Raspberry Pi Model B+

Raspberry Pi related support

Raspberry Pi Model B+

Postby ACX » 14 Jul 2014, 10:14

It has been announced today:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/#introd ... del-b-plus

The Model B+ uses the same BCM2835 application processor as the Model B. It runs the same software, and still has 512MB RAM; but James and the team have made the following key improvements:

• More GPIO. The GPIO header has grown to 40 pins, while retaining the same pinout for the first 26 pins as the Model B.
  • More USB. We now have 4 USB 2.0 ports, compared to 2 on the Model B, and better hotplug and overcurrent behaviour.
  • Micro SD. The old friction-fit SD card socket has been replaced with a much nicer push-push micro SD version.
  • Lower power consumption. By replacing linear regulators with switching ones we’ve reduced power consumption by between 0.5W and 1W.
  • Better audio. The audio circuit incorporates a dedicated low-noise power supply.
  • Neater form factor. We’ve aligned the USB connectors with the board edge, moved composite video onto the 3.5mm jack, and added four squarely-placed mounting holes.

We hope it won't suffer from the same USB/Ethernet problems of the old one :?
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Re: Raspberry Pi Model B+

Postby DustySeven » 14 Jul 2014, 21:51

Here is a overview of the new unit from Adafruit Industries. Hope this helps those that are looking for more info.

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... b?view=all
DustySeven

Postby ACX » 14 Jul 2014, 22:42

DustySeven wrote:Here is a overview of the new unit from Adafruit Industries. Hope this helps those that are looking for more info.

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... b?view=all

Nice, very detailed overview. Thanks for the link.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby metalrob » 15 Jul 2014, 06:46

Seems that we can kick our digi's and dac's now. The same processor power again- that's disappointing. I think it is time to concentrate on a more powerful platform like CUBIETRUCK. That's the most promising one for me. I'll get mine latest tomorrow. Let's see what this can do.

Greetingz
metalrob

Postby Peter » 15 Jul 2014, 06:54

Mine's ordered, good to know it is much more energy efficient. Will be interesting to see who is first off the blocks with the revised I2s DAC. I will still be able to use the external, with S/PDIF converter, but I was just about to purchase an I2s DAC, quite popular on this site, when this happened. 4 USB ports is great, no need for an external hub, and still one port free. :)
Peter

Postby DustySeven » 16 Jul 2014, 00:49

We may have a HUGE issue with the new raspi. Yes there is a updated usb/ethernet chip but reading the adafruit thing again it appears that I2s is part of the 40 pin GPIO array. That means cards that connect on bottom of the pi will need short jumper cables to work. Top cards like the wolfson may hit the ports
Last edited by DustySeven on 16 Jul 2014, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
DustySeven

Postby DustySeven » 16 Jul 2014, 00:52

metalrob wrote:Seems that we can kick our digi's and dac's now. The same processor power again- that's disappointing. I think it is time to concentrate on a more powerful platform like CUBIETRUCK. That's the most promising one for me. I'll get mine latest tomorrow. Let's see what this can do.

Greetingz

They used the same processor and similar board layout to keep it compatible with all the software and hardware already out there for the Pi. Comparing it things like the cubietruck is a flawed. The raspi was designed as a small linux computer to get kids into programing. The DIY and Maker community made into what is now. I bet we will see a more powerful verison latter on.
DustySeven

Postby Midnight » 21 Jul 2014, 09:24

ACX wrote:We hope it won't suffer from the same USB/Ethernet problems of the old one :?

There is no reason why it should be any better. Quite the opposite: if you are using all available USB ports things will get worse :|

DustySeven wrote:They used the same processor and similar board layout to keep it compatible with all the software and hardware already out there for the Pi. Comparing it things like the cubietruck is a flawed. The raspi was designed as a small linux computer to get kids into programing. The DIY and Maker community made into what is now. I bet we will see a more powerful verison latter on.

There is already a much more powerful board targeting the same community with a similiar price range: the Beaglebone Black ;) And still the BBB is the most low end device I'd use for projects like Runeaudio.

Edit: And by the way: The B+ model is compatible with most existing hardware, not all hardware. Also the old enclosures won't fit.
Midnight

Postby ACX » 21 Jul 2014, 09:30

I've just tested the latest 0.3-alpha on the new model B+ and everything worked out of the box without any problems (I could not test I2S output yet).
Two things I noticed:
1) the analog output has finally decent quality
2) current dropouts problem (when plugging USB devices) seems fixed
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby Midnight » 21 Jul 2014, 09:56

ACX wrote:1) the analog output has finally decent quality

Do they use some other chip/driver here? IIRC the bad sound quality was caused by only 10 bit resolution?
Midnight

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi