables and none of them has stable result.

It it possible that certain DACs requires more CPU power from the player?

Other than that, in my set up, UI is very often to hang with the "CONNECTING" message going forever. Turn the power off and on can't fix the issue and I've re-installed Runeaudio 3 times since last night.

Any thought? Thank you!!
charlesttchen

Re: Raspberry Pi/Runeaudio often can't find Ayre QB9 DSD

Postby ACX » 07 Nov 2014, 02:02

Hi charlesttchen,
are you using a PSU of at least 2A of current? DACs are not CPU hungry but they could be current hungry.
Please post your debug info like described in this post (refresh the debug info page a couple of times before copying the content).
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby charlesttchen » 07 Nov 2014, 14:47

Hi ACX, Thank you so much for the prompt reply. Yes I do use linear power supply with 2A current power. To be safe, I tried the power supply came with squeezebox touch (which is 5V/3A) and the results are still the same. Ayre/QB9 uses internal power supply so I don't think it's a issue there.

I focus on Runeaudio 0.2 as it's closer to working. Now I can play music to analog output, airplay to USB DAC, but can't play any internal/NAS music file to USB DAC. Runeaudio turned to "Pause" when I pressed "Play". Here is my debug info (sorry for the long post, I'm to sure if I did it right)

EDIT: debug info posted via Pastebin
http://pastebin.com/j0FEx5Ca
charlesttchen

Postby AndreR » 07 Nov 2014, 18:44

charlesttchen wrote:I focus on Runeaudio 0.2 as it's closer to working. Now I can play music to analog output, airplay to USB DAC, but can't play any internal/NAS music file to USB DAC. Runeaudio turned to "Pause" when I pressed "Play". Here is my debug info (sorry for the long post, I'm to sure if I did it right)

Maybe it's just a matter of configuring/enablingthe right audio output for MPD as active, from your log seems the only active one are the lineout and HDMI on the Raspberry.
Try to logon onto the RuneAudio device via a remote session (for, example if you are running windows, download putty.exe on your local machine from the first hyperlink on this page: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html
Run Putty, enter the IP address of your Rune device and, when prompted enter, root as username and rune as password.
When the console session is established, please type mpc outputs
You should be shown a list of outputs listed like this:
Output 1 (xxxxx...xxxx) is enabled/disblaed
Output 2 (yyyyy.yyyy) is enables/disabled

if the USB output is disabled, try to type mpc enable, followed by the output number you want to activate: e.g. mpc enable 3, should you wish to enable Output 3.
At that stage the content in the library should be playing via MPD.
AndreR

Postby charlesttchen » 08 Nov 2014, 06:38

Thank you so much AndreR! I enabled the audio output and it can play USB stick via USB output. That's great.

However, when I connect a powered HDD to the rPi USB port and try updating the database , the yellow lights on rPi went dark and on a few times over the next 5 minutes, while both web GUI and Putty are not responding. The same situation happen when I try updating database on NAS.

Appreciate for your help!!

Best Regards,
Charles
charlesttchen

Postby AndreR » 08 Nov 2014, 11:45

charlesttchen wrote:However, when I connect a powered HDD to the rPi USB port and try updating the database , the yellow lights on rPi went dark and on a few times over the next 5 minutes, while both web GUI and Putty are not responding. The same situation happen when I try updating database on NAS.

Hi Charles, although both your USB DAC and the HDD drive are powered separately, the behavior you are seeing could be ascribed to an insufficient current output from the power supply of the Raspberry.

I'd try to follow these steps:
    - power off your Raspberry
    - remove the HDD drive from the USB port it's connected to
    - power back on the Raspberry
    - without connecting to it via the browser, connect to its console via putty
    - type mpc outputs
    - among the outputs you should see one entry which reads 'Output x (bcm2835 ALSA) is enabled
    - type mpc disable x (where x is the number associated to the bcm2835 interface) (alternatively, you could type mpc enable only y, where y is the number assigned to your USB DAC
    - connect to your Raspberry using your browser
    - Go to Menu/Settings and turn off the USB automount feature
    - Go to the Menu/Sources
    - You should now see only the mounted share(s) from your NAS
    - Click on Rebuild MPD library and let it finish completely with the database rebuild process
    - Try playing a track from your library which is now located only on the NAS share
    - Go back to the Menu/Settings page and re-anable the USB automount feature
    - Power everything off
    - Connect the USB HDD drive (if you have to)
    - Restart your Pi and see if the database of the files on the HDD can be rebuilt.
If all the above worked, then I would definitely try to get a better power supply for your RaspPi - get one which has 2A output. The reason why in the above steps the output to the Raspberry on-board output is disabled is that MPD it is said to get particularly CPU-hungry when outputting to multiple devices at the same time, so by disabling the bcm2865 one and keeping active only the Ayre (USB) one you should have less CPU load.
Hope this works.
Last edited by AndreR on 08 Nov 2014, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
AndreR

Postby ACX » 08 Nov 2014, 12:05

charlesttchen wrote:Here is my debug info (sorry for the long post, I'm to sure if I did it right)

The best way is to use Pastebin, otherwise we'll have a lor of very large posts around and we'll end with a huge forum database.
I've edited your post moving all the debug data on Pastebin.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby charlesttchen » 09 Nov 2014, 01:57

Thank you again AndreR. I switched to another linear PSU with 3A capability, and now the NAS database update can be done. All other outputs are disabled except for the USB output. But I still can't play any file from my NAS. Runeaudio turned into pause+occasionally broken sound for 1 second, as my previous post. Does that mean QB9 DSD is particularly CPU/current hungry ? I can't really find any PSU that can do more than 3A...

Here's my debug file http://pastebin.com/YJ2zPhFb (Thank you ACX)

Best REgards,
Charles
charlesttchen

Postby ACX » 09 Nov 2014, 02:00

Let me understand it better: was your DAC working with 0.2-beta?
Have you tried to switch between different kernel version in the Settings screen? If not give it a try. Reboot after applying the switch and see if something changes.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby charlesttchen » 09 Nov 2014, 10:59

Thank you ACX!

QB9(non-DSD) + 0.2beta: Everything OK

QB9(DSD):
0.2beta: Can see USB DAC output. Airplay OK. USB stick play OK. NAS play: Runeaudio paused forever with occasion 1-second-music every few minutes.
0.3beta: Cannot see USB DAC at MPD/web GUI. Here is the debug file http://pastebin.com/eCXSG5L6
0.3 Alpha: Can see USB DAC output. Airplay OK. USB stick play OK. NAS play: Runeaudio paused forever. Debug file: http://pastebin.com/Xuh633TF

Best Regards,
Charles
charlesttchen

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Bug report